5.4 earthquake in southern Illinois

At around 5:45 a.m. this morning, before I had to head out to Lexington for my Dad's hernia surgery, I heard the windows and felt the floor shake quite vigorously.

that wasn't the earthquake.... :AH-HA_wink:

:rotflmao:

Edited by YellowJacket894

I went to bed early last night because I wasn't feeling well. When I first woke up this morning, I thought I was late for work. Then I looked at the clock ... 4:51 AM. Dangblasted, I thought ... and went back to sleep.

Then, when my alarm went off at 6 AM, the first thing I heard was: "Well, did you feel that earthquake this morning?" My "waking up" brain thought, 'What the hell are you talking about? How could we feel a quake in California?' Then I thought ... oh no ... hope it wasn't a bad one. Then the news guy said, "You might not have, but it WAS centered in southern IL." It was then that I realized I probably was awakened by the earthquake, even though it took me a few minutes to actually wake up ... lol.

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Welcome me to stay overnight" ... Ingrim Hill ... 'Will I Ever Make It Home?'

The great New Madrid Earthquake was actually 3 earthquakes. The first was was on December 7, 1811. The second in January (I think the 14th) in 1812, and the third was in Febuary (7th I think) of 1812. Each quake measured over 8.0 and during that three month period the area was constantly in motion. The Land between the Lakes in Kentucky was formed during the time, and the quakes during this period drastically changed the course of the Mississippi River.

The earthquakes that hit the other day were on the Wabash Fault, which is a northern extension of the New Madrid system. The New Madrid fault is a reelfoot rift fault where two rocks and going into the earth. The land in that area is sinking with each earthquake. If it was not for the deep soil, the area would be similar to the rift valley in eastern Africa.