Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Insomnia sucks

Robert Hall

I wake up in the middle of the night, thinking about work stuff, and it has intensified since last week, with the dealership-wide pay reduction and our manager getting fired the same day. I guess that means my work is my life, and that's not a good way to live. I have to find a way to leave work when I leave work.

PCS:

Do you like your job at GM(E) better than your old position in North America?

You know that middle management job you had at Nabisco?

I've had insomnia since 1996.

Some tips in case you didn't know:

1) Make sure you don't go into your bedroom until you're ready to fall asleep.

2) If you can't sleep for more than an hour, get out of bed and leave your bedroom.

3) Watch caffeine... no caffeine after 2PM (some say not after noon).

4) Watch your fruit/sugar/caffeine intake in the evening. I used to eat fruit as a snack at night... high sugar fruit wakes me up.

5) Although I don't recommend this, a beer after you take your Ambien. It actually works.

6) Sex. Although three things happen after sex with me... I either crave food, want to have more sex, or want to go to sleep.

7) Writing notes like, "I stared at you while you were asleep," and leaving them visible when they wake up is hysterical to you and anyone else who isn't the recipient of the note and a great way to pass time.

8) I've been finding a little meditation and stretching a half hour before bed is helping me.

9) When my head is on work-mode, I shut my eyes and think the word "shhh" calmly every time I start thinking of a new work topic--it sounds completely insane, but it actually works for me sometimes.

10) Haven't done this since I was a teenager, but uh, a masterbatathon works. If you have access to sex, I recommend that over masturbation though. Sometimes insomnia and masturbation are bad combos. You start noticing you get more reps with one arm than you do another at the gym. Then your friends realize why. God, I don't miss being a teenage insomniac.

Uhm... I'm just going to expand on the first suggestion by Paolino (lol)

To continue with this thought, many recommend against using the bedroom for anything except sleep. The theory is to program your body to subconsciously recognize that it's time to shut down and sleep upon entering the bedroom.

To accomplish this, they primarily recommend:

- no TVs in the bedroom

- no radio listening

- no eating in the bedroom

- no talking on the phone or having long conversations in the bedroom

- no computer or laptop use in the bedroom

- no paperwork, projects, etc while laying in bed (leave work and bill paying in the office)

I've personally followed the above for several years and it works. Occasionally I have a night or two where I can't sleep because of external factors (like ocn's... sorry guy!) but for the most part, I'm able to go straight to sleep once in bed.

To continue with this thought, many recommend against using the bedroom for anything except sleep. The theory is to program your body to subconsciously recognize that it's time to shut down and sleep upon entering the bedroom.

- no TVs in the bedroom

- no radio listening

- no paperwork, projects, etc while laying in bed (leave work and bill paying in the office)

I've personally followed the above for several years and it works. Occasionally I have a night or two where I can't sleep because of external factors (like ocn's... sorry guy!) but for the most part, I'm able to go straight to sleep once in bed.

Yeah, I'm bad about all of those...I have a TV in the bedroom, and usually lie down and read for a couple hours before going to sleep, or surf the web while watching the Daily Show, or South Park reruns, or BBC News... normally, I never have a problem going to sleep within a 1/2 hour of taking my pills, but last night was difficult..finally went to sleep at about 4am after taking a swim and sitting on the bedroom patio and counting stars..

The tv works for me--I put on a random comedy and set the sleep timer. Listening to the light-heartedness of the comedy usually relaxes me. It has to be something I've seen enough that it won't make me really laugh, like Seinfeld, Friends, etc. If I outlast the sleep timer, I get out of bed.

I have no clue what your talking about, but then I don't think many do. :smilewide:

Spoken like a true GM employe in 2008.

And if you really are not aware of the cookie-co. executives

that helped to destroy many of my favorite things about GM

with their mismanagement in the 1990s then we really need

to call you out on your Shenanigans!

Spoken like a true GM employe in 2008.

And if you really are not aware of the cookie-co. executives

that helped to destroy many of my favorite things about GM

with their mismanagement in the 1990s then we really need

to call you out on your Shenanigans!

I don't eat cookies, it's low carb all the way for me! :AH-HA_wink:

You def. drink plenty of that "FWD-cookie-cutter-sedan-from-GM-E.U." Koolaid.

Sad but true.

... normally, I never have a problem going to sleep within a 1/2 hour of taking my pills, but last night was difficult..finally went to sleep at about 4am

Ambien = Godsend

I never used to have a problem sleeping. Never. From early May, though, I noticed I felt revved up and didn't fall asleep until 4 am or had a "split sleep" cycle for which the second cycle wanted to extend past my normal waking hour. I mentioned it to the doctor and got Ambien. Fifteen minutes...and it's like a general anesthetic....and you wake up feeling great and alert.

The idea is to remove the stressors. That's the best tactic, but not everyone has the ability to do that.

• 5 months later...

This blows. I fell asleep just fine, then at 2:55, I woke up. No reason, no car alarms going off, no being kneed in the groin my another person (happened once, pretty much the most awful thing ever) nothing, just up. I'm debating going back to bed for an hour until the alarm goes off. I could get an early start on my day, go jogging an hour earlier, then see if I can get some work done before I have to be out and about.

It's become a sad reality, I wake up in the middle of the night and spend the rest of the night tossing and turning, thinking about random things, usually work related.

Get something for it. It's no big deal. Co-pays are $5 or $10. And the end result is that you feel much better. I look forward to the near future when I may not take anything, but for now, it's a good thing...

It's become a sad reality, I wake up in the middle of the night and spend the rest of the night tossing and turning, thinking about random things, usually work related.

You need a hobby, son. :yes:

With all the crazy stuff at work, I DO NOT take work home with me. ( I used to)

I sleep much better at night.

Between my new hobby (learning everything about motor oil), and my baby boy, pretty much takes care of that..... :smilewide:

- no TVs in the bedroom

- no radio listening

A nice tequila or wine buzz always works for me......I have NO problem falling asleep (and am not hung over in the morning.)

My problem is waking up in the middle of the night, say 4-5am, and tossing and turning not able to fully fall back asleep....worrying about work and money and stuff.

I think I'll try the "leaving the bedroom" thing next time. Maybe lay on the couch for 1/2 hour or something.....

A friend of mine gave me a couple of Zanex's to try.......does anyone know how those work?

Aside from over-the-counter sleeping pills, I've never taken any kind of drugs, or anti-anxiety medicine, or anything. I guess I'm afraid if I took a Zanex at like 4am or so, I wouldn't wake up at 6:30-7am when I need to.....

Never been much of a sleeper - my brain doesn't seem to have an off switch.

Mostly, I can deal with it.

Sometimes though, the insomnia gets pretty bad. Sorry that I don't have any reliable solutions to offer. I actually like being awake all night now and then - I just don't much care for mornings.