Auuggh...Garrison Keillor's shilling for Toyota..

Robert Hall

While out driving this afternoon, I was doing a bit of radio channel surfing and caught the end of 'Prairie Home Companion'...apparently, the show has Toyota as a sponsor, 'cause Garrison Keillor was saying something to the effect that Toyota has increased the production of the Prius, making it easier than ever to get yourself one.

Hmmm.... the bastion of upper Midwestern square has sold out! (I'd picture GK being more of a staid Oldsmobile or Volvo man than a Pious driver)..

Edited by moltar

Toyota (and the Sleep Number mattress by Select Comfort) have been PHC sponsors for a while now...

He also does great voice-overs for Honda UK ads:

Impossible Dream -

The Cog -

Hate Something, Change Something -

Choir -

Edited by empowah

It's called advertising....maybe you've heard of it?

Just called "sponorships" in this case. Anyone (GM, Mitsubishi, BMW, etc) could've come along and struck a deal.

I occasionally hear Chevy as a sponsor on NPR. It used to be about flex-fuel cars; now it's "offering 8 models that get 30 highway MPG or more." Too bad for 2008 there will only be 4 (5 if you consider Aveo and Aveo5 as two different models, as they currently do).

GK is a FKFACE.

ok, maybe not that harsh, but another one of those who tend to think they are more important than they are.

he's another minnesotan liberal peckerhead trying their hardest to play the part of an east coaster, yet retain their lake cabin so they don't have live in a smelly eastern megalopolis.

i mean, his show is probably decent, but too many of the bleeding heart MPR/NPR democrat liberal softies want to have the comfort and non confrontational lifestyle of being in the midwest, but they want all the ego spoils that come with being an artsy, liberal, 'forward thinking', green, any progressive cause you can think of advocate.

ugh, i am so sick of these types of people attempting to rule the country. can we please shut down the radio and presses and tv and all that so these folks can be reduced to the same importance the rest of us are?

GK is a FKFACE.

ok, maybe not that harsh, but another one of those who tend to think they are more important than they are.

he's another minnesotan liberal peckerhead trying their hardest to play the part of an east coaster, yet retain their lake cabin so they don't have live in a smelly eastern megalopolis.

i mean, his show is probably decent, but too many of the bleeding heart MPR/NPR democrat liberal softies want to have the comfort and non confrontational lifestyle of being in the midwest, but they want all the ego spoils that come with being an artsy, liberal, 'forward thinking', green, any progressive cause you can think of advocate.

ugh, i am so sick of these types of people attempting to rule the country. can we please shut down the radio and presses and tv and all that so these folks can be reduced to the same importance the rest of us are?

You drove the Aztek instead of the 500 today. I'm sorry...

I like a lot of NPR progams, but when I hear the bullsh*t Toyota ads, it turns my stomach. I posted about Click n Clack of Car Talk a while back... but then I thought... I don't contribute to NPR (fund drive), or to Toyota by listening, so what harm am I doing?

I like a lot of NPR progams, but when I hear the bullsh*t Toyota ads, it turns my stomach. I posted about Click n Clack of Car Talk a while back... but then I thought... I don't contribute to NPR (fund drive), or to Toyota by listening, so what harm am I doing?

NPR is actually a lot nicer on GM than most of the mainstream media. I've been listening to what they reported on the UAW strike, and it's generally been neutral and occasionally pro-GM. They took a lot of time to explain the importance of GM for the economy and the competitive disadvantages they face, as opposed to the generic "shutting down plants of large SUVs and trucks" I saw on the Big 3 evening news.

You drove the Aztek instead of the 500 today. I'm sorry...

no aztek today, the 500 turned just shy of 30 mpg on the long road trip this weekend so i gladly rode it into work again this morning. not bad for a big heavy brick.

aztek, gm product, 75k plus miles in 3 years and total reliability. lots of function, great value to run. and how is it any more ugly than the crap like the new xb or highlander?

GK is a FKFACE.

I'd rather have them running the country than the Jesus freak/gun kook right wingers that have f*cked it up over the last 6+ years...

no aztek today, the 500 turned just shy of 30 mpg on the long road trip this weekend so i gladly rode it into work again this morning. not bad for a big heavy brick.

aztek, gm product, 75k plus miles in 3 years and total reliability. lots of function, great value to run. and how is it any more ugly than the crap like the new xb or highlander?

Well....to be honest.....the new highlander is about 758,594,039,048 times better looking than an Aztek.

However, the new xB is only 5847 time better looking. And that's with all the upgraded body parts and good wheels.

Well....to be honest.....the new highlander is about 758,594,039,048 times better looking than an Aztek.

However, the new xB is only 5847 time better looking. And that's with all the upgraded body parts and good wheels.

new highlander and xb are seriously ugly regardless. seriously FUGLY. what i just left on the porcelain is nicer to look at.