Pontiac places G8 and G6 GXP in rap video

Ahh, so maybe this should be advertised during the PGA tour, since people buying BMWs must play golf. I listen to rap, and bought a GTO, and cross shopped with BMWs.

Here's a better question, do people who listen to rap buy cars? Yes. Who helped the Escalade get its bling bling image? It's called marketing.

Ahh, so maybe this should be advertised during the PGA tour, since people buying BMWs must play golf. I listen to rap, and bought a GTO, and cross shopped with BMWs.

Here's a better question, do people who listen to rap buy cars? Yes. Who helped the Escalade get its bling bling image? It's called marketing.

I don't think the G8 or G6 have that same image as the Escalade...especially since they lack acres of chrome (thankfully).

Since cRAP is the music (LOL) of choice among the young 'uns now, I'd say this is money well spent.

I don't think GM is necessarily trying to scalp BMW buyers with this, however I do think they are trying to ensure Pontiac's future by putting it on the radar of the youth and trying to make the G8 an aspirational vehicle; not to mention maybe generate a few G6 sales.

I think it's probably a good move. Like it or not, cRAP helped the Escalade to prominence and there is nothing wrong with that.... Chrysler kick started the 300 by delivering on of the very first copies to 50 Cent as well.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

It also did wonders for the 300 when it came out. It was free advertising that said hey this car is hip, like it or not rap is much more of trend setter than country or other music right now. It is even turning out to be a force in the political arena (Vote or Die campaign, etc). One last point, who listens to rap now days? Remember rap as a mainstream art for is over 20 years old, many of us are definitely in the target demographic.

It's blatant product placement. What reason would a rapper have for featuring a modern non-luxury car in his music video? Basically, 50 Cent is a sellout, but this isn't news to most of us. :P

Agreed. The G6 stands out like a sore thumb in a music video of this nature. A vehicle has to be aspirational in order for people to aspire to own it. The G6 isn't aspirational.

It's one thing for the Escalade to be featured in a Rap video. The Escalade suits the part... it's big, it's got lots of chrome, and it's excessive. The Chrysler 300 doesn't look out of place either.

But a Pontiac G8? I thought GM was going for a sophisticated, almost European flair with the Pontiac G8... something that Rap is not about. Mainstream Hip-Hop is not intelligent, nor is it sophisticated. It's quite the opposite.