Tidbit

I have a friend who had surgery on his shoulder recently. He won't be able to work for 8 weeks while he recuperates. This week, he's supposed to do as little as possible, so I got an idear to get him some reading material to help him pass the time.

He's pretty heavy into sport compact cars. Real hot ones, not 25hp Type-R sticker hot, but turbo AWD hot. We have a little back-and-forth at times between the Corvette and the sport compacts.

Anyway, I stopped at the VW dealership seeking a brochure on the R32, telling the attendant my story of a friend with nothing to do but recuperate. They were very nice, but told me no brochure was available for the R32. They gave me a VW Motorsports calendar and wished me well.

Next, I stopped at the Mitsubishi dealership. The young lady salesperson was charmed by my story, and presented me with an Evo X brochure, telling me I am a good friend. Then she offered me a balloon to take to him. I politely declined the balloon as over-the-top, thanked her and walked next door to the Subaru store. Once again, with my story, the salesguy went in the back and came out with WRX and STi brochures, telling me the STi brochure was very rare, and could be successfully put up on Ebay, if my friend were so inclined.

Next, I went over to the local Chevrolet dealership. My plan was to give him the Mitsu and Subie brochures, then sneak a Corvette brochure in at the bottom of the stack to make him laugh (and hopefully educate him a bit). I went in with my story, requested the brochure, and two salesguys chimed in together as their vulture-like grins fell. "Oh, I don't think so. Those brochures cost the dealership $75 apiece. We don't give those out frivolously. You can have any other brochure we have. How about on a truck or something? Sorry."

I was like "yes, I'm sure", walked out and took off in my Sierra. What a bunch of assholes, I mean really.

So, I guess I will call my friend tomorrow to tell him I have something for him. The impact of my plan has been blunted by those killjoys at the Chevy store, but I'm sure he'll enjoy what I was able to get, at least.

The Corvette brochures here in Canada are just like the other Chevrolet, Pontiac, and Buick brochures that are just freely and openly on display... For 75$ it had better be a damn good brochure.

The Canadian One, if you want to E-Mail it to your friend...

https://gm.ca/media/vehicles/current/chevro...Brochure_EN.pdf

The Chevy dealer I went to is my former employer (the salesguys are different from then), and my friend is still an employee there. I did not want to mention that last bit of info to them. I just think it's a shame.

Thanks for the offer, Kaycee, I appreciate it. But I guess I'll just give him what I was able to get. Thanks for the tips, all.

"NEW GM Headquarters" in Zurich? Oh no, Borger, I hope you don't mean "WORLD" headquarters. And if you're sick, I can offer sympathy, but I can't bring you chicken soup, the truck doesn't have pontoon tires. However, I can whip you up some throat yogurt.

The real Corvette brochure (the thick, glossy book) does cost the dealership $$ and many dealerships I know only get a box or two, so it is true that getting one of those if you are not a real Corvette customer is hard to do. I do believe that they should have the one-pagers that they hand out to the general public. The real Corvette ones (I have many covering the 90's and early 2000s) are about 50 pages long, have a cover/envelope and are made from really nice paper with great photography. While it seems like the dealer treated you like an ass, what he was saying was true. These aren't your basic dealer brochures.

The real Corvette brochure (the thick, glossy book) does cost the dealership $$ and many dealerships I know only get a box or two, so it is true that getting one of those if you are not a real Corvette customer is hard to do. I do believe that they should have the one-pagers that they hand out to the general public. The real Corvette ones (I have many covering the 90's and early 2000s) are about 50 pages long, have a cover/envelope and are made from really nice paper with great photography. While it seems like the dealer treated you like an ass, what he was saying was true. These aren't your basic dealer brochures.

What he said. There is a normal Corvette brochure, too. But just so that you know, GM does not pay for these. They used to, but now the dealer gets to pay for them. There has been a lot of downloading of costs from GM to the dealers over the past couple years. Whenever dealers look at tightening their budgets, the brochures are one of the easiest places to cut back. I've had many students come in doing projects and ask for one of each - for Chevrolet that is something on the order of 15+ brochures per kid. And we aren't talking 15 cents apiece, either.

Even GM does not hand out brochures at the auto shows any more - and they have a little more money than the average dealer.

On ebay, they are $16.95-29.99...long way from $75...

The Chevy dealer I went to is my former employer (the salesguys are different from then), and my friend is still an employee there. I did not want to mention that last bit of info to them. I just think it's a shame.

Thanks for the offer, Kaycee, I appreciate it. But I guess I'll just give him what I was able to get. Thanks for the tips, all.

"NEW GM Headquarters" in Zurich? Oh no, Borger, I hope you don't mean "WORLD" headquarters. And if you're sick, I can offer sympathy, but I can't bring you chicken soup, the truck doesn't have pontoon tires. However, I can whip you up some throat yogurt.

Ok 'blu. I think it's good that you are trying to help out.

Who knows, maybe GM will make Zurich their world headquarters, since Detroit is in a perpetual decline...maybe GM will eventually abandon Michigan.

I was given an 07 and an 08 Corvette brochure by one of the salesmen of the dealership in McKenna (5 miles from my home). He told me to not let anyone see them as I left the dealership as he could get in trouble for it.