Fly the toyota skies?

DBeaSSt

Next thing you'll know...

Toyota will start its own Airline company building their own Airport terminals at airports across the world which will have the most convenient security process. They'll provide discounted Scion, Toyota, & Lexus rentals with the purchase of an airline ticket.

Millions will flock to pay a premium price for a Toyota Air plane ticket and stand in line at exclusive (crowded) security checks for the Toyota Treatment leaving the rest of the airline industry to collapse upon itself as the Unions fight to keep jobs in a declining market... of course none of Toyota Air's employees will be part of a union.

Toyota is following the footsteps of old GM. Soon they will get caught up with these side enterprises and forget the core business. First the quality glitches, then the Tundra plant/rebate blunder, now they're getting into the aircraft industry. They learned absolutely nothing from the past...history does indeed repeat itself.

I will not get on any plane they had a hand in building.

Really? If MITI has a hand in this, you won't have a choice in 20 years. Try NOT buying a Japanese television today.

Hmmm...not sure what I think of this. My initial reaction is that given what's been going on lately for Toyota, they could take some time to solidify their base in automotive before moving on. I think they're going to find that getting to the top was easier than it's going to be to stay there. To me they seem very vulnerable in a lot of areas.

On the other hand, this could be very smart. A great way to diversify. You could make the argument that the automotive industry in the world is becoming mature and diversifying into other travel sectors is a way to protect yourself. If you think about it, the airline industry has been struggling for a long time and people are just now starting to fly again and you could make the argument that they're due to make up on some of the growth they've missed out on in the post-911 era.

On a side note, I've thought that GM could find areas to diversify into. Wouldn't it be great to have a Hummer 4-wheeler?

toyojet.jpg

:rotflmao:

the "all your base" on the side is absolutely brilliant!

in other news... im with Camino on this one... no way am i flying toyota and if in 20 years all the jets are toyotas, i will simply plan more time for my vacations and find other ways to get there

Hmmm...not sure what I think of this. My initial reaction is that given what's been going on lately for Toyota, they could take some time to solidify their base in automotive before moving on. I think they're going to find that getting to the top was easier than it's going to be to stay there. To me they seem very vulnerable in a lot of areas.

On the other hand, this could be very smart. A great way to diversify. You could make the argument that the automotive industry in the world is becoming mature and diversifying into other travel sectors is a way to protect yourself. If you think about it, the airline industry has been struggling for a long time and people are just now starting to fly again and you could make the argument that they're due to make up on some of the growth they've missed out on in the post-911 era.

On a side note, I've thought that GM could find areas to diversify into. Wouldn't it be great to have a Hummer 4-wheeler?

GM, Ford and Chrysler already tried that. Frigidaire. Chrysler Marine (now Force, through Brunswick). Airtemp. Chrysler used to build missles and tanks. GM owned Hughes and built locomotives. I think it is hard to stay focused on what you are good at, if you are off buying up other companies.