Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Camino LS6

High hopes for Chicago but,...

104 posts in this topic

... if the G8 ST isn't annnounced there, I may shelve all notions of a new car purchase. The truth is that I don't now, nor ever will, need to buy a new car again. I have all but decided that I will not settle for close anymore, either they build exactly what I want, or I will buy used cars I actually like.

I will not compromise.

Although I like the new Camaro, it just isn't me. I don't want to be part of such a large crowd.

I may buy a used one someday, but I just can't see shelling out the cash for a car that is almost what I want.

Sad really, I enjoy buying new.

maybe cause im young, but as you say, i see no point in buying new if i have to compromise... ill have money to buy a new car in the summer, in cash... nothing peaks my interest,... theres a small chance i may buy a used GTO, but otherewise... theres no passion in newcars....

im hoping for the ST too .... i will be so pissed if it doesnt come<_<

Sadly, it seems as if "enthusiast" has become a dirty word at GM.

The appliancefication of the automobile has truly begun in the United States.

Edited by smallchevy

That happened many years ago...look at all the Corolla and Camry buyers (not to mention the millions of FWD generics GM sold in the '80s-90s).

That happened many years ago...look at all the Corolla and Camry buyers (not to mention the millions of FWD generics GM sold in the '80s-90s).

So the last scraps of interesting cars will now be swept away.

So the last scraps of interesting cars will now be swept away.

ZR-1, CTS-V, CTS Coupe, Camaro, G6 - yeah, GM hasn't introduced anything interesting lately.

Guys, relax. The sky is NOT falling and this is NOT 1973.

ZR-1, CTS-V, CTS Coupe, Camaro, G6 - yeah, GM hasn't introduced anything interesting lately.

Sure it is, only the rich will get to play.

Yes, there is plenty of good stuff out now and coming....the drama queens on this board are taking things to extremes, I think.

If anything, the "appliancefication" of cars happened years ago and is now slowly being reversed. The 80s and 90s gave us some of the blandest, uninspired crap the automotive industry has seen.

Look at GM's mainstream cars of the past 20 years, and then what it produces now (or will in the near future) for proof of this.

Sure it is, only the rich will get to play.

Not as far as the Camaro, G8, and the Alpha vehicles (regardless of mainstream brand) are concerned.

Not as far as the Camaro, G8, and the Alpha vehicles (regardless of mainstream brand) are concerned.

I have exactly one choice, or rather I will in a year or so. Yippeee :rolleyes:

Here is the criteria:

RWD

V8

Manual trans

Coupe

or

Convertible

or

Wagon

or

Ute

under 40k

Total right now from GM: 0

Total in a year + from GM: 1

Corvette ZR1

Cadillac CTS-V

HHR SS

Camaro

Cobalt SS

G8 GT/GXP

All sorts of performance cars and varying budgets. I don't think I agree with you based on the 6 cars I just mentioned.

Corvette ZR1

Cadillac CTS-V

HHR SS

Camaro

Cobalt SS

G8 GT/GXP

All sorts of performance cars and varying budgets. I don't think I agree with you based on the 6 cars I just mentioned.

See my earlier post for the criteria.

Of your list:

2 are made of unobtanium

3 are undesireable (for me)

1 isn't here yet

Here is the criteria:

RWD

V8

Manual trans

Coupe

or

Convertible

or

Wagon

or

Ute

under 40k

Total right now from GM: 0

Total in a year + from GM: 1

If you'd relinquish just one item (the V8) you'd have the Solstice, Sky, and Alpha-based vehicles to consider. I know you really want a V8, but their intent and purpose have diminished considerably aside from the "prestige" factor.

If you'd relinquish just one item (the V8) you'd have the Solstice, Sky, and Alpha-based vehicles to consider. I know you really want a V8, but their intent and purpose have diminished considerably aside from the "prestige" factor.

I know.

I'm afraid that I am unbending on all of it.

I have to have a truck - so I do. Anything else I buy will be because I want to buy it, so I just have no reason to compromise.

I know.

I'm afraid that I am unbending on all of it.

I have to have a truck - so I do. Anything else I buy will be because I want to buy it, so I just have no reason to compromise.

You just have to accept that's it's not 1970...you aren't going to get the wide variety of RWD V8 bodystyles that GM had then..it's a different time, different place.

You just have to accept that's it's not 1970...you aren't going to get the wide variety of RWD V8 bodystyles that GM had then..it's a different time, different place.

I'd settle for some variety, any one of the 4 bodystyles I mentioned would do. But sedans are out - now and forever.

Come to think of it, in 1970 GM easily had 50 models to meet my criteria.

Progress?!

I know the feeling man...

I've almost thought about just selling the Focus and getting old stuff (Some show cars and a nice daily driver)

It's be cheaper, the cars would actually appreciate as opposed to depreciate and the cars actually have personality.

That's one reason I hate the asians so much.... They began the homogeneous car wars and when the media jumped to their side, no one was ALLOWED to be different anymore.

For example; look at the Malibu. Sure it's attractive and competent enough, but it's basically the same car as a Camry or Accord. Blandish, 'big face' monochrome styling, 4 doors, the 'must have' DOHC engine and a toned down interior.

I honestly don't think it'll be as bad as some predict though... Remember: we will innovate through this, the car guys within GM, Ford, Chrysler, BMW, MB, et al. are just too passionate for that not to happen.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Corvette ZR1

Cadillac CTS-V

HHR SS

Camaro

Cobalt SS

G8 GT/GXP

Agreed. And only a few of these I could afford : Cobalt and HHR SS...

and Maybe a V6 Camaro........

Sometimes your dream car is not a new car....

We're being told that we're not a prime market anymore, GM's hometown or not. We will be assimilated. Those of us with reasonable expectations will be disappointed. Those of us who are indifferent to the automobile will notice no difference. In the future, GMNA vehicles will grow wool and say "baahhhh" when the horn button is pressed.

Yes, the CTS coupe is a stunner... it is a Cadillac. The Camaro is a stunner... but with no platform mates to support the investment here in NA, how long will it last? Big deal... a Buick bound for China, is that going to keep the Camaro viable?

Enthusiasts who are GM loyalists (and that herd is thinning daily as time ticks with no answers from GM brass), who are everyday Americans on a budget, are being told that they cannot have what they want, it is that simple (nana na NA naaaah naah). Who will take up the slack?

That's it exactly, Ocn.

We have been gawking at Holdens for how long now?

Still nothing on the lot.

I intend to do my part, I will buy what I like and only what I like. I will not settle for a sedan, a V6, or FWD. Isn't going to happen.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0