For all the N-body Skylark haters

Flybrian

Now, this particular car has lots of 'minor' problems like only the left rear brakes working when you panic stop (??), but that's not the point...

Posted Image

This car was bought by me on 7/2001. It had only 62,000 miles. When I drove every week to Hilton Head , I had a deer accident. A deer appeaded in front of the car. The v shape of bumper knocked down the deer and the car went over the deer. The policeman told me that the v shape of the front probably saved my life. Sometimes the deer goes through the windshied. The deer ran away and I had a mechanic fix the hood as best as he could.

Clicky

So there you go. Give up some love for the shovelnose Skylark.

Posted Image

But...

If it's a Dodge Spirit R/T, it doesn't really matter. It would slap almost everything in its class newer or older silly with its Turbo III 2.2L DOHC 16V I-4!

Chrysler does have vast experience with turbo 4 cylinders, partially out of necessity when they were broke and didn't have any other alternative for performance variants on their various FWD cars. I'll be interested in seeing how this hot new Caliber SRT-4 performs. I'll bet it will be a barnburner. Look out Cobalt SS/SC, WRX, and Mazda Mazda3 MazdaSpeed 3!

Lame. So very very lame.

To clarify once and for all:

THIS is a REAL Buick Skylark:

Posted Image

And also, I don't EVER want to see the word "shovelnose" used again unless it's being used in regards to the REAL "shovelnose;" the 1932 Packard Light Eight:

Posted Image

Any questions?

Chrysler does have vast experience with turbo 4 cylinders, partially out of necessity when they were broke and didn't have any other alternative for performance variants on their various FWD cars. I'll be interested in seeing how this hot new Caliber SRT-4 performs. I'll bet it will be a barnburner. Look out Cobalt SS/SC, WRX, and Mazda Mazda3 MazdaSpeed 3!

Indeed! Isn't supposed to have 300 horsepower, and be capable of at least 155 mph with no lift issues?

If I could have any older Chrysler turbo car, I would like the Dodge Daytona IROC R/T that has the same drivetrain as the Spirit R/T, but in a much sexier shape. But, I guess I had better have a beater for a spare car should the occasional head gasket (or, more likely) or timing belt bust loose. Make mine emerald green please with Infinity Sound.

Turbo Mopars are still mostly useless because of thier FWD. Just my opinion.

I've always loved the Buick Skylark cowcatcher nose. Love it or hate it you'll

never mistake one for a Camry or Accord. More than you can say for a

Corsica or Lumina of the same era!

Indeed! Isn't supposed to have 300 horsepower, and be capable of at least 155 mph with no lift issues?

If I could have any older Chrysler turbo car, I would like the Dodge Daytona IROC R/T that has the same drivetrain as the Spirit R/T, but in a much sexier shape. But, I guess I had better have a beater for a spare car should the occasional head gasket (or, more likely) or timing belt bust loose. Make mine emerald green please with Infinity Sound.

If I recall, that same turbo was in the Shadow. 2.2 Turbo right? When my dad's worked t was a pocket rocket. Very quick little car that handled well thanks to the suspension and fat tires. Of course the ride was horribly choppy. The turbo burned out a few years ago unfortuneately. Spirits were good cars, not the prettiest, but as Fly here has just inadvertantly demonstrated, there's a whole lot uglier machines out there. My main issue with them was the way the rear class was lamost vertical...t would have looked much better if it sloped I think.

And yeah, the Caliber SRT-8 will make at 300 horsepower. If they can workhalf the magic with the suspension tuning Mistubishi can with t heir Evo (which is on the same platform), it should be a real killer.

Edited by Dodgefan

Well, Chrysler had several states of tune for the 2.2L engine (I'll go fuel injected and on):

2.2L TBI SOHC 8V I-4 (90-99hp; it varied through the years)

2.2L MPI SOHC 8V I-4 TURBO I (142-146 hp)

2.2L MPI SOHC 8V I-4 Intercooled TURBO II (174hp)

2.2L MPI SOHC 8V I-4 Variable Nozzle Turbo (VNT) Intercooled TURBO IV (174hp, but quicker spooling than TURBO II. Featured moveable stainless steel vanes instead of a wastegate to regulate exhaust gasses. Dropped due to issues cited with variable nozzle technology, rare)

2.2L MPI DOHC 16V I-4 Intercooled TURBO III (225hp. Features Lotus designed heads and balance shafts.

From what I gather, the Shadows never had the TURBO III engine, but did feature all other versions. The TURBO III was relegated to the Spirit R/T and Daytona IROC R/T with manual transmissions.

Imagine a car the size & proportioned like the old Lexus IS300s

but with a tubrocharged straight-6 along the lines of the SRT4.

That would be much better than some torque-steer happy econobox.

Oh, undoubtedly.

But everyone has different preferences and automakers have cost constraints to deal with.