Blue Devil Caught on Camera...in final tuning phase

Dragon

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/image/2...42006171336.jpg

2009 Corvette Blue Devil confirmed and in final tuning phase - Daily Auto Insider

Lutz: Like developing a new Corvette.

April 13, 2007

By ALISA PRIDDLE, PHOTOGRAPHY BY CHRIS DOANE FOR BRENDA PRIDDY & COMPANY, MORGAN SEGAL, AND THE MANUFACTURER

April 2007

It appears the “Blue Devil” Corvette already is so quick it has even outrun a freeze on large and powerful rear-drive cars at General Motors, and it’s not even finished yet.

“That one is too late to stop. That’s almost finished. It’s in the final stages of tuning,” Bob Lutz, vice chairman in charge of product development, told CARandDRIVER.com during a recent interview in which he outlined a series of rear-drive projects that have been put on hold until the auto maker knows how strict the proposed new corporate average fuel efficiency (CAFE) regulations will be.

Mounting casualties so far include migrating the next Chevy Impala to the Global RWD Architecture (formerly known as Zeta), an ultra Cadillac based on the 2003 Sixteen concept, potential plans for a rear-drive Cadillac DTS, and work on the smaller Global Small RWD Architecture to produce a baby Caddy.

But the Blue Devil is still on track, despite a gestation period that Lutz described as challenging, in acknowledging, for the first time, the car’s existence. “It’s a very difficult vehicle development. This thing has so much power that we have to explore a dynamic envelope that we’ve never explored before. We want the vehicle to be safe and we want it to be predictable, even at speeds that no mortal is ever going to attain in the United States. That’s our obligation. We’re really into a speed and power realm that General Motors has never been in before. We’re way up there with Porsche Carrera GTs and Ferraris.”

Lutz won’t divulge engine details except to say the displacement of the new powertrain is greater than the pushrod 7.0-liter V-8 in the Z06.

In terms of horsepower, Lutz said: “We’re certainly not going to be at 600 because some of our competition is at 600. So, 600 is a number that is not satisfactory for us. I would say comfortably in excess of 600 is the way I would term it.” As for 700 horses, “that would be a stretch. Tom Stephens (GM’s head of powertrain) would say, ‘maybe in the second year.’”

Which brings us back to our long-held contention the car is packing a 650-horsepower V-8, although we expected it to be a supercharged 6.2-liter with an integrated intake-manifold intercooler. With the lightweight Z06 as a starting point, we expect the Blue Devil will make the sprint from 0 to 60 mph in less than 3.4 seconds.

As for torque expectations, Lutz said he really doesn’t know. “We’re obviously going to have to restrict it because otherwise you get nothing but wheelspin. So those are some of the problems, is how to get power to the ground.”

The product guru is not saying when the beast will bow publicly for the first time, but the expectation is early in the 2008 auto show circuit as we anticipate a 2009 model year designation for the limited run (1500-2000) built a year.

And it’s still anyone’s guess as to its name. While Lutz referred to it as the Blue Devil in talking with CARandDRIVER.com, the rumor mill has churned out Corvette SS, Z07, and Stingray as potential monikers.

Given its lengthy development, and Lutz’s assertion it is proving “almost as tough as an all-new Corvette,” Blue Devil might be apropos by the time this $100,000-plus monster makes it to market.

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/image/2...71303428216.jpg

Source -http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyautoinsider/12814/2009-corvette-blue-devil-confirmed-and-in-final-tuning-phase-engine-and-performance-page2.html

I believe the appropriate response to this is :dance:

This thing has so much power that we have to explore a dynamic envelope that we’ve never explored before. We’re really into a speed and power realm that General Motors has never been in before.

Well Nascar doesn't exactly push the envelope :P

Lemme guess, are they gunning for the Paganis, Saleens and Konniseggs?

Because the rest will be already wilted if not behind in the Horsepower as well as handling game, considering how good the Z06 is.

Dragon and 91z - please do not post copyrighted pictures. I edited you posts to links.

As for the "displacement is bigger than the LS7"... I think Lutz was misquoted and really said something like "output is bigger than the LS7" because 1) The LS7 is supposedly not safe to supercharge, 2) Going bigger than the LS7 in terms of displacement supposedly requires a big block (LS7 is small block) and 3) We've heard numerous times that the Blue Devil engine is a supercharged 6.2L.

