Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oracle of Delphi

UTT OHH, Zeta Platform in question

56 posts in this topic

As promised the GM SHOW is about to begin, hey kids? The Börger and his friends within GM now have the keys to the kingdom.

Here is something else you can gnash your teeth on. 2008 promises to be even more fun, the economy will play a big part, people will not be buying cars in 2008 like they did before.

Got your popcorn ready? It's going to be a great show.

Oh and I want to thank those here that gave me the inspiration to help bring GM Europe's vision of GM to life. You know who you are. :scratchchin:

Oh and TICK-TOCK! :AH-HA_wink:

Just some light reading, enjoy: http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/04/gen...rearwheeld.html

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Here is something else you can gnash your teeth on. 2008 promises to be even more fun, the economy will play a big part, people will not buying cars in 2008 like they did before.

So are you saying that GM will be sweetening the deals to move product in 2008 to those that will be in the market? Because if that's true, I'm hoping to cash in when the Envoy lease expires on or before the summer!!!

So, you and your buddies are running the great Bob Lutz out of town, only to replace his promising vision with your own dull, gray, tiny, FWD bitter pill. I am not impressed, Borger. <_<

This is an old article and we've already moaned and groaned over it. Still, I don't doubt it's the case.

I have some interesting thoughs on this subject, and you'll probably get to read them by the time the weekend's out. Oh, and :smilewide:

No Zeta platform, eh? Well then it looks like it's time to find myself a little shop because I see rebuilding a lot of old Cadillacs and Chevy trucks in my future. If GM isn't going to build vehicles that appeal to me then I'll just have to redo the ones they used to build to ready them for daily service again.

From the article:

So it comes down to the matter of fuel economy. Or as Lutz says: "We don't know how to get 30 percent better mileage from" RWD cars.

:bs: Sorry, this is just FUD. While I do believe there is a difference in economy between FWD and RWD, it's not great enough that there couldn't be a substantial improvement for both.

As much as I like Lutz, I have to call him out on this as either a lie or intentional FUD. They do know how to get 30% better CAFE mileage from RWD cars. It's called FlexFuel. It's called 2-mode Hybrid. It's called new diesel technology. It's called E-Flex.

The Volt comes out in 2010. The new CAFE regs hit 35mpg in what..2022? If GM can't expand E-Flex technology to cover full size sedans in 14 years, they should really just close up shop now and sell the whole thing off.

edit: for those of you who don't read SlashDot.org, FUD means "Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt"

No Zeta platform, eh? Well then it looks like it's time to find myself a little shop because I see rebuilding a lot of old Cadillacs and Chevy trucks in my future. If GM isn't going to build vehicles that appeal to me then I'll just have to redo the ones they used to build to ready them for daily service again.

+1

No German or Korean mini-mobiles will ever pollute my driveway.

From the article:

:bs: Sorry, this is just FUD. While I do believe there is a difference in economy between FWD and RWD, it's not great enough that there couldn't be a substantial improvement for both.

As much as I like Lutz, I have to call him out on this as either a lie or intentional FUD. They do know how to get 30% better CAFE mileage from RWD cars. It's called FlexFuel. It's called 2-mode Hybrid. It's called new diesel technology. It's called E-Flex.

The Volt comes out in 2010. The new CAFE regs hit 35mpg in what..2022? If GM can't expand E-Flex technology to cover full size sedans in 14 years, they should really just close up shop now and sell the whole thing off.

I totally agree.

Agreeing to drive Opel minis and micros with no RWD enjoyment of powertrain, is like surrendering the freedom and independence this country has given its citizens.

Yes, the driving habits should change no doubt, but not by force from the outsiders, the force should be from within.

I hope GM doesn't succumb to those German surrender monkeys.

If they do, the death-rattle will be very loud.

Ya Know... At this point, I could really care less if Zeta happens or not... I mean FWD or RWD or even AWD I could care less. All I want is a BIG, AMERICAN, CAR. Is that so hard? I am really wary of talk of replacing the Impala with EPII or cutting it altogether, what does this do for me? Take Impala out of the picture. When I go to buy a car from GM, I'll have the following choices based on my own criteria: DTS Replacement, Lucerne Replacement, Regal. Hoping that the new Regal is a real Buick and not a warmed over Lexus that looks like a Buick, a relatively base model one will be in my grasp (I Hope).

With the moving of Buick upmarket, There will not be anything to directly replace the Impala should it be discontinued. Just like the LeSabre, the Impala is a premium American family sedan, not a Near-Luxury or Luxury Car. If there is equivalent offering to the current Lucerne CX in the new large Buick sedan as a result of the move upmarket, than the Impala has to stay, because there is no more brand overlap, and it won't be splitting sales with the other similarly priced W-Bodies or the Lucerne CX, this increasing sales quite a bit methinks. Weather the NG Impala is a Zeta, a Modified-to-fit-a-6-Speed G-Body, or an EPII that somehow doesn't drive like a Malibu, it needs to be there.

I hope GM doesn't succumb to those German surrender monkeys.

You know Oldsmoboi, I am sure there are many German members of C&G, either in Germany or German by decent that would not find your comment funny. After all you wouldn't say the N word would you or call the Japanese a Jap or a Gay person a Faggot would you? So German surrender monkeys is equally offensive! :scratchchin:

Here maybe this will open up your mind, http://www.gmeurope.tv

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

You know Oldsmoboi, I am sure there are many German members of C&G, either in Germany or German by decent that would not find your comment funny. After all you wouldn't say the N word would you or call the Japanese a Jap or a Gay person a Faggot would you? So German surrender monkeys is equally offensive! :scratchchin:

Here maybe this will open up your mind, http://www.gmeurope.tv

Apparently my targeting sensors have pinpoint accuracy. The comment was meant specifically for your consumption. :AH-HA_wink:

The issues at hand are far larger than the fate of Impala.

I know, I know. We need the Camaro, we need a Pontiac version with 1977 Firebird Retro Cues, we need an Impala that is a retro throwback to 1965 or 1966 (all these will sell dammit, RWD or not for the Impala), we need to move G8 Production to the good old USA or at Least Canada, this decision on the Impala at the end of the day has the possibility to make or break at least one division: Pontiac.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

I know, I know. We need the Camaro, we need a Pontiac version with 1977 Firebird Retro Cues, we need an Impala that is a retro throwback to 1965 or 1966 (all these will sell dammit, RWD or not for the Impala), we need to move G8 Production to the good old USA or at Least Canada, this decision on the Impala at the end of the day has the possibility to make or break at least one division: Pontiac.

Much larger than even all of that.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0