Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Nissan and Chrysler in Small Car/Big Truck Alliance

Nissan Motor,Japan's third-biggest automaker,is preparing to produce fuel effcient small vehicles for Chrysler,taking a

different route to enhance its presence in the American market despite concern about a slowdown.

The two auto firms are in the final stages of negotiation on a deal for Nissan to supply Chrysler with small cars models with an engine displacement of around 1.8 liters,Japanese broadcaster NHK reported on Thursday.

The pact is expected to boost Nissan's sales in the U.S market,and to help Chrysler make a turnaround from its recent weakness,attributed in part to an overdependence on light truck sales,the report said.A Nissan spokeswoman confirmed the ongoing talks with Chrysler but stressed nothing has been decided.

Talk of Nissan-Chrysler cooperation has been circulating around the auto industry since last fall.And the synergy of allying Japanese small car technology with U.S big truck expertise seems evident.More here

Edited by Toyota.vs.GM

I honestly like the idea of Nissan/Chrysler/Renault, and I'm really not sure why. Nissan's really the only Japanese company I'd ever consider buying new from, and I'm unbiased about Renault, but they do seem to have pretty sweet vehicles.

Interesting to see them team together on a truck when both the Titan and Ram are some of the worst trucks on the market right now.

I fail to see how the Ram is that bad...?

I mean, at least it has looks on its side. The Titan has...well...it sure is expensive, anyway... :scratchchin:

• 2 weeks later...
Renault was AMC's partner so it makes perfect sense that Renault-Nissan will once again partner with Chrysler. I just hope the products are better this time around.
No kidding! The first car I ever owned was a 1984 Renault Alliance. Talk about a POS! I hated that car more than I've ever hated any other car and in my early days, I owned a lot POS's so that is saying a lot. Edited by 2QuickZ's

No kidding! The first car I ever owned was a 1984 Renault Alliance. Talk about a POS! I hated that car more than I've ever hated any other car and in my early days, I owned a lot POS's so that is saying a lot.

Yeah, and like a '84 Tercel was SOOO much better..... Let's not judge ANY manufacturer by what they built 24 years ago, okay? I think we all agree that the '80s is a decade best forgotten. Everybody built crap back then. That's the trouble: most of the import humpers today are basing their opinions on what they (or in most cases, their parents) owned in the '80s). I had the misfortune of owning a '82 Dodge Rampage and '87 Dodge Shadow back then, but I do not judge Chrysler today based on that.

Renault and Citroen today have some very interesting vehicles - just not in North America.

I fail to see how the Ram is that bad...?

I mean, at least it has looks on its side. The Titan has...well...it sure is expensive, anyway... :scratchchin:

Well, the Ram is obese and ugly, with nasty, cheap plastics inside...other than that...

I too love the idea of Chrysler and Renault. And like NOS said, Nissan is the only Japanese automaker I really respect these days. Another aspect about this synergy I like is that Renault, Chrysler and Nissan all have a history of designing creativity. Yes, Nissan's design surge is more recent, but I feel the Infiniti J30 always represented the talent at Nissan.

Yeah, and like a '84 Tercel was SOOO much better..... Let's not judge ANY manufacturer by what they built 24 years ago, okay? I think we all agree that the '80s is a decade best forgotten. Everybody built crap back then. That's the trouble: most of the import humpers today are basing their opinions on what they (or in most cases, their parents) owned in the '80s). I had the misfortune of owning a '82 Dodge Rampage and '87 Dodge Shadow back then, but I do not judge Chrysler today based on that.

Renault and Citroen today have some very interesting vehicles - just not in North America.

No worries about me. I make my judgements based on current product. I simply said I hope their new products are better and I am confident they will be. How could they not be? The whole industry has advanced tremendously in the last 10 years, let alone 25. I agree that pretty much every car from the late 70's and early 80's was abysmal.

Edit:Plus, as you can see from my signature, I'm not exactly an import humper! :D

Edited by 2QuickZ's