too little too late

while looking for a pic to post in another thread i stumbled upon this photo album on flikr... amazing and sad at teh same time. i will never be able to fathom how treasures such as these are left for the elements to reclaim.

wooded grave yard

but this reminds me of another site i used to frequent in school dreaming of what could be done if i had some of those

cars in barns

btw this guy has a collection of abandoned whatever too here

Edited by cletus8269

I've been on the carsinbarns site many times and it always amazes me how such a high number of the Mopar wing cars have fallen into the hands of retards and been completely neglected. I swear to God we'd all have one if they'd ever give them up!

I've been on the carsinbarns site many times and it always amazes me how such a high number of the Mopar wing cars have fallen into the hands of retards and been completely neglected. I swear to God we'd all have one if they'd ever give them up!

Seriously, it's disgusting how these douchebags won't part with them until the authorities pretty much yank them up for free. It's liek these people are weird packrat hoarders who feel having stuff built up like so muhc junk builds character or whatever.

I remember a house in Gardena that had that 69 GP I've been hungry for sitting up in his front yard, along wiht some other worthy iron...I asked and of course they said no. And of course a short time later, it was all taken away.

Eegads.

While painful to look at, it is also kinda cool. Some of the photography is awesome....

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I ain't ready for the junkyard yet" ... George Jones ... 'I Don't Need Your Rocking Chair'

Seriously, it's disgusting how these douchebags won't part with them until the authorities pretty much yank them up for free. It's like these people are weird packrat hoarders who feel having stuff built up like so much junk builds character or whatever.

More like worthless rednecks who went out and spent their wages from the local screen door factory on beat up muscle cars in the early 80's instead of buying diapers for the kids they had with their sisters, then let them sit out in the yard for twenty years, then went and mooched off of the public library's internet connection some time in the early 2000's and saw what restored ones go for at Barrett-Jackson. Now they will only take above top dollar in #1 restored condition for a car that's rotted up to the door handles because, as we have seen time and again, a wing car or any other rare muscle car that sank up to its rocker panels in the dirt is like the redneck version of a 401K in their minds. They're all holiding out for the day when somebody will pull up to their double-wide in a white limousine and hand them a big bag of money for the useless old pile of $h! and they'll be able to quit their job and live like kings for the rest of their days and finally be able to drink brand-name soda instead of the generic WalMart $h! and have all the NASCAR team jackets and Kenny Rogers collector plates they could ever want. Happens all the time. That or a town ordinance against unregistered vehicles gets passed and the cars get confiscated and shredded per order of the local authorities, as you said. Either one.

If people want to hoard cars, it is their unquestionable right to do so. If they never ever EVER want to let them go, then that's their unquestionable right as well. But would it kill them to take the extra thirty seconds to do so much as even throw a cover over the damn things?! $h!, look at Barney Pollard. I'd consider him to be the biggest car hoarder that ever lived and he's a personal hero of mine. The friggen guy bought every early automobile of any amount of significance he could get his hands on and greeted the federal government with a gun in his hand when they came banging on his door for the cars to be used for scrap during the Second World War. When he finally cut a deal with them to send one car a week to Ford Motor Company's River Rouge plant to be scrapped, he would only send Fords; after a few months, Ford and the government got the message and they left him alone. He had so much $h! that he used to drain the fluids out of the cars he'd bought and hang them vertically by steel cable looped over railroad rails that were laid across tall posts so he could cram as much as possible into his warehouses. He lost over a hundred cars when one of his warehouses caught fire and he still had over 1100 left! Talk about a nutcase! Think of any significant early automobile you know about: chances are it passed through his collection at one point. In some cases, the only example of a marque that is still around exists only because Barney Pollard bought it and stashed it seventy or more years ago. He did the hobby one of if not THE most incredible services of anybody to ever live. He hoarded relentlessly, sold seldomly, and, although he did so in a very unorthodox manner, stored his $h! properly. A toothless, mouth-breathing hick that lets more recent rarities turn to orange dust in the side yard because THESE HERE GOFER ALL KINDSA MONEY ON EBAY, Y'KNOW!, however, is doing the complete polar opposite. We need to find a way to make them pull their heads out of their asses and make them understand that they either need to $h! (restore or at least preserve) or get off the pot (sell) or else everybody loses in the long run. I don't know what kind of person could call themself a car guy if they have a significant or rare automobile in their yard in a terminal state of neglect and disrepair that initially made its way there in decent shape and in most cases under its own power. Talk about pissing down someone's back and telling them it's raining; I couldn't think of a bigger lie!

