Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

H3 shopping

regfootball

so, if I was to consider an H3 as my next daily driver, would that be absurd?

consider this, they are leasing cheap right now. and they have utility. mpg is better than say, a tahoe and not really that much worse than an SRX or acadia or edge or explorer or something.

I would be looking at a base model H3 with a stick. I'd really like a stick again.

No doubt I would bear wrath from a couple coworkers, who despise cars and SUV's in particular, and such. Screw them I say. I'll run over their little MAAAZZZZZZdahs.

Isn't an H3 just a tarted up trailblazer with greater off road capability?

they aren't too big, and they really look cool, and its a GM product.

After getting stuck in the miserable RAV4 rental last week, i really feel like i need to look at something very 'anti-toyota'.

anyone else ever think about looking into an H3? I still almost never see them on the roads.

Edited by regfootball

mpg is better than say, a tahoe and not really that much worse than an SRX or acadia or edge or explorer or something.

Im not sure that's true. You'd be at about 14/18 in an H3.

You'd be at about 16/24 in a FWD Acadia. Same in an FWD Edge. But if youre going AWD in either...about 16/22.

so, if I was to consider an H3 as my next daily driver, would that be absurd?

consider this, they are leasing cheap right now. and they have utility. mpg is better than say, a tahoe and not really that much worse than an SRX or acadia or edge or explorer or something.

I would be looking at a base model H3 with a stick. I'd really like a stick again.

No doubt I would bear wrath from a couple coworkers, who despise cars and SUV's in particular, and such. Screw them I say. I'll run over their little MAAAZZZZZZdahs.

Isn't an H3 just a tarted up trailblazer with greater off road capability?

they aren't too big, and they really look cool, and its a GM product.

After getting stuck in the miserable RAV4 rental last week, i really feel like i need to look at something very 'anti-toyota'.

anyone else ever think about looking into an H3? I still almost never see them on the roads.

It's cramped inside, and outward visibility sucks. It's like the Magnum you loathe, only slower, less useful, more expensive to fill up, poorer handling, harder to climb into, cramped in the back, with a giant spare tire on the hatch and less cargo capacity than a RAV4. Very little "utility."

Its fuel economy is actually worse than the Tahoe - 13/18 and 242 hp vs. 14/19 and 320 hp. So, yes, that would make an absurd daily driver, IMO.

Slower 0-60 than a 4-cylinder RAV4, too.

Edited by empowah

i really liked sitting in the H3 at the auto show. I guess the outward viz would be an issue.

plus all H3 are 4wd, right?

it's just so coooooool......it's like a jeep wrangler that's not so wussy.

FWIW, i drive about 30-35 miles a day.

Edmunds owner reviews are all over the map on real mpg.

fuel economy.gov shows an avg of 16 mpg for the 2007 auto and 19 for the 06 manual.

BTW, I like the magnum, except for its cheap interior and claustrophobia.

Edited by regfootball

I think the H3 is based on the GMT355 platform, not GMT360, but anyhoo. There's a local radio station, and one of the morning guys has an H3 for his personal vehicle. He does his own ads for it on his show, and every time he says it comes as a V6 or a V8, I want to reach through my speaker and smack him, the dummy. He prolly never opened his hood.

I think the H3 is based on the GMT355 platform, not GMT360, but anyhoo. There's a local radio station, and one of the morning guys has an H3 for his personal vehicle. He does his own ads for it on his show, and every time he says it comes as a V6 or a V8, I want to reach through my speaker and smack him, the dummy. He prolly never opened his hood.

I'd call the radio station and try to get on air to tell him this...

If you want an H3, buy an H3.

Who cares what everyone else thinks, such as 'also rans' who drive mid-size sedans.

I really don't see why an H3 is so "absurd" for daily transportation considering what else is on the road. What's absurd is the fact that we get judged as good or bad based on what we choose to drive. It's nothing more than acceptable prejudice/stereotyping.

With an H1 I could understand, but an H3 and even an H2 are perfectly fine.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

See, FOGM, you are a smart guy. And really, how is driving an H3 any different than say, a trailblazer, grand cherokee, commander, explorer, etc. I know folks with pathfinders, xterras, etc. People are still stuck on the hummer stigma. But I doubt the H3 gets any worse mpg than say, a new tundra or sequoia. I guess if someone ripped me for driving an H3 i would tell them to GFT and stop driving their Avalanches or Trailblazers or Durangos or 4runners too.

See, FOGM, you are a smart guy. And really, how is driving an H3 any different than say, a trailblazer, grand cherokee, commander, explorer, etc. I know folks with pathfinders, xterras, etc. People are still stuck on the hummer stigma. But I doubt the H3 gets any worse mpg than say, a new tundra or sequoia. I guess if someone ripped me for driving an H3 i would tell them to GFT and stop driving their Avalanches or Trailblazers or Durangos or 4runners too.

True, not much different than driving any other midsize SUV...I couldn't drive the H3 because of the ugly exterior and ugly interior... the mileage is no worse than my Grand Cherokee, it sounds like. The Hummer brand has such a 'poser' image, though (compared to other SUV brands).

Reg, I too like the Hummer H3 and can't wait to see the pickup version, hopefully sometime in 2008. You are wrong on which GM platform they share - it's the GMT-355 platform (GMC Canyon/Chevy Colorado) that it's based on and is built alongside of those pickups in Shreveport, LA (ocnblu pointed this out already).

I like their look and don't remember much about my seat time in one at last February's Philly Auto Show. I know that I would like to keep the H3 lineup in my radar when I replace my AURA lease around or before November '09. I really want a Sierra, but don't need a full-size truck. While the Canyon is nice, its downgraded interior and me-too "Colorado" look turn me off (the H3's interior is different just enough).

If the H3 is what you really like and can live with, I say go for it. I see tons of them on the roads in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

I would buy an H3 if I didn't need as much towing ability as I do. I am already towing at the capabilities on my Suburban, so I couldn't go much smaller. It is a damn cool looking SUV, you are right, and they aren't a dime a dozen like the Tahoe and Suburban. If you think you want one, go for it. Don't listen to what everyone says if you want one. You bought an Aztek for gosh sakes (no offense, I don't mind the Aztek) so obviously you don't really care what everyone else thinks.

I've considered an H3 as my next vehicle now that the Grand Cherokee is paid off. Doubt I'll be doing any actual shopping for a while, but I really enjoyed driving my friends grandpa's H3 for a day. That was about a year ago, but they still intrigue me. Also, I see them all the time here in Wyoming, I even know a rancher that bought about 5 of them for daily use along with his GMC's.

Reg, if you want an H3, then you go get yourself one. There are quite a few up here and they seem to do great in the snow. I especially like the commercial with the Hummer's helping victims of bad weather and hummerhelps.com