GM sales rise!!; Ford, Chrysler slip

GM sales rise; Ford, Chrysler slip

Despite an expected decline in U.S. industry sales, GM reported a 3.4 percent total sales increase, compared with February 2006. The sales gain was due to an 11 percent retail sales increase. Retail and fleet sales by GM dealers in the United States totaled 311,763 vehicles, compared with sales of 301,545 in February 2006. Fleet sales were down 18 percent due to a planned 25 percent reduction in daily rental sales.

"Our pickup, SUV and crossover business was terrific across the board. Our customers are telling us that we have the winning formula - the best products, industry-leading fuel economy and the best value," said Mark LaNeve, vice president, GM North American Sales, Service and Marketing.

Retail truck sales were up 16 percent compared with February 2006 and total truck sales were up 7 percent. Leading the retail sales gains were full-size pickups, up 36 percent compared with February 2006, with positive showings by Chevrolet Avalanche, up 110 percent and Silverado, up 34 percent. GMC Sierra retail sales volume was up 27 percent compared with last February.

Driven by an increase in Chevrolet Aveo retail sales, GM's economy car segment retail volume was up 17 percent compared with February 2006. A 45 percent retail increase in Pontiac G6 and a 65 percent increase in Chevrolet Impala retail sales, compared with the same month a year ago, pushed GM's mid-car segment retail volume up 25 percent. [data sheet]

Ford

Ford's February U.S. sales declined 13 percent compared with a year ago. The company's February sales totaled 211,150, compared with 244,021 a year ago. Lower sales to daily rental companies (down 16,000 units) accounted for about half of the decline. Sales to individual retail customers were down 8 percent compared with a year ago.

Our objective is to deliver more of the products that people want and, in doing so, stabilize retail share," said Mark Fields, Ford’s President of The Americas. “We're encouraged by the results we have achieved over the past several months. Our new products and our initiatives to strengthen our brands are starting to pay off."

Ford brand sales were down 15.2 percent, Mercury was down 13.2 percent, Lincoln was up 10.8 percent, Jaguar was down 28.3 percent, Volvo was virtually even at plus 0.7 percent, and Land Rover fell 10 percent. [data sheet]

Chrysler

Chrysler Group reported sales for February 2007 of 174,506 units; down 8 percent compared to February 2006 with 190,367 units.

Chrysler executives say their new product offerings, however, are a sign of things to come. The Dodge Avenger posted sales of 5,205 units. Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited continued to post strong sales in February with 9,240 units, a rise of 63 percent over February 2006 sales of 5,673 units. Sales of the Jeep Compass increased 3 percent over the previous month with 4,071 units compared to 3,965 units in January 2007. The Dodge Caliber finished February with sales of 9,900 units, an

increase of 14 percent compared to last month with 8,672 units.

Chrysler brand sales fell 16 percent, Jeep fell 5 percent, and Dodge fell 5 percent. [data sheet]

The numbers I saw were 3.4% increase for GM and 11% for Toyota.

If this was correct I will still be glad to take the 3.4% at this time of year.

The listing I saw had Saturn doing a whopping 59% increase. I take this as the imporvment with the new added models.

Big losers were Pontiac, Hummer and Buick. It said Saturn sold more cars than Hummer and Buick combined. This just goes to prove you need more than 3 or 4 models in a dealer.

GM is not out of the woods yet but we can see the light at the edge of the woods. If GM can keep improving things are falling into place as they should with this world platform deal, The real challange will be the next contract with the UAW and how to handle the retirements and health care to save more money.

GM's incentives were the same as last year. Ford's incentives rose 9%, Chrysler's dropped 6 percent (though were still the industry's highest), and Honda's incentives more than tripled(!) The article I'm getting this from did not include any other manufacturers.

Toni, I think G6 is really helping GM. But I also see a bunch of them here in Orlando which are rental fleets.

While GM in general is getting away from fleets, G6 may be the next rental queen after the new Bu comes out.

Toni, I think G6 is really helping GM. But I also see a bunch of them here in Orlando which are rental fleets.

While GM in general is getting away from fleets, G6 may be the next rental queen after the new Bu comes out.

Sadly yes, but I see a lot of Camrys, Altimas and Mazda6s as rental fleets lately as well.

The G6 was a hit, no doubt that. Yes, it has a chunk of old GM thinking in it, and yes it has an old pushrod, and yes it was bastardized by Oprah. But it's really a great bang for the buck and it is one good car.. Even my import humper friends say it's good, after being in my car and a rental.

I can totally see the next rental queen being the Five... I mean Taurus and the Sebring.

Edited by ToniCipriani

Lincoln was up 10.8 percent

EXCELLENT!