Is this basically the same powerplant the "Blue Devil" will be getting?

http://www.motortrend.com/av/features/112_...vette_z06_dyno/

This mother's gonna be the ultimate dream machine for whoever can afford it.

Not even close. This is a crude idea of what is coming.

Think more Liters, power, technology and more refinment.

Is this basically the same powerplant the "Blue Devil" will be getting?

http://www.motortrend.com/av/features/112_...vette_z06_dyno/

This mother's gonna be the ultimate dream machine for whoever can afford it.

No, but it is a supercharged small block (more advanced supercharger, not LS7-based).

Not even close. This is a crude idea of what is coming.

Think more Liters, power, technology and more refinment.

Not more liters (less actually), but yes more tech and refinement, not sure about RWHP. That made 576RWHP... if the Z06 makes 650HP flywheel a ~12% drop would be 572RWHP, but of course we don't know what the Blue Devil will make.

Dragon and 91z - please do not post copyrighted pictures. I edited you posts to links.

My bad I just figured that since it was already posted.

Anyways do we know how much difference there will be between the Z06 and the Blue Devil? I know Lutz said that even a grandmother could tell the difference b/t a Z06 and a C6 but it really isn't to extreme. I hope it is a little more differentiated than those 2?

No, but it is a supercharged small block (more advanced supercharger, not LS7-based).

Not more liters (less actually), but yes more tech and refinement, not sure about RWHP. That made 576RWHP... if the Z06 makes 650HP flywheel a ~12% drop would be 572RWHP, but of course we don't know what the Blue Devil will make.

A closer number to the RWHP at 650 HP would be 589.6 RWHP.

And, as for the handling aspect, I've heard there are some pieces being upgraded. Plus, a couple hundred pounds of dropped weight is always beneficial in the twisties.

LoL! Um, no.

Actually, he's right. On Top Gear they tested it and it was faster then the Zonda... much to their surprise.

Here's the video. Start at the 9 minute mark to get the results right away.

TOP GEAR TESTS Z06

Overall track time for the Z06 was better than the Zonda in the Top Gear Video. However, the 0-60 time and 1/4 mile for the Zonda is faster than the Z06.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Pagani--Zonda-Drag-Racing.html

A closer number to the RWHP at 650 HP would be 589.6 RWHP.

:blink:

And how do you come to that conclusion? That would be a 9.3% drop, I fail to see how that is more accurate than a 12% drop on an engine that has never been dyno'd by a source outside of GM. I was just aiming for a number close to 576RWHP within the 10-15% lose to the wheels that is normally seen, and that number was 12% in this case.

Not all cars are going to lose the same amount of power when you convert from HP to WHP.

http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThrea...0&tID=10073

7:44 --- 159.828 km/h -- Pagani Zonda C12 S, 555 PS/1388 kg (sport auto 07/02)

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?p=939436

Z06 did it in 7:42.9

But don't forget: Zonda costs $350000, but the Z06 costs $70000. You can get 5 Corvettes for one Zonda.

You are talking about a Zonda, the C12S, that is six/seven years old. Started production in 2000. I'm talking about the Zonda F. The one that started production in 2005.

The current Z06 started production in 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Laps

You're still not getting my point. I'm saying how a $70000 car can match or even marginally quicker than a $350000 car. I don't care whether it's the Zonda F or the C12S, both of them could buy 5 Corvettes. I KNOW very well that both of them aren't even in the same class. That's what made the Z06 impressive.

As for changes on the Devil SS are still up in the air.

I have heard the comment to expect it to be more of a road going C6-R.

I also would expect a few things like

less weight

More or all carbon body parts

Bigger Brakes and tires

More extreme suspention tuning or tricks

Much better aero managment at the speeds this car can and will do it is important to channel the air not only over but around and under the car. Could this be the first Vette with a under tray?

Vent in the hood? adjustable wing? Not for looks but real world stability.

Upgraded engine managment package to control the engine under acceleration. You have got to get it to bite to be fast. Also not break.

Anyway these are things I am speculating to in some form.

You're still not getting my point. I'm saying how a $70000 car can match or even marginally quicker than a $350000 car. I don't care whether it's the Zonda F or the C12S, both of them could buy 5 Corvettes. I KNOW very well that both of them aren't even in the same class. That's what made the Z06 impressive.

No I get your point fine. You started out talked about performance with no mention of cost.

The Z06 already outruns the Zonda.

You were wrong (unless of course we are still comparing an old car to a current one) now the topic has changed to price. Edited by Chris_Doane