Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dsuupr

Buying American owned & made does matter

106 posts in this topic

This is my hot button lately. I'm getting flat out pissed off that people are screwing me and my kids because of their stupid purchases.

Recent Lou Dobbs comment on the trade deficit

Funny how he leaves cars out of his article. Too many Americans would be offended to know that their beloved toyota isn't so American after all.

Level Field Institute updated webpage shows how little foreign makes, make here.

I've been watching C-Span, and even our slow-to-get-it members of Congress are finally realizing just how serious this is.

Time to not buy so much from foriegn companies.

Walmart is one of the worst offenders on this front.

$6 trillion trade deficit, where did you get that number?

When it comes to a product that is produced nearly identically both overseas and here, I think it is not a bad idea to pay a little more for a U.S.-made product. But when it comes to cars, where the product itself is not the same, not buying American is not wrong; it is in fact, American, as we are free to choose. You can blame our government for not doing a great job balancing our trade, but you can't blame consumers or foreign automakers.

While the lion's share of the blame goes to the government for bungling trade agreements, consumers should also bear some of it.

As citizens, we bear some responsibility as well.

I say to hell with it!

Let them continue to buy imported $h! and run up the deficit.

I can't f*ckin' wait until this ignorant country falls flat on it's face. Maybe people like me can even get a few kicks in while it's down.

I can survive the bad times, can you?

When my dad bought his G6 this was the most important issue, that its made in America, he wanted a HHR but when he found out it was made in Mexico he wouldn't even test drive it. Our neighbor had his job outsourced, and my dad's was nearly at one point. I.M.O part of why Toyota seems so American is because people know they are made here, so to them it still seems like they are buying American. Its hard to say whats more American a Chevy Aveo or a Toyota Camry.

Just for the record, if you buy used, the $ stays in the U.S. especially if you buy private party.

Just for the record, if you buy used, the $ stays in the U.S. especially if you buy private party.

Not totally true. At some point in time that car will need repairs. This is a HUGE part of our trade deficit with Japan.

When it comes down to it, GM employs more people in the US, so you are better off buying an Aveo from GM than a camry from toyota. Don't get me wrong, you are much better off getting the Cobalt vs the Aveo in the first place. But the question is, which of the two (Aveo vs camry) is the more evil.

Check out Level Field for more info.

My main beef; People buying foreign CRAP is affecting what I pay in taxes and how much money my kid's school has. I shouldn't suffer become so _sshole is so self centered that he or she won't think beyond their own needs.

People buying foreign CRAP is affecting what I pay in taxes and how much money my kid's school has. I shouldn't suffer become so _sshole is so self centered that he or she won't think beyond their own needs.

Why should some random person have to consider what you pay in taxes when they make a vehicle buying decision? You are not the only one being taxed. When I fill up my car at the gas station, I don't call the people who drive up in SUV's and trucks @ssholes because their excessive use of gas is affecting how much I pay for gas in my economy car.

Edited by siegen

Why should some random person have to consider what you pay in taxes when they make a vehicle buying decision? You are not the only one being taxed. When I fill up my car at the gas station, I don't call the people who drive up in SUV's and trucks @ssholes because their excessive use of gas is affecting how much I pay for gas in my economy car.

Any way you slice it, it is detrimental to the US every time someone buys a car from a foreign company. And each person who does, does so knowingly.

How about Lou Dobbs for president?

:thumbsup:

All I want is 1.) People to stop being ignorant and consider different brands equally, "not American is t3h suck", but it should go both ways (Japan is t3h suck).

2.) Our government actually take some responsibility and make trade fair. If Japan and China want to import stuff here by all means...but let us export our stuff freely to their countries as well. Otherwise f@#k off.

Ah, yes, there rears the ugly head of the argument of Freedom. Freedom of Choice. It's like a rallying cry, isn't it?

Where is my freedom, then? My POS made in China blender (less than 3 years old) broke and I searched for 2 f$#king months to find one NOT made in China. THEY DON'T EXIST. What about my rights NOT to buy something made in China or Japan?

AT WHAT POINT WILL WE WAKE UP AND REALIZE IT IS TOO LATE?

