What Are You Listening To?

You all make me feel like a hopeless nerd. :nono: I haven't a clue as to most of the performers you refer to. About 10 years ago, I switched over to jazz and never looked back.

You all make me feel like a hopeless nerd. :nono: I haven't a clue as to most of the performers you refer to. About 10 years ago, I switched over to jazz and never looked back.

Oh come on Bob, I'm sure you've heard of Led Zeppelin and AC/DC at least. :P

I've started liking jazz more ever since we went to a few jazz bars in Rome. It's amazing what a live performance will do to your perception of something. My grandpa's an avid listener of WNUA Smooth Jazz out of Chicago...it's more contemporary jazz though, but not bad. I hear it every time we're driving around the Northwest Suburbs in his Grand Marquis. It's one of my fond memories as a kid.

Ironically, I used to play in a Jazz Band in high school. Not only was I a half-decent trumpet player, but the discipline required to play every note, to properly keep time, to pay close attention to detail... and that in turn steered me onto more and more hard rock where technical prowess and skill are valued over just some idiot screaming.

Plus, when I was back in Grade 8, we had to play, 'I'm Just A Giggolo/I Ain't Got Nobody' . Our teacher played a sample of that song, and the singer was none other than David Lee Roth. I've been hooked since. :D

Ironically, I used to play in a Jazz Band in high school. Not only was I a half-decent trumpet player, but the discipline required to play every note, to properly keep time, to pay close attention to detail... and that in turn steered me onto more and more hard rock where technical prowess and skill are valued over just some idiot screaming.

Plus, when I was back in Grade 8, we had to play, 'I'm Just A Giggolo/I Ain't Got Nobody' . Our teacher played a sample of that song, and the singer was none other than David Lee Roth. I've been hooked since. :D

I was in band and played trumpet too, but I only did marching band, concert band, and pep band. Pep band was great...we used to play Crazy Train, Smoke on the Water, We're an American Band, Hey Jude, and a few others. You really take on more of an appreciation for music being in school band I think. Like you said, the trumpet is not an easy instrument to play and you get the melody a lot, so learning technique is important. Same thing with recorded music; if there's no technical proficiency, I get bored.

Oh come on Bob, I'm sure you've heard of Led Zeppelin and AC/DC at least. :P

My grandpa's an avid listener of WNUA Smooth Jazz out of Chicago...it's more contemporary jazz though, but not bad.

Of course, this guy I used to work with was an avid metal fan...he was 2 years younger than me. He thought he was really cool but he was really sort of a geek. Sometimes while we were working, I would wale out that weird refrain from "The Immigrant Song" just to piss him off. :P

People a LOT earlier than "grandpa status" are avid jazz fans. :lol: I probably transitioned to jazz several years after The Cure or thereabouts. Basically, I find jazz to be disciplined, sophisticated and tightly constructed, for lack of a better description.

So what am I listening to? An Italian stock market report on the news waiting for dinner to be served over here.

Edited by trinacriabob

Jazz is love it or hateb it for me... about a 50%/50% mix.

DJ Sammy. the HEAVEN album.

I used to listen to it all the time when I'd be thinking back/

remeniscing about Julie. That's OUR album. I have a lot of

great memories that come rushing back to that album.

Either my mind wanders to March 2003 when Julie & I were

together for the first time OR I think back to April of 2003

when I was flying down the highway in Arizona at 95mph

in a rental Dodge listening to that album, feeling like my

heart was about to tear in half because I decided to break

Julie's heart and stay with Marcia out of guilt.

It's funny how a certain song/album can bring back a flood

of memories or feelings from years ago. Music can be SO

very powerful, I can tell you in exact detail certain points of

my life when a certain song triggers a memory.

The Moody Blues-Nights in White Satin

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep song. I gotta listen to that tonight when I unwind.

Oh, and as far as what I'm listening to...

some super stupid/cheesy 1990s pop songs on the XM radio

over the iontercom at Chevy/Cadillac, I hate the station we always play.

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep song. I gotta listen to that tonight when I unwind.

Great song.. I went and saw the Moodies in January..they are incredible in concert (even though they are all north of 60 now).

I'm listening to my usual news podcasts today at work (3 different BBC programs, CNN, NPR, Rick Steeves travel) and also the new Velvet Revolver CD 'Libertad' and Bryan Ferry's new CD 'Dylanesque'...

Guest YellowJacket894

"Pillars Of Faith" - Down

I think quite a few people here could get into Down once they take a look at their member line-up. :P

Edited by YellowJacket894