Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Thanksgiving... Er Bitchgiving...

gm4life

Introduction

Why do I have to go here...? To vent so listen up... My family (4 of us including me wife and two childern) my younger sister (5 including my sister her hubby, son *son's soon to be wife and there youngest) and my youngest sister all had thankgiving at my middle sisters house in Millwaukee. It was real nice until cars came on the topic. I own my 3 cars in my sig, my Impala, Bonneville and the Grand Prix, my middle sister owns a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9 V8) SLT loaded, 2000 Lexus RX300 AWD (loaded) her son a 2001 Nissan Xterra and her son to be wife and he a 2007 Camry LE (4cyl) the last daughter a 2003 Toyota Rav-4 L with all the toys. Then my baby sister owns a 2004 Impala Sedan stripped in silver. Guess who picked that out? :AH-HA_wink: To make it even better my middle sisters long time family friend works at large Toyota dealer managing the used cars on the lot 2 out of 3 are Toyota's. (Nice guy, crummy cars!)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Meat

Well my youngest sister whom I talk to almost weekly and see almost always every other week, forgot (right) to tell me Mr. Car that they had just purchased (my nephew and his soon to be bride bought a vanila colored Camry LE). Knowing I would eat my words being the kind lady she is looking for entertainment, let me get into it. Needless to say I did. I hit it whose new white Camry is that my lovable nephew pipes up ours, (the friend got a good deal on it) he quickly covered. I said I hope you have good luck with it and said did you consider an Accord or Tarurs or anything. No just wanted a nice Camry with low miles this one only had 2.5K on it was 4 grand off of sticker. A good deal I said. (Right) Well I bit my lips and soon found out that it was a divided table. My sister and brother in law don't care about cars but lean towards imports, my sister who used to like domestics is trying to decide and my wife and I buy American all the time. Intresting was what happened the rest of the time. I got the typically low resale value and faught back with my economics side, but alas I still lost no reason to keep trying...

All I know is this an American car is something I can still buy that is owned by a US company where the profits go back to them, so guess what I will keep buying them as long as they or I am around. So what do you people make of this talk? :rolleyes:

lessee...

mom/dad:

-grand marquis

-silverado

brother:

-outback (at least it's built in IN where he lives)

wife&I:

-2 saturn s-series

-suburban

My brother was suckered by the "outdoorsy" image of the outback & had to have one. He's not real set on any manufacturers, though, so it's never an argument. My parents buy American because that's what they know, and they've had good results (340k+ on previous truck, well over 200k on previous car)

Grandparents

2001 Caravan

Aunt/Uncle

2007 FJ Cruiser and 1994 Ford Aerostar

Aunt/Uncle

2006 Fusion and 2004 F150 Crew Cab

Aunt

2007 Mazda3 Hatchback

Aunt

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe

Uncle

1984 Oldsmobile Toronado, 1987 Dodge Caravan, 1986 Buick Riviera

With the exception of my Aunt Margaret and Aunt Michelle (who was stupid enough to buy an FJ) we're a domestic family to the core.

My Thanksgiving table included:

2005 Corvette (mine)

2007 Avalanche (mine)

2008 Trailblazer SS (son)

2007 Sky Red Line (son)

2007 Aura XR (future daughter in law)

2006 Impala SS (mom)

2005 Audi A8 4.2 (mom's boyfriend)

1992 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon (sister)

2005 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (uncle)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28) (aunt)

1996 Dodge Ram SLT Club Cab (cousin)

1999 Pontiac Trans Am (cousin's wife)

1995 Chevrolet Caprice LTZ (cousin)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (cousin's wife)

2003 Cadillac CTS (uncle)

2007 Hummer H3 (aunt)

Me: 2001 Olds Aurora, 1988 Olds Delta 88, 1985 Olds Cutlass Ciera

Brother: 1993 Buick LeSabre (I gave him my old car)

Dad: Had a 2000 Honda Civic but it was totaled in an accident last month so hes on a 2007 Pontiac G5

Uncle : 2001 Toyota Tacoma

Uncle: 1989 Acura Integra/2000 Chevy Impala

Aunt: 2006 Chevy Cobalt

Cousin: 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I had something similar happen at our Thanksgiving. My mom's side of the family is very rural so most of them drive Chevy and Dodge trucks, but a couple of my cousins (who are huge into Dodge) and who I would never have expected to hear this said "Those Toyota Tundras don't sound like too bad of a truck." I mean, these guys are your typical good old boys who watch NASCAR and work in the fields. One of my other cousins stepped in and started talking about how bad of gas mileage the Tundra gets compared to Chevy, then I pointed out the camshaft / tailgate stuff. I'm starting to wonder if people just see the 381 hp / big grille and automatically assume it's better.

One of my uncles who is a huge GM pusher (especially Chevy vehicles) doesn't like the new CTS...he's gotta be crazy or something.

I had something similar happen at our Thanksgiving. My mom's side of the family is very rural so most of them drive Chevy and Dodge trucks, but a couple of my cousins (who are huge into Dodge) and who I would never have expected to hear this said "Those Toyota Tundras don't sound like too bad of a truck." I mean, these guys are your typical good old boys who watch NASCAR and work in the fields. One of my other cousins stepped in and started talking about how bad of gas mileage the Tundra gets compared to Chevy, then I pointed out the camshaft / tailgate stuff. I'm starting to wonder if people just see the 381 hp / big grille and automatically assume it's better.

One of my uncles who is a huge GM pusher (especially Chevy vehicles) doesn't like the new CTS...he's gotta be crazy or something.

The constant inhalation of fertilizer seems to be having a detrimental effect upon their reasoning. :smilewide:

My Thanksgiving table included:

2005 Corvette (mine)

2007 Avalanche (mine)

2008 Trailblazer SS (son)

2007 Sky Red Line (son)

2007 Aura XR (future daughter in law)

2006 Impala SS (mom)

2005 Audi A8 4.2 (mom's boyfriend)

1992 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon (sister)

2005 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (uncle)

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28) (aunt)

1996 Dodge Ram SLT Club Cab (cousin)

1999 Pontiac Trans Am (cousin's wife)

1995 Chevrolet Caprice LTZ (cousin)

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (cousin's wife)

2003 Cadillac CTS (uncle)

2007 Hummer H3 (aunt)

You need to kick your mom's BF out. The only non Domestic in the family. :P

>>>>1992 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon (sister). That is awesome, I am in love with your sister. ;)

You need to kick your mom's BF out. The only non Domestic in the family. :P

>>>>1992 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon (sister). That is awesome, I am in love with your sister. ;)

My mom's BF is an okay guy. I'm trying to talk him into a Cadillac when his lease is up on his A8, but he's a die-hard Audi/VW guy and the most loaded STS that GM builds would be a step down from his A8. He has a VW Touareg TDI, too. I'll keep working on him.

About my sister, she has good taste in cars, but thats about it. Once you saw her, you'd run for your life. She's very tom boyish, even in her 40s.