Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Presidential candidates and their cars

pow

The Associated Press is asking the candidates a series of questions about their personal tastes, habits and backgrounds. Today's question and their answers:

___

What car or cars do you drive?

___

DEMOCRATS:

Delaware Sen. Joe Biden: 1967 Corvette, a wedding gift from his dad in 1967 when Biden married his first wife, Neilia.

New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton: "For security reasons, we drive in Secret Service vehicles but the Service lets us use a Ford hybrid when we're home in New York."

Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd: 2007 Ford Escape hybrid, a compact SUV

Former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards: Ford Escape hybrid. This spring, also reported having a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica midsize SUV and 1994 GMC truck.

Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich: Ford Focus compact

Illinois Sen. Barack Obama: Chrysler 300C, a full-size sport-luxury sedan

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson: "Jeep Wrangler, although my security doesn't like me to drive."

___

REPUBLICANS:

Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback: Ford Taurus in Washington and Honda Civic hybrid in Kansas

Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani: "I don't drive, I navigate."

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee: 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe and 1995 Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck

California Rep. Duncan Hunter: "Suburban with 274,000 miles on it."

Arizona Sen. John McCain: Cadillac CTS, a midsize luxury sedan

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney: 2005 Ford Mustang convertible

Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo: Toyota Prius hybrid, Cadillac, Mercedes, Buick

http://www.townhall.com/News/NewsArticle.a...6a1f&page=1

-----------------------

Also... http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=120760

Driving Forces of Campaign 2008: Brand Study Gives Each Candidate a Car Alter Ego

Date posted: 05-11-2007

STORY TOOLS

Print thisPrint this Save thisSave this Digg this storyDigg this!

Email thisEmail this Most PopularMost popular del.icio.usdel.icio.us

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Do you want a Ford pickup truck or a Dodge Viper in the White House? The Presidential Brands 2008 study by Chernoff Newman/MarketSearch characterizes each candidate as an automobile. According to the results of the study, Hillary Clinton is a Volvo wagon, Barack Obama is a BMW Z4 convertible and John Edwards is a Toyota Prius.

On the Republican side, Rudy Giuliani's alter ego would be a Toyota RAV4, while John McCain is a Ford pickup. Why? Because the study found that perceptions of the three leading GOP candidates are of "Giuliani as an American icon, John McCain as an American hero and Mitt Romney as an American Idol." Of Mitt Romney, Chernoff Newman Chief Marketing Officer Mark Newsome said: "He's a Dodge Viper — it looks like it's built for speed, but is pretty unfamiliar to the average driver."

The verdict was less flattering to Hillary Clinton, of whom the study said: "If Clinton were a car, she'd probably be a Volvo station wagon: solid, reliable and there to get the job done, not make you fall in love."

The study looked at familiarity, reputation, personality, performance and "connectivity" with people to determine the presidential candidate as a brand, much as it would study cereal or other consumer goods.

Full details of the study are visible at the Presidential Brands Web site.

As for what the contenders actually drive, the Associated Press says Clinton, Edwards and three minor candidates — Chris Dodd, Sam Brownback and Tom Tancredo — have hybrids. Obama drives a Chrysler 300C and John McCain drives a Cadillac CTS, the news service says.

What this means to you: Yes, but if they were trees, what kind of trees would they be?

Well, it would SEEM that the government supports Detroit :AH-HA_wink:

AS far as I'm concerned this prickl should be the next ruler of the free world!!!

Holy crap, that just seems appropriate.

As for the rest of the list, meh, Biden's Vette is the only one that really interests me. Cant say this new info effects my political views. Not really surprised at the number of hybrids.

I'm shocked and dismayed at the number of hybrids, actually. I thought these people were supposed to be smart? :huh:

They're so smart they'll drive one just because it's fashionable. They're politicians, remember? :AH-HA_wink: Edited by ZL-1

Where is the Republican candidate who is a social moderate, understands separation of church and state, promotes a fair but realistic foreign policy, sticks up for fair trade, believes in self-determination, a woman's right to choose, smaller federal government, a more controlled southern border, and fiscal responsibility?

I want someone who will encourage alternative energy research, while letting the market decide what kind of cars and trucks should be built.

I want someone who doesn't care if some gay folks want to marry. Two consenting adults should be left alone.

Does this person exist? Probably... but would they have the courage to say so in this climate of polarization? No.

Edited by ocnblu

Where is the Republican candidate who is a social moderate, understands separation of church and state, promotes a fair but realistic foreign policy, sticks up for fair trade, believes in self-determination, a woman's right to choose, smaller federal government, and fiscal responsibility?

I want someone who will encourage alternative energy research, while letting the market decide what kind of cars and trucks should be built.

I want someone who doesn't care if some gay folks want to marry. Two consenting adults should be left alone.

Does this person exist? Probably... but would they have the courage to say so in this climate of polarization? No.

those candidates exist....they just aren't republican or democrat

Where is the Republican candidate who is a social moderate, understands separation of church and state, promotes a fair but realistic foreign policy, sticks up for fair trade, believes in self-determination, a woman's right to choose, smaller federal government, and fiscal responsibility?

O.B. For president. I agree with everything you said.

Add to that a healthy respect for the both the FIRST

& SECOND amendments and you've got my vote!

Giuliani

I favor Ron Paul myself, as he was one of only two GOP congressmen to support withdrawal from Iraq.

Edited by ehaase

Wow, great thread idea. Most are fairly unpretentious.

Kucinich: yep, I could see that

Hunter: hate the car (gas guzzler), love the "getting his money's worth" part

To bad New Jersey's Governor John Corzine isn't running, I know what he drives.

Posted Image

He rides that vehicle.

Holy crap, that just seems appropriate.

As for the rest of the list, meh, Biden's Vette is the only one that really interests me. Cant say this new info effects my political views. Not really surprised at the number of hybrids.

Biden's the only Democrat with Brains. The rest are just pusses who do not know what to drive.

I'm shocked and dismayed at the number of hybrids, actually. I thought these people were supposed to be smart? :huh:

+1. These people are just morons.

2 COMMENTS:

1) Obamas comments about fuel economy piss me off that much more now. 2) How is the RAV4 and american icon?!?!?!

What BO said in Detroit a couple of weeks ago was just plain ridiculous. It shows how poorly knowledgeable he is about Fuel Economy and Auto Industry.