The U.S. dollar is crashing, because foreign companies are buying up YOUR assets. Some members on here gloat that GM's stock is worthless, that it's market valuation is less than what Toyota's profits were last year. Well, guess what? What are America's assets worth these days? Who is currently bailing out Citigroup? Oh, that's right: China and Dubai. Who currently holds a trillion dollars worth of U.S. treasury bills? The knee slapping, tear inducing truth is that as the U.S. dollar crashes, your assets get cheaper and cheaper to buy. Yet you guys want to drive around in SUVs, fueled by oil imported from these same countries that are f$#king you behind your back and your unassailable rights to blame Detroit for everything and drive a damned BMW in stop and go traffic on the freeway, because after all, it is imported and better than a CTS. :deadhorse:

Oh, the pundits will whine: didn't we hear this all before (in the late '70s when Arabs were buying up assets?) Yes, it has been heard before, but at least there were American (and Canadian jobs back then. I have been bitching about this for years. All we produce these days are paper assets. Well, f$#k Wallstreet and Baystreet - YOU CAN'T EAT PAPER.

So, a few fat-cats on Wallstreet make six figures, buy imported wine and BMWs, and convince us that it's all wonderful. Doesn't anyone see a tiny bit of conflict of interest here? Our generation wants 12% return on investments so we can buy a retirement home in Aspen, while Japanese consumers get NOTHING in their savings accounts so Sony and Toyota can buy up the world. Chinese workers work for $1 an hour so we can save $5 on Tupperware.

We in the West are getting everything we deserve, because we are too fat, too lazy and too selfish to help each other. We would rather man the hatches and f$#k our neighbors jobs because of Freedom of Choice.

Have a nice day! :smilewide:

Where is my freedom, then? My POS made in China blender (less than 3 years old) broke and I searched for 2 f$#king months to find one NOT made in China. THEY DON'T EXIST. What about my rights NOT to buy something made in China or Japan?

You have the right to start a blender company. :)

I agree that moves need to be made to ensure that trade is fair, though. If no US blender companies exist because another country just plain does it better and/or cheaper, and does so under a fair trade situation, then so be it. If it's not fair, then, well... that's not fair. lol

You have the right to start a blender company. :)

:idhitit:

Any way you slice it, it is detrimental to the US every time someone buys a car from a foreign company. And each person who does, does so knowingly.

I would hope they do so knowingly. But then there are the people who buy a Toyota thinking "wow, Toyota makes like 85% of their cars here, omg!". But that isn't so much a problem with our economy as it is with deceptive marketing.

There are the people who refuse to buy American due to bad experiences in the past. Just because GM is back on track now doesn't mean all those people are going to warm over right away. It takes time, and until then we can't expect consumers to buy a different vehicle other than what they want merely to support our workforce.

Our government needs to step up and get tougher on international trade. The problem is, it's going to drive the cost of goods up (at least in the short term), and with most people being short-sighted that isn't going to go over very well. So how does one fix the problem?

Edited by siegen

I would hope they do so knowingly. But then there are the people who buy a Toyota thinking "wow, Toyota makes like 85% of their cars here, omg!". But that isn't so much a problem with our economy as it is with deceptive marketing.

There are the people who refuse to buy American due to bad experiences in the past. Just because GM is back on track now doesn't mean all those people are going to warm over right away. It takes time, and until then we can't expect consumers to buy a different vehicle other than what they want merely to support our workforce.

Our government needs to step up and get tougher on international trade. The problem is, it's going to drive the cost of goods up (at least in the short term), and with most people being short-sighted that isn't going to go over very well. So how does one fix the problem?

Unfortunately, by feeling the pain some are feeling now.

The key is to connect that pain to the root causes.

I have always thought that it was wrong to buy things from a country that does not practice fair trade. So, morally, I could not buy a car from Japan nor China for example.

The damn government needs to fix this, they should never have let it happen in the first place.

Well, your government had better hurry up before someone buys up the White House. How do you think the U.S. will have any leverage in, say, another 5 - 10 years? The Iraq war debt is piling up. Your assets are cheaper to buy up by foreign powers and the U.S. economy is on track to not even be #1 in another decade or so.

It is the twin-pronged assault of our industrial base being shipped (literaly) overseas while American consumers are paradoxically financing their foreign purchases with foreign money.

Anybody wonder why worldwide shipping emissions were exempted from the Kyoto Accord? I wonder who pushed for that? :scratchchin:

The problem has become deadly serious, so of course the politicians are just now taking notice.

Always late to the party. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry.. but whining just makes me want to go out and buy a foreign car even more.

