Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Camino LS6

Styling trend question

41 posts in this topic

Is there a reason for the trailing edge of front fenders ending high on the A pillar in recent car designs?

Aerodynamics maybe?

If it is merely styling-related, what do you folks think of it?

I'll keep my opinion to myself for now.

Hmm... I know beltlines are getting higher... are you referring to fenders that end even with the beltline, or above?

Hmm... I know beltlines are getting higher... are you referring to fenders that end even with the beltline, or above?

Above, as in on the A pillar.

Like this?

Posted Image

I wonder if the creepage is more a desire to affect the styling more than previously possible. Not that the last gen Camaro's fenders ended so high- but I'm still reminded of them in regards to this & their faired-in sideviews.

I know it catches my eye and I personally find it disturbing, as minor as it is. Also makes me think the roof AND the windshield might retract.

>>"It helps outward visibility for the side windows."<<

<<"...trailing edge of front fenders ending high on the A pillar..."<<

Edited by balthazar

Pedestrian impact regs. The hood has to be higher up off the engine.

But the cutline of the fender is much higher than the hood, I'm still puzzled.

I wonder if the creepage is more a desire to affect the styling more than previously possible. Not that the last gen Camaro's fenders ended so high- but I'm still reminded of them in regards to this & their faired-in sideviews.

I know it catches my eye and I personally find it disturbing, as minor as it is. Also makes me think the roof AND the windshield might retract.

Exactly my train of thought.

How so?

Cause usually it's found on cars with forward-sloping beltlines, which I assume give a greater sensation of airiness for front passengers

Posted Image

Posted Image

The seam could still be even with the rear edge of the hood on the G8, but for some reason, it's numerous inches higher. Either location does not effect the visibility in the G8.

Overall G8 vs. M-B A-pillar design/shape is another issue.

Unless something comes to light that makes more sense, I'm sticking with it offering more latitude in styling differences.

I can only guess that it might :

- slightly improve aerodynamics

- slightly reduce wind noise

That's one thing I noticed in the pics of the MKS...the fenders and hood seem to be pretty high off the ground and they meet the A-pillar pretty high...

If it is merely styling, then I can't say I care for it. The 4th gen Camaro faired-in side mirrors were one of the things that pointed me to the Firehawk instead back in 02. This seems to be in that vein.

Edit: that high fender/ rear of the hood thing on the Camaro always made the front look like a ramp to me.

I just thought it was an aerodynamics thing. On some cars with huge panel gaps, it looks tacky.

This can be found on older cars from the 80s and 90s...it's on my Lumina, although not quite as evident as today's cars (there's no beltline crease, but the greenhouse is lower than the fender line). I always thought Luminas would look better if the belt line continued uninterrupted, but it does give you more visibility out of the greenhouse I guess.

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can see it on older Mustangs, but it seems to work on them IMO.

Posted Image

I really don't think there is much value to it other than it being another runaway styling trend that every automaker seems to copy...just like triangular taillights were all the rage 2 years ago

Edited by mustang84

that mustang is HOT :wub:

sorry i have nothing useful to contribute to the thread... ^_^

Just more evidence that more cars need to look like this...

Posted Image

The Mustang and Lumina really don't have it, their A pillars look entire. The G8, on the other hand, has a cutline that is way up the pillar and interrupts the flow of the design.

Yeah, it's a detail, but it isn't a plus stylewise so I'm hoping there is a functional reason for it.

Mustang - that's not what he's talking about. He's talking about how the fender is slowly creeping up the A-pillar.

Posted Image

The last-generation J-body convertible gets the award for 'Worst A-pillar' though.

Posted Image

Why are all the cut lines bunched like that? I've never seen anything like it on other convertibles. What gives?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room