Tundra severe bed bounce

mustang84

A guy posted this on BON:

just heard something that we may be made more aware of pretty soon, apparently a few Tundras have been bought back due to a potential engineering problem which they are having problems finding a fix for. Apparently on freeways some begin to porpoise and it becomes uncontrollable..... ( source, F & I manager currently employed at a Toy-floater dealership )...will be interesting if/ when it surfaces.....apparently the Titan has had a similar problem....

Video of the bed bounce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U6KmwB2LyY

From NHTSA:

UNRESOLVED SAFETY ISSUES WITH 2007 TOYOTA TUNDRA: 1. TOWING MIRRORS VIBRATE, PREVIOUSLY REPORTED TOYOTA CASE # 200704230738. MIRRORS ARE UNUSABLE ABOVE 40MPH DUE TO VIBRATION. 2. BED BOUNCE IS SO SEVERE ON SOME ROADS, PARTICULARLY I-10 BETWEEN INDIO AND LOS ANGELES, THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO CARRY ON A NORMAL CONVERSATION. DEALER RESPONSE TO BOTH ISSUES HAS BEEN THEY ALL DO THIS, SO THEY CANNOT MAKE A FIX UNTIL TOYOTA COMES UP WITH A SOLUTION. INTERNET REPORTS PROVE THAT THE DEALER IS CORRECT: ALL TUNDRAS HAVE THESE PROBLEMS. THUS THE PROBLEM IS NOT WITH THE DEALER, BUT IS INDICATIVE OF FIRST-YEAR PRODUCTION PROBLEMS. HOPEFULLY TOYOTA CAN RESOLVE THIS TO AVOID INVOKING LEMON LAW PROTECTION.

WE BOUGHT A NEW 2007 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB IN AUGUST. WE DISCOVERED ON CERTAIN FREEWAYS (CONCRETE) THE BED BOUNCE IS TERRIBLE. WE HAVE HAD SEVERAL OTHER TRUCKS IN THE PAST AND ALL OF THEM HAVE HAD A SMALL AMOUNT OF BED BOUNCE, BUT THIS VERHICLE IS UNSAFE. THE ENTIRE TRUCK BOUNCES TO THE EXTENT THAT MY HUSBAND GETS SICK TO HIS STOMACH AFTER A 20 MINUTE DRIVE. I REFUSE TO TAKE MYSELF OR OUR GRANDCHILDREN IN THIS VEHICLE. ONE OF THESE DAYS THERE WILL BE AN ACCIDENT DUE TO THE STABILITY OF THIS VEHICLE ON THE ROAD. TOYOTA DEALER IN OUR AREA REFUSES TO DRIVE MORE THAN A 5-10 MILE RADIUS ON A TEST DRIVE SO THEY CAN NOT DUPLICATE THE PROBLEM WE HAVE MENTIONED. THIS SAFTEY FACTOR NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED.

Other problems:

I OWN A 2007 TOYOTA TUNDRA CREWMAX SR5 WITH THE 5.7L V8. I HAVE FOUND THAT WHEN Y APPLYING THE PARKING BRAKE THERE WAS NOT ENOUGH FORCE TO HOLD THE TRUCK IN PLACE ON ITS OWN WHEN ON A HILL. I FIRST NOTICED THIS WHEN I APPLIED THE PARKING BRAKE WITH THE TRUCK IN DRIVE , BUT NOT APPLYING ANY PRESSURE TO THE GAS PEDAL, AND THE TRUCK BEGAN TO DRIVE FORWARD WITH VERY LITTLE RESISTANCE. I TOOK THE TRUCK TO THE DEALERSHIP, AND THEY INFORMED ME THAT THIS WAS HOW THE ENGINEERS DESIGNED IT. THEY DID AGREE TO TIGHTEN IT DOWN FURTHER AT MY REQUEST, AND WHEN THEY TRIED TO SHOW ME THAT IT WAS FIXED, IT AGAIN BEGAN TO DRIVE FORWARD AND THE ONLY WAY TO STOP IT WAS TO APPLY THE NORMAL BRAKE. I WAS THEN AGAIN TOLD THAT IT WAS ONLY FOR ASSISTANCE, AND THAT I SHOULD NOT EXPECT THE PARKING BRAKE TO HOLD THE TRUCK IN PLACE ON ITS OWN. I ASKED HOW IT COULD ASSIST WHEN IT COULDN'T EVEN HANDLE IT ON ITS OWN, AND WAS THEN INFORMED THAT THE TRUCK HAS 381 HP AND THAT'S A LOT OF HP FOR THE TRUCK TO STOP, AND WHEN I SAID THAT IT DIDN'T HAVE 381 HP AT 600 RPMS I WAS LAUGHED AT AND TOLD AGAIN THAT IT WA SONLY FOR ASSISTANCE. *AK

Unintended acceleration?

