Toyota @ NAIAS: A-BAT concept truck

Surprised this hasn't been posted here yet...Toyota has a concept for the Detroit Auto Show of a Ridgeline-eque hybrid unibody pickup...the styling reminds me of the Dodge Rampage concept..

Autoweek Article

All I know is that it is MUCH less ugly than the Ridgeline.

I'd still rather have a diesel Rabbitt Pickup.

They should call it the Prius Suburbia. Toyota should create a separate brand called Prius for all their hybrids...

:lol:

Still, I like the looks of it so far. I just hope Toyota doesn't go spoiling it by dipping into the FJ parts bin too much. Whether we like it or not, there is an entire legion of 'urban warriors' out there who really don't need the heft of the Avalanche but want something they can dump firewood or their ex-wife's body into, without worrying about the mess.

:lol:

Still, I like the looks of it so far. I just hope Toyota doesn't go spoiling it by dipping into the FJ parts bin too much. Whether we like it or not, there is an entire legion of 'urban warriors' out there who really don't need the heft of the Avalanche but want something they can dump firewood or their ex-wife's body into, without worrying about the mess.

Yes... I have no need for the obesity, poor driving characteristics, and negative image of a regular truck, but something like that would be useful for me for the occasional Home Depot/Best Buy/etc trip and weekend stuff (mountain bike, skis, etc)..

But then again, if I can't get it into my Jeep now, I have it delivered.

Edited by moltar

I still fail to see how a 181" long 'truck', even with a 'lifted' :wink: mid-gate, will swallow anything 8' long... unless it hangs 2' out the rear. That's one tiny-assed 'truck'.

By its unique architecture, where the 8' long thing will go into the engine bay.

At one point, Toyota was planning on making "Prius" into a division for all of it's hybrids.

I can't wait to read the articles on this thing... "Beware Detroit" et al. Just like when the Ridgeline came out and every insider here/media member declared it the end of Detroit's trucks.

It's pretty sad that we live in America and the pick up truck has acquired a 'negative image' I mean, I can see a bit of a negative image with the SUVs and soccer moms. But a negative image with trucks and the honest hard working people that drive them who use them to make a living??!?! Oh wait, I forgot, the negative image is actually conotated with honesty, hard work and being 'american' in general.

:fiery:

It's pretty sad that we live in America and the pick up truck has acquired a 'negative image' I mean, I can see a bit of a negative image with the SUVs and soccer moms. But a negative image with trucks and the honest hard working people that drive them who use them to make a living??!?! Oh wait, I forgot, the negative image is actually conotated with honesty, hard work and being 'american' in general.

The 'negative' image I was referring to is that I usually associate pickups with conservatives and right-wingers...demographics I wouldn't want to be associated with. (I've got my biases, I'll admit.. :)

Edited by moltar

Guest YellowJacket894
I think it is ugly for the side and worse from the front. The new Toyota design language sucks.

Design language? Well, only if you can call random yelling and screaming "language ..."

If you want a image of what Voit taste like Toyota has done it. The companies in Japan seldom have original designs so now they are stealing from each other now. They need to lear to let the Itallians do all their design work.

This is just a Ridgline rip off with Toyota's own mechanical bits under the shell.

As for fitting the 8 foot plywood in, I betting it has a fold down front seat and you sit on it. :AH-HA_wink:

This I am sure will find it's niche market like the Ridgline but for real truck users [not just the red necks] it is just another car.

Edited by hyperv6

I think you're all giving this thing way too much credit. Right off the bat, I see three things wrong with it:

1) The apparent size of the engine bay tells me "transverse V6", which doesn't imply a very heavy hauling ability to me. Ever seen a Ridgeline carrying anything heavier than the moron who bought it?

2) Those half-doors behind the main ones are a liability compared to the majority of crew-cab pickups on the market.

3) I love the sound of snapping camshafts in the morning...

I think it is ugly for the side and worse from the front. The new Toyota design language sucks.

I was not aware that Toyota had actually been designing cars, so much as putting random parts together to see what sticks.

Design language? Well, only if you can call random yelling and screaming "language ..."

Heh-heh... I can't recall when Toyota had a decent overall design theme, other than dull. Though I do like the current Lexus design themes..

Honestly, here's the epitome of Toyota design. They should have just stopped after this...

6541-1981-Toyota-Corolla.jpg

Honestly, here's the epitome of Toyota design. They should have just stopped after this...

('81 Corolla pic)

The shape of that era of Corolla kind of reminds me of the '70s Datsun 510..

Edited by moltar

Guest YellowJacket894

My opinion? The only decent designs to come out of Toyota's design studios are a handful of Celicas, the '93 Supra, and the 2000GT (which owes a lot of credit to European designs, mainly Jaguar). I would include the MR2 in there but ... eh, no. One generation looked like a Camry-fied Fiero and the other like a Camry-fied Porsche Boxster.