Pontiac Mini Fighter?

Autoblog said the German Auto Press is reporting that Pontiac and Saturn may get a version of the Saab 9-1 hatch.

I have said a Mini Fighter would be a good addition to Pontiac if they have to have a FWD. I just hope there is no Saturn version or it is so different that it can not be compared.

They said Buick could get one too but I can't see that as it just does not fit their mission.

Edited by hyperv6

Not that plans can't change, but they were planning on giving Saturn the Corsa. How does it compare size-wise, and platform-wise to the 9-1?

I was under the impression that Alpha was more of a small car sized platform, not Mini-sized.

I agree that it's too big a step down in size to give something that small to Buick.

Stupid. The 9-1 is a version of the next Astra, therefore, by default Saturn is already getting one. If they mean versions of the Corsa, then that's not the 9-1 but a smaller, unnamed (what can they call it) model more like the A-Class or Lancia Ypsilon (a bit bigger than the mini).

The article actually comes from auto motor und sport.

"GM: Mini attack with Saab and CO.

GeneralMotors does not want to leave the success of a mini cars in future excluding BMW. Out well informed circles means it that GM works on two versions of a mini derivative.

Our draughtsman Mark Stehrenberger visualized the two versions as Saab below coming 9-1 and as Saturn.

To Marks the Stehrenberger Blog on Cardesign Campus

The Saab comes along in the typical Two box Design as 3-door with steep tail and upward swung C-column. At the front with stub hood the typical Saab grill with powerful air intakes prangt. The side view is dominated by pronounced wheel housings and a low strip window.

The tail: Classically with many sheet metal, narrow lights and centrically arranged exhaust final pipes. On the inside everything is trimmed on young. Into one another round instruments, technokratischhes Design, a little geschachtelte Smart Style.

The second possible mini model from the house GM carries the Saturn Badge and shows a removable part of roofs between B and C-column as

with the Chevrolet Nomad. The mini could develop on the Kappa or the larger Alpha platform with rear-wheel drive, then it from other sources, in addition, the Logos of the GM marks Pontiac or Buick mean to carry."

No thanks.

+1

They need it for volume sorry.

Who says an Alpha car would not sell as well or better? BMW sells tons of 3er's. Probably more than Pontiac sells G6s to retail customers. Obviously Alpha could be high volume if the price is kept in check and the vehicle is executed properly. Who doesn't want a 3er for $24k-35k?

They need it for volume sorry.

I'd like for Pontiac to avoid another generation of Chevrolet-built manure wagons, if that's alright.

Oh, and Northie already said it, who says the Alpha couldn't sell in a healthy quantity if it's appropriately priced and well executed? You're gonna have to think of a better reason other than "it's rear-wheel drive."

Does that mean Alpha is dead? :duck:

No this just means a small FWD to fill out the line up.

I still expect the Alpha if approved would still replace the G6.

This does not me Pontiac will be a FWD company just they may offer 1 FWD. I find no sin in one car as long as it is sporting and fills out the Pontiac line.

Think of this as a Vibe G5 replacment.

That is if this is true.