Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Something that really pisses me off.

Intrepidation

Maybe it's just be, although I know it isn't, but I am getting sick and tried of more and more ads and packaging being in Spanish. At first it was English on top with smaller Spanish below it, then Spanish got bigger until it was the same size, and recently I've seen ads only in Spanish. That really Pisses me off.

The first example of this was a several months ago where there were small promotional ads in a store in the soda section that had to do with Pirate of the Caribbean and Coca Cola. There were 4 or 5 of these ads spread throughout the isle and every one of them was in Spanish.

Today while browsing Autoblog Sprint just showed a cell phone ad that was exclusively in Spanish.

But the worst offender is a big billboard on Route 110 for the US f@#king Navy exclusively in Spanish. That's disgusting.

Am I the only one on this site who feels this way? Why is it that every other group of people from around the world who have migrated to the USA over the years have adapted and learned English and for the most part of become legal, respectful citizens, with the exception of Mexicans people from DR and such?

It's so disrespectful to me and just a spit in the ye to this country...but we actually seem to condone it and DO NOTHING about it.

:angry:

Edited by Dodgefan

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So by advertising in only one language, Spanish no less, that will help broaden their message?

Not getting angry with moltar of course, it's just an issue that really infuriates me.

I hear you..it's kind of absurd...but that's the way it is... targeted advertising. I've seen Spanish language TV commercials here on local, English language stations! Spanish speakers are the fastest growing group in the US..

Dude, you live in Lawrence; it has the highest Hispanic population per capita ANYWHERE in ASSachusetts by far, what do you expect?

I totally agree with you about what you're saying, by the way, it's just I find it funny that you're acting surprised about it given where you live.

Here, I found a nice t-shirt for ya:

speakenglish.jpg

This is a topic of discussion among myself and a couple of my friends quite often and we share your feelings DF. It is a disgrace to this nation IMO. My family are Italian immigrants than came to this county in 1966 ( at least my father's side of the family) and what did they do? My grandparents who were grown adults with 3 children to raise, learned how to speak English, my grandfather going to night school while working during the day as a carpenter for Fordham University. Eventually moving to head carpenter by the time he retired in 1992. My grandmother worked her way up to supervisor at one of the Stella Doro cookie factories. My father who had never spoken a word of English was only 13 when they came here, and had to learn English while in school with all the 'normal' kids. My father grew up to open his own business, but always had a job and worked hard without standing on corners for these vans that come and pick you up to bring you to the next job. It sickens me to see what has become of this country in just about every facet, and this acceptance of illegal immigrants and such seriously needs ot be put to an end. Just recently 3 houses were built next door to where I live, and in each house a spanish family has moved in. One of these families is always in their backyard BLASTING Spanish music. This goes on from the afternoon hours till sometimes 2, 2;30 AM. My grandmother whom I live with and is now 78 years old and recently a breast cancer survivor cannot get any rest with this music blasting ( which you can hear from down the block) and yet their total lack of respect goes by without so much as a single police officer coming by and saying hey this is disturbing the peace. Before I go on with my rant which will probably last a lot longer than this paragraph I will stop myself. Things need to change, and now.

Dude, you live in Lawrence; it has the highest Hispanic population per capita ANYWHERE in ASSachusetts by far, what do you expect?

I totally agree with you about what you're saying, by the way, it's just I find it funny that you're acting surprised about it given where you live.

Here, I found a nice t-shirt for ya:

speakenglish.jpg

Well duh about Lawrence but it isn't just Lawrence or Lowell that I've seen it in, and it doesn't make it any more of an excuse. Learn so f@#king English!

This is a topic of discussion among myself and a couple of my friends quite often and we share your feelings DF. It is a disgrace to this nation IMO. My family are Italian immigrants than came to this county in 1966 ( at least my father's side of the family) and what did they do? My grandparents who were grown adults with 3 children to raise, learned how to speak English, my grandfather going to night school while working during the day as a carpenter for Fordham University. Eventually moving to head carpenter by the time he retired in 1992. My grandmother worked her way up to supervisor at one of the Stella Doro cookie factories. My father who had never spoken a word of English was only 13 when they came here, and had to learn English while in school with all the 'normal' kids. My father grew up to open his own business, but always had a job and worked hard without standing on corners for these vans that come and pick you up to bring you to the next job. It sickens me to see what has become of this country in just about every facet, and this acceptance of illegal immigrants and such seriously needs ot be put to an end. Just recently 3 houses were built next door to where I live, and in each house a spanish family has moved in. One of these families is always in their backyard BLASTING Spanish music. This goes on from the afternoon hours till sometimes 2, 2;30 AM. My grandmother whom I live with and is now 78 years old and recently a breast cancer survivor cannot get any rest with this music blasting ( which you can hear from down the block) and yet their total lack of respect goes by without so much as a single police officer coming by and saying hey this is disturbing the peace. Before I go on with my rant which will probably last a lot longer than this paragraph I will stop myself. Things need to change, and now.

