Why it's not smart to be a hero....

Yeah, it was brave-but I ended up with more than I bargined for....

I was coming out of the local Kroger with dinner a few days ago....And saw a purse snatching in progress from a 80 year old lady. I decided to help, and was able to run him down and tackle at the knees.

I got the purse back, but failed to realize he had something else in his other hand:

A wooden cane (with a metal top)

While getting back up, he nailed me twice in the back, and then once more for good measure (I guess) once I fell to the ground). Lucky for me I fell on the purse, so once people noticed what happened, he just ran.

And they haven't caught him (I guessing they never will, either) :nono:

Problem is, I already have a bad back (injury back in college), so I was in serious pain.....it feels like somtehing broke ....

Got some stuff done at the hospital..waiting on the results.....

Hopefully my back will be able to heal.....or just working on my car will hurt....

Serious pain + working on cars = end of car hobby. :(

Hopefully everything will be okay....I really want a classic car soon...

dave, OMG. I hope you're ok soon... but... the dude had a cane? Are you sure it wasn't the old lady's husband, just putting her purse in the car?

that popped into my head too. sorry to hear about the injury.

dave, OMG. I hope you're ok soon... but... the dude had a cane? Are you sure it wasn't the old lady's husband, just putting her purse in the car?

Nope.

Remember that I live in MI, and everywhere is turning ghetto.....

Maybe he was a pimp....he did have nice clothes on... :scratchchin:

Actually, he was quite young.....

Thanks guys....and I would do it again, even if it happened again.

It was the right thing to do...

I would want someone to help my grandparents if they ever needed help....

I get the results of my back injury in a few days...I'll let everyone know what they say....

I am feeling better today, though. :)

For future reference, the next time you do such a thing, kick the guy repeatedly in the goodie bag...he won't get back up to attack you after that.

or a karate chop to the throat... inability to breath garners attention quickly hehe

• 3 weeks later...

OK, this reminds me of a story....

A guy I worked with at a grocery store did a similar thing, except he held the guy down until cops got there. He is a detective with the police dept now.

However, when he tackled the guy it wasnt a cane, they found a survival knife strapped to the guys leg....... his wooden leg.

Too bad you couldnt havve grabbed the cane. Smacked him a little with it. and a time or two right in the area. Stupid idiot.

OK, this reminds me of a story....

A guy I worked with at a grocery store did a similar thing, except he held the guy down until cops got there. He is a detective with the police dept now.

However, when he tackled the guy it wasnt a cane, they found a survival knife strapped to the guys leg....... his wooden leg.

Wooden leg? :confused0071:

Interesting...

I would have held him down too...if he had not wacked me..... :(

WoW! I hope you at least got a thank you out of that, from the lady and whoever else :blink:

Yeah, I did get a thanks...

She had a special ring in there that had been in her family for generations...and had just came back from getting it cleaned at the mall...

It would have broke her heart had she lost it.....