Whether you like it or not, freedom includes the right to buy what you please. If you want someone to blame, blame our politicians, not the buying public. Unless, that is, you're another nutjob whose words are starting to resemble Hitler's. Do you want freedom? Or do you just want people to do what you think they should do because it somehow adversely affects you? Now stop with the f@#king bull$h!.

Edited by blackviper8891

I'm sorry.. but whining just makes me want to go out and buy a foreign car even more.

BV, this is not whining. You simply don't understand the gravity of the situation at this point.

It goes well beyond cars.

Essentially, our own foolishness (read the politicians not doing their jobs) is allowing our country to literally be bought out from under us.

BV, this is not whining. You simply don't understand the gravity of the situation at this point.

It goes well beyond cars.

Essentially, our own foolishness (read the politicians not doing their jobs) is allowing our country to literally be bought out from under us.

See my edit.

If you guys want to get rid of freedom... Atleast admit it.

:rolleyes:

See my edit.

:rolleyes:

You assume we have freedom. We are being told by Wallstreet what is good for us. While Wallstreet is busy making paper, Asia is using that paper against us. In the headlines up here this week is the fact that BCE (formerly Bell Canada), which was 'sold' in a leveraged by-out by the teacher's union up here, may not be such a good deal for the union after all. The delicious irony is that all the analysts, lawyers and advisors on this 'buyout' have made their money. The stock has dropped, Citigroup (which has real problems of its own now) is backing out. But what would the point of the buy out have been? Who would have benefited? Would consumers get cheaper phone rates? Would more telephones be produced in North America? No. A bunch of fat-cats duking it out on the boardroom floor.

Your sad analogy about Hitler right back at you. The one thing about democracy that sucks is that while our politicians (like Chamerlain in 1938) are wringing their hands or arguing about what to order for dinner, other nations move in unison. Or are you forgetting that China is not a free country? Or are you assuming that the real power in Japan is with the fractured Parliamentary process and not with the Civil Service, in the form of MITI, that directs all foreign investments and business?

Yes, our politicians are the main reason to blame, but also the insidious rot and greed that has seeped into our corporations over the past couple decades.

ULTIMATELY, WE ARE THE ONES RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR GOVERNMENT'S ACTIONS. EITHER WE DO NOTHING OR SHOOT OUR MOUTHES OFF WITH HALF-BAKED IDEAS BECAUSE WE ONCE PICKED UP A COPY OF USA TODAY.

See my edit.

BV, C'mon, you know me better than that!

Personal freedom is more important to me than anything else.

I never suggested that anyone should take away the freedom to buy a foreign car.

But I went back and read your edit, and trust me, you have no idea what this is about.

See, we as a country, are losing our economic power not only to adversaries, but to outright enemies.

Our major finacial institutions, both banks and investment firms, are being bought by venture capital from the middle-east. At the same time, our government is borrowing billions from China. That money comes from our willingness to save a buck by buying boatloads of suspect products from them. And $450 billion worth of oil from the middle east, while we fight a war financed by our borrowing.

So, this dispute is far more serious than Japan's protectionism.

I hope you get what I'm saying because you will have to live with it longer than I will.

BV, C'mon, you know me better than that!

Personal freedom is more important to me than anything else.

I never suggested that anyone should take away the freedom to buy a foreign car.

But I went back and read your edit, and trust me, you have no idea what this is about.

See, we as a country, are losing our economic power not only to adversaries, but to outright enemies.

Our major finacial institutions, both banks and investment firms, are being bought by venture capital from the middle-east. At the same time, our government is borrowing billions from China. That money comes from our willingness to save a buck by buying boatloads of suspect products from them. And $450 billion worth of oil from the middle east, while we fight a war financed by our borrowing.

So, this dispute is far more serious than Japan's protectionism.

I hope you get what I'm saying because you will have to live with it longer than I will.

I wasn't speaking to you, merely in general.

Again, if you are going to lay the blame on anyone, blame the politicians. They allow these big corporations to thrive in their selfishness. Hell, I generally don't agree with FOG's assessment of the media, and they can be included with the politicians. However, You (generalized) can't possibly sit here and tell me we should do something because our leaders are a bunch of mindless, spineless, oblivious, greedy politicians who feed a corrupt media and then blame us when we use our freedom like we should. I know exactly what this is about, I'm merely taking issue with the sickening mindset of some. Hostility towards import owners is not going to help anyones cause. It doesn't tackle the issue at hand. Sure, it goes beyond cars, but that's not the hot topic of this thread, now is it?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0