:yes:

The music thing is another major thing that pisses me off around here, where as XP said, is mainly Spanish. They blast that crap for hours and into the night. I've heard it at 5 AM from the people who lived next door. Happily their house foreclosed and it's been much more quiet.

Edited by Dodgefan

I would be, my family didnt go around blasting Italian music, it has nothing to do with what nationality they are, this is America, our national language is English....learn to speak, enough of these bull$h! Spanish ads, instruction manuals and all this other bull$h!. Force them to learn the language like everyone else who came to this country at one point or another had to do. Again going back to my family, when they got a new appliance or something,they had to learn to read so they could understand what they had to do to make it work, or with a car's owners manual.

Edited by Delta Force79

Stop watching the Spanish channels DF! :smilewide:

On Cox cable here in Phoenix I get at least 5 Spanish channels... it is fun to channel surf through them sometimes, the telenovellas (soaps) often have hot curvy Latinas.. :)

Dude, try and at least spell 'America' correctly..

You also need to realize that Mexico is part of America!

Yes, as is Canada. North America. I think gmforlife meant the US which some commonly call America.

Yes, as is Canada. North America. I think gmforlife meant the US which some commonly call America.

I know... :AH-HA_wink:

By the way... there are parts of LA that are completely in foreign languages (besides Spanish), and I don't see anybody in a big fuss about that. I know first generation USA-ans (hehe) whose parents (from places other then Mexico or Central America) don't speak one word of English.

Why is it that every other group of people from around the world who have migrated to the USA over the years have adapted and learned English and for the most part of become legal, respectful citizens, with the exception of Mexicans people from DR and such?

"Every other group" usually took a couple generations for everyone to start speaking English and assimilate. This happens every time a new wave of immigrants comes to America, yet every time, people act like the new wave is a threat that America has never seen before.

Edited by Enzora

By the way... there are parts of LA that are completely in foreign languages (besides Spanish), and I don't see anybody in a big fuss about that. I know first generation USA-ans (hehe) whose parents (from places other then Mexico or Central America) don't speak one word of English.

I have a lot of friends that are Indian immigrants...many speak English (the Queen's English) better than many US-born Anglos that I've met... :)

My best friend who is Asian...his cousins and uncle recently immigrated here. They have been learning English since day one...the cousins can already speak it pretty fluently.

Excellent... come to East LA County, and I'll show you China.

This is the same argument that comes up when people comment on cars being "this and that" based on personal experience... There is always a counter-example.

As Enzora said... it usually takes a couple generations for a group/family to assimilate.

I think the problem is less that people are too lazy to learn a new language (though you could argue that depending on their circumstances, there are differences in people's abilities to learn the new language), and more that groups of immigrants are becoming so large that they just don't have to. Of course, the whole "freedom of speech" thing helps to ensure that signs/advertisements/etc. can be in foreign languages...

The elephant in the room is that the argument isn't really about English, but since we aren't 'allowed' to discuss it under any other pretext, English it is. In Toronto, English is the minority. There are entire neighborhoods without a single English sign. The U.S. is lucky, because eventually the English majority can push back. In Canada, we've always had 'two solitudes' (three, really - now the aboriginals are trying to hog in), which paralyses any rational discussion on what to do.

Even in my job, being unilingual is a handicap. People will walk up to us all the time and demand to speak to a [insert favorite ethnic group] speaking salesperson, which is as much to do with "I don't want to deal with you because you're white." Try doing that in a store. Demand to speak to someone who is 'english' and see where that gets you.

In defense of these immigrants (being as I live with one), it is a nightmare to learn a foreign language as an adult. I've weathered my BF's 6 1/2 years of learning the language and he is anything but lazy. He has taken numerous courses and I am an English major to help him! Ours is a frustrating language to learn - and that's coming from a culture that shares our alphabet. Good luck with Farsi or Mandarin! Also, try learning the language while driving a cab 12 hours a day and going home to 5 screaming brats.

Remember, you are learning more than just the language: you are learning the culture. Five years ago, the BF used 'f$#k' in nearly every sentence. Just like an 8 year old, I had to sit him down and expand his vocabulary of curses. Then I had to explain them. Then there are all the colloquialisms, idioms and clever slogans.

You don't know a language until you can a) joke in it and b) understand it's poetry.

this is America, our national language is English

FALSE FALSE FALSE!!

America has no official language, hence this debate even existing.

Question: when you go to New York or Chicago and go to Chinatown, does it piss you off that all the signs are in Chinese? Me? I love it...gives the places character.

I love K-Town. I can't read a damn thing, but it just adds a totally different flavor to the area.

Edited by Croc

Drive around Southern California. You will see billboards in Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Spanish and English. It's not the immigrants putting up these big signs! Its the rich white Americans trying to make a buck. So stop blaming the immigrants. How many immigrants do you know that can afford a billboard along interstate 5!?!?

FALSE FALSE FALSE!!

America has no official language, hence this debate even existing.

