No camera phones allowed! GM plant electrician fired for Camaro pics

I knew they were hunting this guy! How dumb do you have to be?

Whenever you walk into an automaker's factory or engineering facility, there are signs prominently displayed letting everyone know that cameras and camera phones are prohibited. Unfortunately for an electrician at the General Motors Assembly plant in Oshawa, Ontario where the Camaro is due to begin production late this year he ignored the warning. Worse yet, he took some shots inside the body shop where pilot production units were making their way down the line and then showed them to his kids. The youngsters evidently extracted said photos and shared them with the world.

The electrician with 28 years of seniority has apparently now learned that those signs were not an empty threat. Even though there is nothing particularly secret about how car bodies are welded together or about how the new Camaro looks, GM and other manufacturers are serious about those policies. This employee who apparently just wanted show off a bit for his kids is now unemployed. Was it worth it? If you're going to whip out the camera phone, you might want to be a little more discreet about how you share the pics.

Link: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/01/no-came...red-for-camaro/

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

As they should be.

It sucks that the guy got fired, but he should not have done that.

Yes, he should not have. I'm on the Company's side in this. There is no equivocation in their policies.

Knowing the Union as I do, I believe there'll be an accommodation done quietly a year or so down the road. A year in which this man's guts will be as water.

Yes, he should not have. I'm on the Company's side in this. There is no equivocation in their policies.

Knowing the Union as I do, I believe there'll be an accommodation done quietly a year or so down the road. A year in which this man's guts will be as water.

I honestly hope that happens and that the man can turn his situation round.

I feel bad for the guy. He wasn't showing anything top-secret that the public hasn't seen. He just wanted to show his kids. I don't think they should fire him I feel bad for the poor bastard becauase I enjoyed getting a look at the new Camaro. GM needs to get out pre-production photos already. *Dip-$h!s...*

Alright well the photos can't come soon enough.

Also, if you will notice, you might just see more than the Camaro ahead of schedule. :AH-HA_wink:

Camaro and "Cobalt" begin the list of possibles ... I wonder what could be up next? :scratchchin:

Edited by YellowJacket894

• 3 weeks later...
I feel bad for the guy. He wasn't showing anything top-secret that the public hasn't seen. He just wanted to show his kids. I don't think they should fire him I feel bad for the poor bastard becauase I enjoyed getting a look at the new Camaro. GM needs to get out pre-production photos already. *Dip-$h!s...*

I agree.

What is soooo astonishing in the photos he took, nothing new IMO at all. GM should be releasing photos themselves in any case.

He broke the rules and paid the price, but he did it for pics that are just as easy to obtain on the internet... not very smart.