2007 TOYOTA TUNDRA DC 5.7L LIMITED. I WAS DRIVING ON THE FREEWAY AND I WENT TO PASS ANOTHER VEHICLE WHEN I GOT INTO THE NEXT LANE AND ANOTHER CAR CHANGED LANES IN FRONT OF ME AND I WAS FORCED TO SLAM THE BRAKES. THE ABS SYSTEM ENGAGED AND SLOWED VEHICLE DOWN , BUT THE TRUCK FELT LIKE IT WAS BEING PUSHED FORWARD... BY THIS TIME I HAD ENOUGH ROOM IN FRONT OF ME, SO I LET OFF THE BRAKES AND THE TRUCK JUMPED LIKE I WAS HOLDING MY FOOT ON THE GAS. I ALMOST HIT THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME AGAIN. I SLAMMED ON THE Y BRAKES AGAIN AND THE ABS SYSTEM KICKED IN, AND THE TRUCK WAS STILL TRYING TO ACCELERATE, BUT I HELD THE BRAKE HARD ENOUGH THAT I DIDN'T HIT THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME. AT THIS POINT I HAD TO DO SOMETHING. I STUCK THE TRUCK IN NEUTRAL AND TRIED TO GET TO THE SIDE OF THE FREEWAY. WHEN I GOT STOPPED I HAD 3 LIGHTS ON ., BRAKE, VSC, AND A PICTURE OF A CAR WITH 2 CROOKED LINES ON IT. I BELIEVED IT WAS TRACTION CONTROL. BY NOW THE TRUCK WAS NORMAL AGAIN BUT THE LIGHTS WERE ON SO I TOOK THE TRUCK STRAIGHT TO THE DEALER . *AK

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...rintVersion=YES

wait... run that by me again?

I APPLIED THE PARKING BRAKE WITH THE TRUCK IN DRIVE , BUT NOT APPLYING ANY PRESSURE TO THE GAS PEDAL, AND THE TRUCK BEGAN TO DRIVE FORWARD WITH VERY LITTLE RESISTANCE.

THEY INFORMED ME THAT THIS WAS HOW THE ENGINEERS DESIGNED IT

Who was the engineer? Wily Coyote?

Oh wait!

IIIII get it now.... if 10,000lbs thrown off a cliff can't even stop the Tundra from "moving forward", how would something is minuscule as a parking brake stop it.

Toyota: Moving Forward with the parking brake on.

Toyota: Moving Forward unintentionally.

Toyota: Moving Forward... and up and down and up and down and up

Edited by Oldsmoboi

Oh wait!

IIIII get it now.... if 10,000lbs throw off a cliff can't even stop the Tundra from "moving forward", how would something is minuscule as a parking brake stop it.

Toyota: Moving Forward with the parking brake on.

Toyota: Moving Forward unintentionally.

Toyota: Moving Forward... and up and down and up and down and up

:rotflmao: Good one Oldsmoboi

I didn't even know it was that possible to vibrate that much on an Interstate-grade highway that wasn't under construction.

Wonder how Toyota will explain this one away?

you should go on a cali freeway...

but... you know toyota will blame it on the highway system in cali... its not their fault

but yea, my 3500 does bounce, but not to any point that visibility is hampered, just kinda uncomfortable... but i'm used to it...

but if this is to a point you cant even have a conversation... we gotta major problem...

Who in the hell posted such lies!!!!

You all know damn well that Toyota makes the most perfect autos in the business. And how dare you throw shi_ on Toyota!!!

Just because while I was driving my Tundra it unexpectedly accelerated and hit a group of nuns that doesn't mean there is something wrong. My truck just might not like Catholics.

Plus, while I was driving along Pacific Highway, my truck bed flew up in the air and landed on a group of French tourist that doesn't mean the truck is defective. My truck just don't like those snotty French folks!!!

All of you just wish you had the pleasure of owning a such a perfect vehicle. Everytime I sit in my Tundra I flex my butt cheeks twice because it is so smooth!!!

Don't be haters!!!

The bad thing about showing that video on this site is that both trucks are :pokeowned: by the Ford.

True, but what happens with the TRD is insane!