There is something so compelling about abandoned buildings, cars etc.

It's not just the object, but who worked there, who owned it, why was it abandoned, it was filled with life and now vacant and dead.

I want to know the whole history behind it. I don't know why but I find it so facinating.

One thing this DOES go to show, however, is that all difficulty and ownership by twerps aside, the iron is out there still available. Whether you wanted to resto, build a Pro Tourer, a lo-lo, convert to vegetable oil, or use for a movie, the game is not over.

Jesse Jackson said it best, keep hope alive.

There is something so compelling about abandoned buildings, cars etc.

It's not just the object, but who worked there, who owned it, why was it abandoned, it was filled with life and now vacant and dead.

I want to know the whole history behind it. I don't know why but I find it so facinating.

I'm with you on this, HE. Every single time I see an abandoned building or car, I immediately wonder about its history ... the families or persons that have owned it ... what it has seen ... what caused it to be abandoned, etc.....

Sadly, a lot more abandoned cars and buildings in the "outskirsts" and "backroads" of this area, anyway, are popping up....

where could i find some info on this barney pollard character XP? he sounds intriguing

Outside of certain circles, not many people new much at all about Barney Pollard and he's hardly written about at all. He's like an unsung hero of the hobby (part of the reason I think he's so rad), so here's the best advice I can give you if you want to learn more about him:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php

Here's a link to the Hokey-Ass Message Board. Join it. Send a personal message to a member named jimdillon or call him out in a thread of your choice; he's Barney Pollard's grandson and is a pretty friendly guy that doesn't mind talking about his grandfather in public or private. Here's an excerpt that confirms all this:

Barney Pollard was my grandfather and the collection of around 1200 cars was my playground as a kid. Know most of the cars, as I personally titled 700 of them.

It is a pretty fascinating story and my grandfather did work hard at keeping the government from destroying all of the cars. My grandfather started collecting in 1938 and kept them parked about his property where he parked his trucks. In flying recon missions around Detroit the government saw what my grandfather had as a treasure trove for materials. The government insisted he give up the cars for the war effort. My grandfather went to Washington in an attempt to make a deal with him. He bought tons of scrap (both steel and aluminum)that they had not discovered and the deal he made was to strip all of the tires and give them all of the scrap he had found and to give up one car a week that he had to deliver to the Ford Rouge plant. My grandfather and Henry Ford were not the best of friends (due to a couple of incidents but one story as he related to the Ford writer David Lewis) as my grandfather laid miles of roadbed for the railroad tracks at the rouge and Ford sent his associate Bennett to intimidate my grandfather into taking less. The problem is that my grandfather was the toughest man I have ever met and in some pretty colorful language I can only assume, he told Bennett to take a hike. Long story short my grandfather had many Fords in his collection and so he took over only Fords, one a week for a few weeks and then he stopped. Ford never turned him in as he figured my grandfather would only continue to bring Fords.

Then my grandfather decided he had better hide the cars from any more prying eyes so he sunk telephone poles into the ground and put 90 lb railroad rail from post to post and hung the cars from the rail with wire rope. Then he built walls around the buildings and so when you went in the buildings there were hundreds of cars hanging from their front bumpers. Crude but it saved a bunch of cars.

Growing up around those cars and all of the good times we had was a treat for a car nut such as myself.

From what I understand, Barney Pollard also spent his earlier years (back in the 'teens) working for Packard in their Experimental Department helping to build race cars! He was quite a guy.