2008 STS Loads up on Safety

Cadillac loads up on safety
Built in Lansing, the redone STS adds radar, cameras and computer.
Scott Burgess | The Detroit News
Posted Image

MILFORD -- Bad drivers need Cadillac's 2008 STS sedan. Good drivers will relish it.

General Motors Corp.'s luxury brand has loaded up the refreshed luxury sedan with radar, cameras and an onboard computer. They collectively protect drivers from spinning out on slick roads, inadvertently drifting into another lane or swerving into a vehicle in their blind spot. The luxury sedan can even warn a driver of an approaching vehicle.

But safety was only part of the story Friday as Cadillac showcased the new STS at its Milford Proving Grounds. The STS has been substantially reworked, giving it a more refined and powerful look. A larger new grille, based on the Cadillac Sixteen concept vehicle, marks the new face of the brand. The STS also has new rocker moldings on its sides, refreshed front and rear fascias and 18-inch wheels.

"There was a push to address more details to show it belongs in the premium segment," said Charlie Klein, vehicle line director for the STS. Some of those details include new chrome door handles, Sappele wood and metallic trim in the interior and a new instrument cluster.

While the changes add to the luxurious feel, the most important changes take place under the car's sheet metal. The Lansing-built STS will be the first GM vehicle with the optional direct injection V-6. The engine provides 302 horsepower and 272-pound-feet of torque.

"It wasn't even 10 years ago, that if you wanted more than 300 horsepower, you'd have to get Cadillac's (V-8) Northstar, which was a very impressive engine" said John Smith, GM's vice president of global product planning.

The direct injection V-6 operates at a higher compression ratio than a traditional engine, which allows it to produce more power without using more fuel. According to GM, the engine is 3 percent more efficient than the previous V-6 and can continue to run on regular gas.

Additionally, Cadillac will add a new automatic six-speed transmission that was silky smooth during acceleration tests that brought the STS up to 125 mph.

When it arrives at dealers in July, the STS will feature a number of firsts for the brand. It will debut the newest version of StabiliTrack, GM's electronic stability control.

StabiliTrack 3.0, an option on V-8 all-wheel drive STS models, incorporates traditional monitor systems such as the brakes and suspension, but adds an active front steering technology.

This allows the STS to adjust the steering wheel to right the car. If the system detects a sharp turn, it can help the driver adjust in milliseconds.

The STS features a lane-departure warning system that uses a camera to monitor road lines and beeps when the vehicle starts to cross one. A blind spot alert system employs a radar to detect vehicles coming up the rear. A warning light on the side mirrors warns a driver of a potential threat.

"We're really stepping out in the prestige luxury segment as the technology leader with this STS," said Vince Muniga, a Cadillac spokesman. "And we have no intention of slowing down."

Scott Burgess is the auto critic for The Detroit News. He can be reached at (313) 223-3217 or [email protected].

Additional Image Gallery
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This car still has a long ways to go before it can compete with at the ~$50k mark.

How about sharing your insight as to what you think would get it there?

so ... if they just put DI on the N* it could put out 370+hp and 340lbft (using straight proportions).... get to it! hehe

well... the options sound much more upscale than the CTS.... hoping it still sells more than previous years....with more conquest sales.

At first glance, the interior revisions, the extra tech goodies and and the new engine seem positive. Those side vents look like the afterthought they are, though: they should be part of an all-new design and not glued on the current styling IMO...

Edited by ZL-1

How about sharing your insight as to what you think would get it there?

The interior is not anywhere close to where it should be, the exterior leaves much to be desired. The new V6 is great, but the Northstar is getting old quick. The STS' inferiority will be confirmed by GM in a couple of years when they kill it off.

No need to order a V8! With a 300hp V6!

Well, nothing replaces the sexy growl of a V8... not to mention the extra torque!

the level of plastic in the engine bay is rediculous

Well, now it looks like a 5-series.

The STS is really a fantastic car by itself. Unfortunately, its not by itself.

That about sums it up. On paper, it's all there.

In the face of the competition, the interior isn't as stylish, the N* is getting old, and I think the exterior would be great if it fell somewhere between the '08 refresh and the '08 CTS.

Still, the updates to the '08 make a great car even better.

Edited by bcs296

I never liked the STS because to get the extra balls you needed the V8. Not so anymore with 302hp the V6 is plenty for me! Sure the V6 isn't as sweet as a V8 when it comes time to listen to the roar. But I can forgive that and 18hp for 9 grand. The STS is more of a compelling choice than ever. I like it alot more, but your right needs the SLS interior! (RIGHT NOW!) I still think I would favor an STS over the next CTS, although for the price difference I would have a hard time.

Edited by gm4life

I just don't see what is wrong with this interior that you guys.. <even Fly> pile up on it.

None of these look in any way better style wise. They're all fairly conservative to the point of being bland.....

Posted Image

I know this will give some of you boners... but I just don't see the obvious "superiority" over the STS.

Posted Image

Exactly what is Mercedes thinking with that steering wheel.

Posted Image

I actually like this one.....but it's because I'm a Star Trek fan and have always wanted to pilot the Enterprise.

Posted Image

You guys can't serious be comparing it to this on terms of style.... snooze-a-rama here.

Posted Image

Interesting, different... probably the most ground breaking in this class.... but how many M-classes does Infiniti sell?

I just don't see what is wrong with this interior that you guys.. <even Fly> pile up on it.

None of these look in any way better style wise. They're all fairly conservative to the point of being bland.....

Styling is subjective -- I happen to love the 5er's interior design and find the dash very distinctive. My biggest beef is with the STS's material quality, which is below average without the V's full leather. The new steering wheel and metallic dash trim do help on the styling front.

I like the STS, but in the mid-lux segment, it's not something you would consider, IMO, unless you're a Cadillac fan (and most traditional Caddy fans would pick the similarly priced DTS). It doesn't have the same brand recognition as the 5 and E, nor does it do well in comparisons like the M does. The new CTS, however, is getting 3-series and A4 owners to notice.

I actually like this one.....but it's because I'm a Star Trek fan and have always wanted to pilot the Enterprise.

LMAO :rotflmao: I actually don't dislike the STS interior myself, but IMO it isn't up to the level of a 5. I did like the E interior when it first came out, but it's starting to look dated (well, I guess it IS dated).

• 2 weeks later...

I think the problem with the STS's interior is that it isn't very inviting. "Cold" comes to mind. On the other hand, I find the Audi's interior in either Beige or Amaretto to be incredibly warm and inviting. The same with the Infiniti.

Edited by Hollingsworth

Yeah, as much as I want to like newer BMW's, I just don't care for the interiors on some of them all that much...including the e60.

I like the Audi interior for its cockpit style...It's a pretty well laid out interior, especially for a driver. I've always loved the look of the M45 interior. In my opinion, it is the best in class. The STS interior has always just been so boring and bland to me...the new refresh helps, but what helped the interior the most was incorporated into the Chinese SLS (unfortunately). Now that made the interior pretty amazing, and brought it way up.

• 2 weeks later...