Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The Random Car Thread

Variance

I liked the Prelude, all gens.

The Mark VIII is another illustration of the fact that they don't hold up as well as Cadillac in looks, durability, desirability as a used car... nothing. Last-gen Eldorados still look good, especially in TC trim. The Mark VIII is nothing more than a tarted-up Thunderbird, and now whenever I see one, it's a ragged-out hooptie sagging on its air springs.

I personally think the Mark VII was a better effort.

I know you domestic freaks may hate the styling, but the last gen prelude is one of the best 4 bangers to drive!

Heh... I'm not a domestic freak and I loved the styling of it. That's why I posted it. :P

Lumina Z34

Heh... And to think I almost had a Lumina sedan as my first car. My plans were to make it into a Z34 sedan. Would've been interesting, but I'm glad I got my GA now... even if it does have 80,000 more miles. :D

Me no like the last-gen Celica. I liked the first gen (mini Mustang) before big bumpers, and I liked the first Calty-designed car... was that second-gen? The first California-designed Celica? I remember actually being excited to see a Celica with the longer nose... which meant it was a Celica Supra, with the inline six.

Now I think Toyota is the Anti-Christ.
<_<

I love the Mark VIII's. A guy at one of my "jobs" had one, mint and kept that way. It was the brilliant soft green I like, Ford used in on everything back then, but this green had a gold flake in it. It really stood out in the sun. Like Blu said though I did see many just sit on the used lots and never sell. They were however, brown and a strrange purplish color. Im with Z on the LHS, the first Gen, my Uncle bought one new when they were still NYer's. Love em, but still have never drivin one. Was going to check them out when shopping last time but there was that LSS and ...........sold !

What kind of Lancia is that? Beta? Go with the rally treament; rallying rocks!

[post="36220"][/post]

Thats a 76 Scorpion (US) Monte Carlo (elsewhere) a pretty much underpowered, denutted smog engined car that my close friend has had for decades. Hes into Vettes and Hotrods now so its been sitting in garage for 15 years. I did some tree work around his house and its a done deal. Needs a complete. Small, easy - comparitively. Lots of potential.

Heres the group 5 GT turbo car and info, its much different - naturally
Posted Image
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.php?f...php&carnum=1104 Edited by razoredge

Personally, I really like Marks, especially VIIs and VIIIs. The pictures that Varience posted don't really do the car justice. If you get it in darker colors with the chrome trim, I think it's a pretty stunning vehicle.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And even better are the '84-'92 Mark VIIs.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by mustang84

Agreed, the Mk VII was a breakout from the gas crisis induced travesty that was the Mk VI. It was proof that a more responsibly-sized luxury car could have plenty of presence. Same as the '92 Eldorado. I just haven't seen a decently-kept Mk VIII in like forever.

In my opinion, Lincoln has always been too close to her lesser sisters to truly compete with Cadillac. Cadillac was always set apart more, CiMORON be damned.

The exception being the stunning '61 Continental, of course, and maybe a few others. But the original Zephyr even looked like a Ford.
Edited by ocnblu

Here's a Lincoln Mark VI...probably my least favorite of the Marks. They were made from 1980-1983 after the Mark V was downsized. It lost a lot of the character that the earlier Marks had.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Mark V (1978-1979)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Mark IV (1972-1977) - one of my favorites
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
'76 Cartier Edition
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by mustang84

Yup... the Mk IV was cool. In the 60's and 70's, some TV characters were known for their cars as much as anything else... I remember (barely) watching the show "Cannon". The main character always drove a Mk IV. I also like the Mk V.

Posted Image

[post="36335"][/post]

Ah yes, the Domestics greatest styling years :P . I didnt pay much attention back them because I couldnt, it hurt my eyes. Still I assumed the Mark would have been sporty. The 80/81 NYers were the same kind of "thing".

I remember when my Grandfather bought the 82 NYer it is the same car as we would remember being called Fifth Avenue but it was called a NYer in 82. I thought silently 'but why?'. Today I still have that car and love it :lol: When you sit down inside and the outside world goes away you forget all about the square styling. Naturally I prefer the NYer to Lincolns of the day.

Interesting car was the early 80's Imperials, I should hunt down a picture, at least they were unique, perhaps the last blade edged car.

No picture, but the ~1995 Maximas were so ahead of its time. I rode in one yesterday, and the VQ30 V6 was amazingly smooth and quiet. It had some intake modification, so at part throttle it was very refined (smoother and quieter than a 2006 GM 3500 V6, IMO), even at 4000 rpm, but at full-throttle, it made an aggressive, rumbly sound and then a shriek... almost sounded like a V8, which is pretty impressive for something with "just" 3 liters. It had 140K miles, by the way.