And, like somebody on youtube commented, depending on the resonant frequency of the bed hop phenomenon, each truck will exhibit some crappy effects depending on the speed through the test course.

The bad thing about showing that video on this site is that both trucks are :pokeowned: by the Ford.

well one of the problems with the chevy is its soo light compared to the ford...

also... the Ford doesnt have nearly the flex in the axel as the chevy... it was one thing that we learned while we got the new product...

this was one thing they stressed, that if you go slow over major dips and bumps, the ford will tip one way or another... where as the chevy can really tuck those wheels into their wheel welds, one reason this is kind of designed against chevy...

the ford doesnt have the tortional strength as the chevy either... they broke the frame on the ford while trying to test it against the chevy

for one whos gonna drive on a road like that... at that speed... i take the humvee over whoops like that, i dont take my 3500 sierra over woops like that at that speed

and like one person mentioned... you can find the frequency in all suspension set ups... and they happened to run all the vehicles at fords optimum speed...

try running it at chevys speed or toyota, where they look the best, and see how much the ford bounces or what not

That first video of the Tundra on the 101 North in Camarillo is actually not far from me (hell...I drive down there all the time...my buddy lives at the bottom of the grade which leads from Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park to Camarillo...but I digress)...

There are portions of that freeway that really suck...but even so, my 540 with fully upgraded suspension and 19" wheels with very low profile tires would never bounce me even remotely close to that...That's clearly an engineering fault.

Check this video out... It came up after the video that mustang posted...

The TRD is shown in the middle third of the video.

I wonder if they staged that by partially unbolting the Tundra bed from the chassis...

That first video of the Tundra on the 101 North in Camarillo is actually not far from me (hell...I drive down there all the time...my buddy lives at the bottom of the grade which leads from Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park to Camarillo...but I digress)...

There are portions of that freeway that really suck...but even so, my 540 with fully upgraded suspension and 19" wheels with very low profile tires would never bounce me even remotely close to that...That's clearly an engineering fault.

i've been all up and down the 101, and the 134, 118, 405... my 3500 handles those terrible roads perfect... you should try the 10... and the 60 omg...

its definatly not the nicest freeways out there... best friend lives in somis, throw his camaro under an overpass the other day... due to some jack off toyota sequoia merging into the fast lane at 50 on the cell phone...

wrecked my buddys beautiful lt1 beyond what insurance will pay for it... after he was going 80 while slamming on his brakes and swirving... he did a 360 across the road, up the embankment under an overpass...

Posted Image

apparently was going backwards up this embankment

Posted Image

ruined a couple of his cromed salad shooters

Posted Image

his headers and exhaust is now laying on the ground... ground must have hit them loose

Posted Image

I wonder if they staged that by partially unbolting the Tundra bed from the chassis...

lets put it this way, at the right frequency, you can make a vehicle flip...

this was obviously a one sided comparason and ford designed the corse so obviously they are going to pass it...

example of this to show chevys capability

Edited by Newbiewar

BIG part...the frame has the structural strength and rigidity of a wet piece of spaghetti.

Still, I don't have a clue who thought it was a great idea to go against common standard of the industry and step DOWN in overall strength and durability, with a C-channel that itself is even worse than others, and not even a close relative to a typical modern hydroformed box frame.

Saves weight, but that's about it. I can only imagine how great the Toyota would REALLY be if the body didn't have to fight against the awful, constantly flexing frame underneath as it goes down the road...and it was teamed up with a modern boxed & hydroformed setup like everyone else.

Just from my engineering perspective, that is one choice that has and will not only cause problems and hurt driveability and capacity, but was just stupid.

THESE videos are ones I saw this summer, and REALLY clear it up:

Edited by caddycruiser

Just like the sludging engines...

Just like the puking trannys...

Just like the FJ's that are breaking in half...

Just like the plethora of Prius problems...

Just like the snapping camshafts...

NONE OF THIS MATTERS

Simply because the media does not want the public to think badly of Toyota, so they will not destroy them like they did Detroit. As for 'word of mouth' Toyota has been shoved down our throats as the god of innovation and environmental goodwill for so long that it will take 2 or 3 generations of bad product to affect their sales based on this alone.

CASE IN POINT: GMT800 has tailgate cables that break when they are 7-10 years old. THAT is a front page news piece! The new Tundra not only has severe mechanical issues as well as poor crash ratings, but also now has severe engineering issues and is being literally given away, yet NOT ONE DAMN MEDIA OUTLET PICKS UP THE STORY

Nothing has changed and it probably never will.