Where would America be without unions?

Guest swallowit

With strong unions driving up expenses for companies, there is no reason for any company to not ship jobs overseas. There aren't enough jobs at McDonalds to go around, you'd better get yours now, you're going to be there for life anyways. We need to find some sort of middle ground, halfway between the unions raping the companies like now and the companies raping the workers like in the early 20th century.

Unions should have looked inside themselfs to see what was wrong with the picture and fixed it, along long time ago. Protecting slackers, bad attitudes, poor working characteristic, and in the case of the UAW some really silly contract conditions, but then again someone fell for it or at least they did not use the conditions to their benefit but rather continued to close shops, tear down buildings and pay non working employees. Organized labor is a good thing or can be I should say. It exists in all fields, so many just dont put a name on it, unspoken words, yet they have a unilateral objective and thats to keep their professions at the absolute peek of potential income. In the more labor-ish fields its more difficult to keep incomes in check and large workforces focused, so hence Unions seemed to be the answer. None of its that difficult in theory its the applaction that get tricky and out of control. Its called humanity. Selfish, self centered human nature. It exists in all professions.

Unions no longer need to 'fight' the corporate structure; they have already and succeeded beyond most peoples' wildest dreams.

For all the union-detractors, remember that our minimum wage, weekends, 40-hour work weeks, paid vacation, recognized holidays, child labor laws, OSHA standards, safety regulations, and employee benefits all came thanks to the blood, sweat, and tears of Union locals and their members over the course of the past 150 years.

Don't look at specific greedy factions of the UAW or Teamsters and think the same graft and abuse of power applies to all Unions. It doesn't. Many locals manage and run their own pension funds and healthcare packages for members. When one Brother is sick or injured, the others help out of the local's coffers and their own pockets if need be. They provide training via apprenticeships and journeymen programs that produce skilled and qualified tradesmen in the fields of millwork, plumping, pipefitting, carpentry, sheetmetal work, and hundreds of other vital general trades and specialties that always go overlooked. They raise money for local charities and youth organizations, they contribute to the tax base of the local economy, and they care for their families through decent death benefits when the federal government doesn't.

I believe Unions are still necessary today because we all know at least one place of employment around each of us that abuses their employees. They're not sending them into the coal pits anymore nor are they forcing them to live in racid corporate housing, but they are firing people for being black, Asian, homosexual, or Muslim. They're denying employees benefits they are entitled to. They're not providing them with adequate and safe equipment or working conditions. In other words, they're withholding the basic worker's rights the Union fought so hard for.

Unions should work towards extending the rights they've won to all instead of bitching about $1 here or a $1 there. Unions can be a powerful voice for exploited workers of all 'collars' to stand together against certain businesses and their practices. Bitching and moaning as some factions of the UAW are doing ends up hurting all parties.

It's Mutually Assured Destruction this Cold War between Unions and Corporations has to end sometime why not now. Well, hopefully, the workers won't get screwed in the war between labor pimps and robber barons. It's about time workers stood up for themselves as individuals instead of being played by two parties whom both are greedy for money and power. When Unions started most workers got a 4th grade education. Today, many have at least a GED or a HS diploma. I think workers today are smart enough and educated enough to safely negotiate a fair and just contract without some union rep butting in or the employer scamming them.

Unions are the workers banding together to ensure a good job/life for all. Extend that slightly and you get communism. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing unions. I'm extremely left wing, and even considered myself communist at one point. I just feel the need to point out to those who think of communism as the scare word it was during the cold war that unions go down that road...

See now, Chris, I read "where would America be without UNIFORMS?" and i was thinking wouldn't a trip to McDonald's really F**K with your head? Who would you talk to in WalMart?? Hell in a handbasket, that's America without uniforms in my opinion.... Edited by staceface

And I read the topic as "Where Would America Be Without Onions?" I'll tell you where: - There would be no other vegetables that make us cry, finally giving us full authority over the plant kingdom once and for all - I'd have to find something else to add a kick to my tomato sauce. Grape Jelly? Ginger Ale? Whatever would I do? - The dish "Sausage with Peppers and Onions" would have to be renamed "Sausage with Peppers" :hijacked: