Half plus seven

Not sure if everyone has heard of this 'rule' so here's an explanation.

The youngest age of person you should be going after (sexually) is half your age plus seven years.

ie. I am 24. 1/2 of 24 is 12, plus 7 is 19. So 18 and lower is wrong.

Then I have other friends who tell me that as long as everything is legal, what's the problem? Anyone 16 and up in Ontario is free game.

So... if I refuse to have sex with a 16 year old girl, does that make me a chump or a decent human being?

24 year old dude sexin up a 16 year old is gross....

A 34 year old with a 26 is no big deal, it's all relative.

Never heard of this 0.5 +7 rule, works I guess....

Not sure if everyone has heard of this 'rule' so here's an explanation.

The youngest age of person you should be going after (sexually) is half your age plus seven years.

ie. I am 24. 1/2 of 24 is 12, plus 7 is 19. So 18 and lower is wrong.

Then I have other friends who tell me that as long as everything is legal, what's the problem? Anyone 16 and up in Ontario is free game.

So... if I refuse to have sex with a 16 year old girl, does that make me a chump or a decent human being?

The Age of Consent in Ontario (Canada, actually, because I believe this is a federal statute) is 14, unless the 'older' person is in a position of authority (teacher, doctor, camp scout, etc.), otherwise it is 16 for those people.

The rule you mention sounds plausible, although I dated a few 25 year olds a few years ago and found that although they were a blast in bed (youthful exuberance!), conversation and interests really were lacking. It is difficult to not be condescending when one has lived through more than a few decades on this planet, then listen to the 'starry-eye' idealism of someone half your age. I would never want to kill that enthusiasm, so I decided that dating guys who were 30+ was better for me. Besides, I remember dating someone who heard me playing 'Walk Like a Man' by the Four Seasons (circa '62 or something like that - my mother used to play them all the time when I was a kid) and my BF at the time (who was at that time only 9 years younger than me) was floored because he thought it was an original piece by Divine from the middle '80s.

And there is no such thing as childhood innocense. Remember, 100 years ago it was common for people to be married at 14 and have kids right away. My aunt is only 69 and she was married at 16 and had her first kid shortly after. One of my best Brazilian friends who is 40 married his 24 year old BF recently. I wished them all the best, but I doubt very very much that the marriage will last. I won't pass judgment, but I do seriously wonder about the mental state of the 40 year old who is married to someone 16 years their junior. I mean, what the hell are they going to do when the older one retires, and the younger has to work for another 16 years!!?

The Age of Consent in Ontario (Canada, actually, because I believe this is a federal statute) is 14, unless the 'older' person is in a position of authority (teacher, doctor, camp scout, etc.), otherwise it is 16 for those people.

The rule you mention sounds plausible, although I dated a few 25 year olds a few years ago and found that although they were a blast in bed (youthful exuberance!), conversation and interests really were lacking. It is difficult to not be condescending when one has lived through more than a few decades on this planet, then listen to the 'starry-eye' idealism of someone half your age. I would never want to kill that enthusiasm, so I decided that dating guys who were 30+ was better for me. Besides, I remember dating someone who heard me playing 'Walk Like a Man' by the Four Seasons (circa '62 or something like that - my mother used to play them all the time when I was a kid) and my BF at the time (who was at that time only 9 years younger than me) was floored because he thought it was an original piece by Divine from the middle '80s.

And there is no such thing as childhood innocense. Remember, 100 years ago it was common for people to be married at 14 and have kids right away. My aunt is only 69 and she was married at 16 and had her first kid shortly after. One of my best Brazilian friends who is 40 married his 24 year old BF recently. I wished them all the best, but I doubt very very much that the marriage will last. I won't pass judgment, but I do seriously wonder about the mental state of the 40 year old who is married to someone 16 years their junior. I mean, what the hell are they going to do when the older one retires, and the younger has to work for another 16 years!!?

Interesting ideas.

Now that I've received a few untainted responses I'll reveal the whole situation.

A 26-year-old friend of mine recently got engaged to a 37-year-old man. He knows that I've slept with her before. This was a long time ago, I would never knowingly help someone cheat. He has kids from a previous marriage. The 16-year-old who was trying to get with me was his daughter. Now you understand why I said no? :AH-HA_wink: I don't even want to know what he would do to me if he found out.

It made me think though, if I wasn't in that situation and it was just some other random 16-year-old, would I? So that's why I started this thread, just wanted to see what others thought.

I've almost always dated older women, usually by a year or two.

My wife Julie is 24 and I'm 28. That's a good spread I think. My

parents are 4 years appart too, dad was born '53 mom in '57.

I've almost always dated older women, usually by a year or two.

My wife Julie is 24 and I'm 28. That's a good spread I think. My

parents are 4 years appart too, dad was born '53 mom in '57.

My parents have the same spread but 5 years older... '48 and '52.

My mother's parents were a strange coincidence with birthdays.

7/28/28 and 7/29/29

My parents have the same spread but 5 years older... '48 and '52.

My mother's parents were a strange coincidence with birthdays.

7/28/28 and 7/29/29

My parents were born in 52 and 55, but my grandparents were born about 4 months apart.

All of my friends have always been older (1-20 years older.) I've also always dated older. Very rarely has anyone younger attracted my attention.

It's funny though. I still get "hit on" by 22-24 year olds thinking I'm their age or younger. They're shocked (and usually uncomfortable) when I tell them my age, which I'm now 31.

I must get my youthful appearance from my mother. She still looks like she's in her early 40's even though she's almost 55. I need to consider highlights again or the "premature" gray hairs might begin to betray me. :AH-HA_wink:

When I was younger, I was only attracted to men who were older than I, or women about the same age. As I've gotten older, some younger guys are catching my attention. I look less at men older than I. They gotta be pretty damn hot to keep my attention. I also don't like being dadiedd like I used to. I prefer to be the "daddy" I guess. Funny how it changes over time.

I must get my youthful appearance from my mother. She still looks like she's in her early 40's even though she's almost 55. I need to consider highlights again or the "premature" gray hairs might begin to betray me. :AH-HA_wink:

Anderson Cooper is the new "young" sexy of the world. I dunno about guys, but girls love young men with Gray hair.

As I've gotten older, some younger guys are catching my attention.

Stop looking at my picture K.C., it is not happening. :P

So, nobody wants to break out the "If theres grass on the field, play ball" rule? Or the horrible, atrocious bastardization, "If theres grass on the field play ball, if there isn't, flip her over and play in the mud"? Forget I ever typed that.

So, nobody wants to break out the "If theres grass on the field, play ball" rule? Or the horrible, atrocious bastardization, "If theres grass on the field play ball, if there isn't, flip her over and play in the mud"? Forget I ever typed that.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I just had to quote this to prevent you from removing it later on....

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I'll one up you though... real men play in the mud despite the grass. Please tell me this topic is in the lounge? :ph34r:

Since college, I've always dated older...my ex- fiancee was 4 years older... my g/fs since then have been older, from 1 year to 6... my current on-again/off-again g/f is 41, I'm 37..

My parents were 10 years apart (mom was 40 when I was born, dad was 50). My family has an odd thing with birthdates---mine is 6/28, mom's is 1/28, dad's was 10/29, and my sister's is 7/29. My brother is the odd one, 8/21.