Chrysler Sebring Sedan Purchase

jlgolden

Two weeks ago, a good friend of mine needed a new car...quickly. He's not "car" guy, so overall performance is not a huge issue. Style, comfort, features and price are the top issues. Additionally, used cars were not an option. After a positive experience with his old 2001 Corolla, along with his sister's good (current) ownership experience with a 2002 Corolla, Toyotas are held in high esteem. He was initially fixated on a 2009 Camry...but the price was just a bit north of his $18,000 budget. So we did lots of online searching for pics of the kinds of cars he needed to be looking at. We then drove by several dealers (late on a Friday night) so he could see cars in person...before deciding on which ones to go back and test drive Saturday morning. He frowned at the appearance of the Cobalt and G5. Plus, a bad experience with a 1996 Sunfire ruined his perception of Pontiac. So what did he like? The Hyundai Elantra got his attention, but not as much as the Saturn Astra coupe. So we drove one...all was looking good...the interior assembly & materials were above average...and employee pricing would put the "numbers" where they need to be. But uh-oh...where in the hell are the i-pod jack... or even the satellite radio option? The dealer had no "factory accessories" to fix this problem. They suggested aftermarket mods...but who wants to start cutting & splicing a bunch of aftermarket crap in a new car? No Sale. As a music nut, I agree that if I'm spending 2 hours per day in a car, I must have MY MUSIC. Keep looking. When he saw the Chrysler Sebring sedan, it was love at first sight. He really, really likes the body style, the strakes on the hood, the various creases, etc. And the interior quality is not what people have claimed...it's no Passat but its' far nicer than the interior of a new Corolla or Accord. It has a quiet ride, an i-pod jack, Sirius sat radio, and a great warranty. Brand new. Sticker price: $21,000. Sold for $18,400 + TTL.

Edited by jlgolden

Congrats to your friend. He let one miniscule detail ruin a perfectly good car purchase. You can easily add an ipod jack to your factory deck without the need for splicing. Ah well, hope the chrysler serves him well.

On a side note, I would also like a hit off the same bong as your friend. He must be getting some good stuff if he likes the sebring's materials better than the Accord.

On a side note, I would also like a hit off the same bong as your friend. He must be getting some good stuff if he likes the sebring's materials better than the Accord.

I haven't been in the new Sebring, but someone at work got a new Accord EX V6. That thing is SMOOOOOOTH and those materials are top-notch.

If it wasn't so expensive, I could easily be coaxed into an Accord Coupe EX V6.

Interior quality comparison: the dash top material in the Accord is hard plastic, with a cheap-looking sheen...whereas the Sebring has a rubberized textured dash top that looks (and feels) richer.

Interior quality comparison: the dash top material in the Accord is hard plastic, with a cheap-looking sheen...whereas the Sebring has a rubberized textured dash top that looks (and feels) richer.

I forgot to grope the dash when I was in her car.

Try an EX, the V6 is nice but Honda 4cyls are always smooth and have plenty of pep. If I were going to buy tomorrow, I'd get an EX in white with the stick.

I know I'd be happy with a 4-cylinder, but there are those few times where I want the coglioni (balls) of a V6. If I ended up going for a 4-cylinder car though, I'd highly consider a Malibu too.

Compared to your Century, the 190hp in a 4cyl Accord will feel like 300hp.

Yeah, but the problem is, I drive others' cars and they're just so much nicer... lol

My friend just got the 335i coupe, and I was foaming at the mouth after driving it. His last car was an S4 with a 6-speed, and again, had too much fun.

I know the 190hp would feel nice, but sometimes I want a little more. I know, I know, be practical.

Yeah, but the problem is, I drive others' cars and they're just so much nicer... lol

I hear you...I drove a buddy's new G37 coupe w/ 6spd manual a few months ago (didn't grope the dash), but my 195hp, 4500lb Jeep felt like a turd when I got back into it... but it's a paid for turd, so that's ok. I keep thinking wait a year or so, enjoy a few years w/o a car payment.

Edited by moltar

I hear you...I drove a buddy's new G37 coupe w/ 6spd manual a few months ago (didn't grope the dash), but my 195hp, 4500lb Jeep felt like a turd when I got back into it... but it's a paid for turd, so that's ok. I keep thinking wait a year or so, enjoy a few years w/o a car payment.

Yeah, see, I enjoy my paid-for turd too. No car payments, and DIRT CHEAP car insurance... people don't believe me when I tell them what I pay.

Plus, part of me wants to flip 200,000 on the odometer.

Yeah, see, I enjoy my paid-for turd too. No car payments, and DIRT CHEAP car insurance... people don't believe me when I tell them what I pay.

Plus, part of me wants to flip 200,000 on the odometer.

My car insurance is still about $850 a year for full coverage. I'm looking forward to seeing 100,000 on the odometer (have almost 94k now). My plan is that by the time I hit the 10th anniversary of having the Jeep (June 2010) to have a new daily driver, and then keep the Jeep as a winter car.

Pay on a new car for 5 years, use it as a daily driver payment free for another 5 years, then hopefully get 10 more years as a 2nd/3rd car.

Edited by moltar