Jaguar was down 28.3 percent, Volvo was virtually even at plus 0.7 percent, and Land Rover fell 10 percent.

These three puzzle me...

Seems like a lot of new product has been hitting the showrooms at PAG, (New XK, LR2 & LR3, C30) so why are sale still down? Or maybe the product hasn't hit yet and I'm just having a senile moment. These brands are also showing a lot of potential through concepts, hopefully it'll pay off.

The Dodge Avenger posted sales of 5,205 units.

Haven't even seen one on the road.

Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited continued to post strong sales in February with 9,240 units, a rise of 63 percent over February 2006 sales of 5,673 units.

I've seen A LOT of these on the road though!!! It seems to be a grand slam.

All you G6 haters out there... it's one of the cars that helping GM and it's selling. So there you go. :D

I've said for a while that the G6 was catching on big, especially with my generation.

Then evok called me an idiot.... Of course, he also said that Daimler would never sell Chrysler as well.

Hmm.

Good for GM.

The fact that the Avenger sold 5k units and it's a brand new model is quite impressive...especially since the Aura is still struggling to get above 3500 units. The Caliber is doing well and the Wrangler is doing great (which is what happens when you redesign a vehicle properly). Now if only they could fix the rest of their problems.

Hey do not get that " everything is beautiful " feeling just yet. Front page of the business section in local paper. " Japanese take all top spots on quality " It was talking about the Consumer Reports top ten. Before you all tell me F them, the average Joe still gets the Japanese is better jammed down there throat all the time. The only American cars really mentioned were the Vette and the Fusion/Milan. Gonna take a lot of convincing still to the masses....

The product is in the pipeline.... the next target: UAW

+1,000,000

Indeed.

How soon people forget that these increased sales mean nothing if GM is LOSING big money on every one.

While products are the key to this turnaround, it is certainly not the only factor that will bring success.

Oh, and thank you to the crappy hosting company that runs this place. Triple post for the lose.

Edited by bcs296

GM's incentives were the same as last year. Ford's incentives rose 9%, Chrysler's dropped 6 percent (though were still the industry's highest), and Honda's incentives more than tripled(!) The article I'm getting this from did not include any other manufacturers.

Honda's are more reflective of what they've been in the past, which is close to zilch, and the fact that Ridgeline needs some money to pump it up. curiously odyssey and pilot seem to post improvements, but they have a lot of money too.

GM's incentive spending is dwindling, which is admirable. I bet Toyota's was higher than last year's already high level [relatively].

Indeed.

How soon people forget that these increased sales mean nothing if GM is LOSING big money on every one.

While products are the key to this turnaround, it is certainly not the only factor that will bring success.

Oh, and thank you to the crappy hosting company that runs this place. Triple post for the lose.

Yes, but increases RETAIL sales and decreased FLEET sales and still making sales GAINS means GM is selling their cars to people, not rental car companies, and those people want to buy them (very slowly perception can be changed). I'd rather GM lose another $1 billion in 2007 and sell more cars and establish trust in their cars then just care about profit.

Edited by vrazzhledazzle

Yes, but increases RETAIL sales and decreased FLEET sales and still making sales GAINS means GM is selling their cars to people, not rental car companies, and those people want to buy them (very slowly perception can be changed). I'd rather GM lose another $1 billion in 2007 and sell more cars and establish trust in their cars then just care about profit.

It *will* take time for GM to gain back a solid following. There are so many Toyota humpers out there now and they'll take a long time to convince.

This is great news. Good to see at least one American auto company doing reasonably well under very difficult conditions. Now we have to wait and see if the trend repeats in MARCH, APRIL, MAY and so forth. Then we can say for sure that GM is back as a viable company. Let us hope the February figure is not a one month anomaly. One thing that does bother me is the rising gas price. Hope that won't spoil GM's comback party :pbjtime:

GM fans used to be that way, but somehow Toyota's little tin cans won them over. Think how the tables'll turn once GM gets all their brands straightened out.

I hope the "staightening out" part comes soon - it's too confusing for the simple consumer.

Rejoice there might be light at the end of the tunnel. The G6 is an excellent car having riden in two one a GT Coupe and the other a G6 4cylinder Sedan. They ride excellent and that 3.9 has excellent kick with the 6spd. stick who cares if it is an OHV?

What were G6 sales as all I saw was Pontiac was down 15.6% Inever saw a total for each model.

While were at it what about G5 sales I am seeing a lot of them on the roads here.

Pontiac dropped 5.9% from January to February. This includes the few out of production cars (Grand Am, Bonneville, Sunfire, GTO). Minus those the change was around 3%. Majority of the drop was the Solstice (who would buy a roadster in winter anyways?).

More details here:

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet...amp;docid=33729