Question: when you go to New York or Chicago and go to Chinatown, does it piss you off that all the signs are in Chinese? Me? I love it...gives the places character.

I live in NYC, and our national language is English, plain and simple. China town and all the take out places scattered all over the country are one thing, they are exclusive to those set areas/ stores. When I drive down I-95 and I see a billboard in entirely Spanish without a single word of English there's a difference. When I get an automated phone recording when calling any major company today and I'm asked to continue in English press 1 that pisses me off. It's very rare that the other choice(s) is something more than Spanish. That's a fact. Everyone I've ever met in my entire 26 years on this planet that was born and raised here speaks English. They may speak other languages at home with family...but that English is still what they speak in public and understand it is the language of this country. My family still speaks Italian at home, but when they are in public they don't go around speaking Italian at the grocery stores to the clerks or asking for a manager because the coupons aren't in Italian.

Edited by Delta Force79

I live in NYC, and our national language is English, plain and simple. China town and all the take out places scattered all over the country are one thing, they are exclusive to those set areas/ stores. When I drive down I-95 and I see a billboard in entirely Spanish without a single word of English there's a difference. When I get an automated phone recording when calling any major company today and I'm asked to continue in English press 1 that pisses me off. It's very rare that the other choice(s) is something more than Spanish. That's a fact. Everyone I've ever met in my entire 26 years on this planet that was born and raised here speaks English. They may speak other languages at home with family...but that English is still what they speak in public and understand it is the language of this country. My family still speaks Italian at home, but when they are in public they don't go around speaking Italian at the grocery stores to the clerks or asking for a manager because the coupons aren't in Italian.

I'd hope so! The argument here is that immigrants/newcomers aren't. I'm pretty sure their children are.

And as stated... the foreigners aren't advertising in their respective languages, its the people companies that want to sell more of their product.

I was responding to the comment that English isnt our national language. Perhaps not officially but it's been the rule of thumb for quite some time...lol. It's more than just marketing, if that was purely the case why aren't any of the other major languages use din advertising? French, German, Italian, etc.

I was responding to the comment that English isnt our national language. Perhaps not officially but it's been the rule of thumb for quite some time...lol. It's more than just marketing, if that was purely the case why aren't any of the other major languages use din advertising? French, German, Italian, etc.

Because the French, German and Italian immigrants probably make up a fraction (if that) of the total number of immigrants from Asia and Spanish speaking American countries.

Okay, so why aren't there more Asian based advertisements based on your theory. The Asian advertising I see is pretty created by the Asian's living here, in places like China town etc. You won't find a sign in Japanese at a Walmart, bu tI can bet you'll find a Spanish one.

Edited by Delta Force79

Free Translation Dot Com is awesome, even if the translations suck.

Anyways, companies advertise in Spanish because people speak Spanish, its that simple. They want to reach as many people as possible, so they do it in the most efficient way. I remember riding the L in Chicago, you could look out the windows and all you could see was signs in Spanish. Why do you think Mexico City and other tourist areas in Mexico have English signs (and many English speakers)? Because they want American tourists and their money. Same reason American companies advertise in Spanish. Asking them to stop is just idiotic, because you're limiting who they can advertise their goods and services to.

Okay, so why aren't there more Asian based advertisements based on your theory.

What theory?

There is a 5 mile stretch of the a freeway in LA (60 going through the City of Industry and Hacienda Heights) that has ONLY Chinese (I believe) text. Because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. For living in Los Angeles and San Diego (so I take it we should translate these from Spanish too?) I see very few billboards in Spanish.

Okay, so why aren't there more Asian based advertisements based on your theory. The Asian advertising I see is pretty created by the Asian's living here, in places like China town etc. You won't find a sign in Japanese at a Walmart, bu tI can bet you'll find a Spanish one.

Its numbers. Go to a Wal-Mart in a predominantly Spanish speaking area, there are going to be Spanish signs. Same with a Wal-Mart in a heavily Asian area.

I don't speak Spanish, my friends don't speak Spanish, nor do a lot of people I know. You guys make me laugh, I know let me go back to school so I can learn Spanish and feel more at home now. Give me a break.

What's there to laugh about? Nobody is telling you to learn Spanish, simply that you have to accept the fact that it will be used around you.

Because you fail to see the problem is what I'm laughing about. If lets say a 1/4 of the US population immigrated to Mexico, and began to put up signs in English, began playing Metallica and other "American" music till all hours of the night, started advertising in English in the Newspapers and at stores, you don't think the Mexicans would be like WTF?

Its numbers. Go to a Wal-Mart in a predominantly Spanish speaking area, there are going to be Spanish signs. Same with a Wal-Mart in a heavily Asian area.

Yes..same with Target in the Phoenix area (where there are millions of Hispanics, probably 95% illegals from Mexico)...I saw it in some Denver-area Targets also (Aurora). Problem is, the economy depends on cheap labor from Mexico...got to have people for the yard service, the drive thru at Jack in the Box and McDonalds, maid services, etc...

Edited by moltar