Post 5000 and time to say good-bye

Hey guys:

It's been a while and my mind is elsewhere, as I gear up for a new job, a relocation and a lot of unknowns...so my stomach has been kind of knotty. Don't want to say much about the details as I will encounter the obligatory probationary period, but I will post once things settle down. The site was great for me and I was posting a lot as I sat in the library at school at night through last May when I finished a Master's and/or when I sat at work at night at a job and firm I no longer liked, despite being paid fairly well, largely because it didn't hold much in terms of a future. So you guys pulled me through.

I've made some good friends here. I've met 3 members in person while on vacation...all of whom are great people. I've also spoken to about 5 others via phone...again, all people very much worth knowing. (I've also sparred with a few people, but then political correctness has never been my strongest point).

I came to the site when the LaCrosse was in the works. With so many exciting things going on at GM, I've become boring in that I'm STILL contemplating either a LaCrosse (Allure), a Grand Prix or a Monte Carlo, with the latter 2 harder to get in color schemes I like. With all that's going on in my world, I don't need much more adventure and would be happy to get reliable service from one of these cars. So, that being said, it seems my forte has been posting travel pictorials and demographic analyses of the world around me. In short, I'm not contributing as much in the area of, well, CARS. I'm also trying to simplify things overall, dealing with high blood pressure and some other minor health issues. I've also decided to cut WAY back on travel as it has gotten a little tiresome and hasn't necessarily made me any happier.

I'll touch base when my job stabilizes, I buy a car and/or buy a place. In the meantime, if any of you would like to stay in touch, PM me an e-mail or a phone number (I do have flat rate on both the land line and the cell). THANKS for a great tenure on Cheers and Gears!

Here are some Europe pictures from summer I never posted, starting with SICILY:

The proud Air France 747 at Montreal's airport for the ride across:

042_42.jpg

The treat of sitting upstairs...a first for me:

054_54.jpg

My rented Smart in Sicily seen at quiet Marina di Ragusa on the south side of the island:

056_56.jpg

My favorite Sicilian baroque church - San Giorgio in Modica:

065_65.jpg

View from my hotel in Sicily in the resort of Taormina:

074_74.jpg

Going around a bend in Messina in my Smart, I see this...kind of a time warp:

080_80.jpg

Sicily in the foreground and "The Boot" across the Strait of Messina - a mere 1.5 miles:

082_82.jpg

A quiet beach in the Taormina area of Sicily - warm water and gentle surf:

084_84.jpg

PORTUGAL

The beautiful city of Porto with the Douro River meandering through

115_115.jpg

Viana do Castelo - an incredibly relaxing and scenic coastal town in the north of Portugal

110_110.jpg

103_103.jpg

This really ornate dining room in a "pousada" (exclusive historic hotel) in Viana do Castelo

112_112.jpg

More photos in another post

Portugal's breathtaking Madeira Island - 600 miles off in the Atlantic:

005_5.jpg

053_53.jpg

050_50.jpg

One day, hiking on these trails on a mountain, next photo, I came across these new and abandoned pups which I fed for about 3 days until meeting a neighbor I befriended who stumbled into them as well and promised to take care of them.

039_39.jpg

010_10.jpg

037_37.jpg

036_36.jpg

The pups' mother - abandonded, timid and with an infection/blindness in one eye...she kept her distance, growled but seemed to be ok with the fact that we were bringing food

011_11.jpg

Island hop over to Spain's Canary Islands, specifically to the city of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria:

064_64.jpg

070_70.jpg

071_71.jpg

Back to Italy .... Sardinia with my cousins:

094_94.jpg

What ruins an Italian beach vacation these days...peddlers selling counterfeit goods that are in the country illegally and pass your towel at the rate of one every 3 minutes, forcing one to look up and say "No, thanks". I told my cousins that would NOT be permissible in Pensacola, South Padre or Santa Barbara where people are looking for a quiet beach experience.

104_104.jpg

103_103-1.jpg

Have a blessed Christmas if you celebrate it or, if not, have a great holiday season!

Beautiful pics, Bob. I hope all goes well with your move, your new job, your health, and your happiness. Don't be a stranger. You'll be missed.

Well I tried to post this response this morning during my normal time, but the server wouldn't let me.

Bob, I consider you a "Lifetime Member" of C&G. Yes, we have grated each other like aged romano from time to time, but you'll always be a part of this place.

Hey Bob,

AWESOME pics ... sorry that you are leaving us for a while. Do come back when you are able!

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Have a happy holiday" ... Brenda Lee ... 'Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree'

• 2 weeks later...