Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM's 4.5L Diesel

About the same HP as the 5.3 with 200ft/lbs more torque.

That's the beauty of modern turbo diesels: good power and great torque numbers!

Now get me a 2.8 litre turbo diesel CTS.

I think it's a 2.9L V6, but I'm sure it will be competitive.

I think it's a 2.9L V6, but I'm sure it will be competitive.

It is!

That is great. That 4.5L if used right can be used in the Zetas, and hell even put it in the Camaro and send it to the other side of the Atlantic pond and then see it slaughter the Audis, BMW, MBs et. al.

That 4.5L if used right can be used in the Zetas, and hell even put it in the Camaro and send it to the other side of the Atlantic pond and then see it slaughter the Audis, BMW, MBs et. al.

I say bring it here in the Cadillacs!

please use better cam shafts then Toyota did or we will never hear the end of it on this board.

I would love to see the mileage figures of that motor in a Tahoe...could get me to go with that combo over the Hybrid Tahoe due this year.

DURAMAX and i-FORCE are two different animals.

It is!

That is great. That 4.5L if used right can be used in the Zetas, and hell even put it in the Camaro and send it to the other side of the Atlantic pond and then see it slaughter the Audis, BMW, MBs et. al.

Mmmm...Camaro SS TDi...sweet. A turbodiesel Camaro would be a great, torquey, high-mileage commuter car..

It is!

It will probably be a low-speed engine not suited for passenger cars. V8 diesels in passenger cars tend to be smaller and higher-rpm units, with twin turbos to produce more power. While nearly 70 hp/L is great for a truck engine, a passenger-car V8 should be producing closer to 80 hp/L, and smaller two-stage diesels are producing well over 90 and close to 100 hp/L. After all the 2.9 L diesel will be well over 80 hp/L.

I know this will wind up in the Silverado and Sierra but I hope it also winds up in the Avalanche, Colorado/Canyon and at least the STS and CTS for car platforms. I guess we'll see.

It will probably be a low-speed engine not suited for passenger cars. V8 diesels in passenger cars tend to be smaller and higher-rpm units, with twin turbos to produce more power.

I would hope since they've gone to the trouble of making it DOHC that they would at least give it a decent RPM range.

It will probably be a low-speed engine not suited for passenger cars. V8 diesels in passenger cars tend to be smaller and higher-rpm units, with twin turbos to produce more power. While nearly 70 hp/L is great for a truck engine, a passenger-car V8 should be producing closer to 80 hp/L, and smaller two-stage diesels are producing well over 90 and close to 100 hp/L. After all the 2.9 L diesel will be well over 80 hp/L.

What about two different tunings for the engine: lower power / higher torque for the trucks, and higher power / lower torque for the passenger cars? Edited by ZL-1

The typical V8 diesels used in luxury cars actually have both higher power and torque, 1000 rpm higher than most (but not all) diesel engines for pickups and SUVs. Running to a higher rpm is one factor in the higher output, facilitated by dual turbos (one for each bank, not two-stage like the highest-output inline engines). DOHC is simply an easier way of implementing 4V per cylinder, rather than the pushrod setup of the bigger 6.6 L Duramax. Since the primary market for such expensive high-output V8 engines is in the S-class, 7-Series, and A8, I'd venture it is not such a priority for GM just yet.