2008 9-3 Convertible

I love the wheels on the Sportcombi. As for the the taillights... they certainly don't look as good on the convertible as they do on the sedan where I don't mind them. Very disappointed with the interior as well. Ever since GM messed with the interior, it hasn't looked right.

I love the wheels on the Sportcombi. As for the the taillights... they certainly don't look as good on the convertible as they do on the sedan where I don't mind them. Very disappointed with the interior as well. Ever since GM messed with the interior, it hasn't looked right.

There are some things they did that helped it, like adding some bright-work around the dash, vent knows and so on. I'm undecided about the HVAC knobs...they look cleaner but not unique like the previous controls, which were very easy to use. The worst offense is slapping the corporate stereo into the car.

the front end fits the convertible really well. GM did mess with the interior, but not enough to change Saab's inherent coolness and simple functional look of everything. I love that there is detail but nothing is overdone. The issue with the taillights is there; but from a direct rear angle, speeding away from you, the taillights begin to look very cool, I think. The Sportcombi looks killer.

I like yellow, but the taillights are absolutely horrible on both cars! :scared:

The combi's taillights seem unchanged: that's a Euro-spec car and Euro-spec combis have always had white taillights.

Were those shots taken in Trollhättan? I'm just asking because I think there is/was a GM Powertrain facility or office near Gothenburg...

i wonder if the US-spec taillights will look like that.

i like the added brightwork on the interior. I don't know what people are complaining about, it looks pretty good. love the new hood and grille.

AND the sport combi looks much cleaner since they removed that door stripe. it really does "age" the convertible.

Edited by jbartley

Like most people here, I agree that the taillights and the color on the convertable version look pretty hideous. Gives the back-end a bug-eyed look.

The new front clip is very nice and brings back that Saab flair that the brand used to have.

This shows a promising future for the brand. I can't wait for the Ep II Saabs.

Is it just me or does the front Clip remind anyone else of a Chrysler Car? To me it brings to mind the Sebring. Weird, the more things change the more they stay the same. :stupid:

Edited by dfelt

Those tail lamps suffer because they look too cheap and aftermarket for a luxury car. I'm usually not a fan of Altezza tail lamp styling, but when done tastefully, it works. These are not tasteful. These don't work.

I like the old tail lamps better for the convertible. Those had the gloss over effect going for them. A nice, upscale touch.

Is it just me or does the front Clip remind anyone else of a Chrysler Car? To me it brings to mind the Sebring. Weird, the more things change the more they stay the same. :stupid:

The design is sort of a blend between Chrysler cars and Nissan trucks. There's not much you can do to any part of a car without making it absolutely polarizing.

A certain degree of blandness (tried and true design) is required.

Unlike some that bash the new interior without actually sitting in it I have and it is great. In seeing pics I thought I would not like it but after sitting in and driving it I love the new interior even in base form. It is of very nice quality and overall easy to use. Also the new exterior without the rub guards looks hot and again look more aggressive. I love it and think Saab is finally on the move with such a nice refresh of the 9-3. Focus should now be on a new interior for the 9-5 which is trash inside.

ALso why must every car that comes out look like a Chrysler or something else. Damn read over past threads and you will see people keep saying the same tired comments. Yes close your eyes slightly and anything will look like something else.

Edited by rueben44

Erm...no. Do you know what it looks like? The Aero X...a Saab! The 9-3 looks nothing like a Chrysler.

Unlike some that bash the new interior without actually sitting in it I have and it is great. In seeing pics I thought I would not like it but after sitting in and driving it I love the new interior even in base form. It is of very nice quality and overall easy to use. Also the new exterior without the rub guards looks hot and again look more aggressive. I love it and think Saab is finally on the move with such a nice refresh of the 9-3. Focus should now be on a new interior for the 9-5 which is trash inside.

ALso why must every car that comes out look like a Chrysler or something else. Damn read over past threads and you will see people keep saying the same tired comments. Yes close your eyes slightly and anything will look like something else.

My beef comes with GM slapping the corporate stereo in there...but if you opt for the Nav that problem goes away.

Edited by Dodgefan

Yea I hated that idea also that is why before sitting in it I hated it. Still I understand the problem with not letting Saab be different but it does not look bad in person. Just like you said however the nav system is so much better now that it does solve the beaf someone may have with the base one.

I actually prefer the black plastic strips. I don't mind the yellow too. The old Saab 900 convertible looked the best in yellow, and if it had the rubstrips it paid homage to it.

Perhaps, but most people will associate black, unpainted strips with a cheap economy car or base model. I personally like the body color strips better, or better yet the SportCombi's lack of them. Does the sedan have them?

I like the update. It doesn't look as cheaply done as the 9-5's MCE. I've also loved that green/yellow color on the convertible. Very flashy and different but still tasteful, IMO. The taillights don't really bother me. Seeing a Saab without the black plastic rub strips is a surprise to me and the SportCombi looks damn amazing without them.

Well the similarities are pretty obvious. The air dam and the fact that they're both the same color can make anyone confuse the two cars :P

Using 2 vehicles of the same color isn't an accurate or credible means of saying they look similar..plus the 2 yellows are different hues :P

Also, the tail lights, and exhaust pipes are a clue that you may be looking at a car's ass not it's nose.

Still, if you see a Ferrari in a Saab that's not an insult to the Saab!

Edited by Dodgefan

I see one major reason why the tail lights should be at least a little difference - that black line across the middle. Half of the tail light is on the trunk lid, half in the rear fender. If the trunk lid isn't perfectly lined up, that black line will make it obvious. The one in the picture is not lined up, and at least to me, it is obvious. They need to tweek the design so that it hides any minor misalignments of the trunk lid. Would be a whole lot easier than having to tweek every car so that line lines up perfectly...