Cruise Control

Leather wrapped steering wheel with redundant controls and bluetooth

CD with USB port and AUX input jack

Spare tire and wheel

Ashtray and lighter

Silver Moss with Ebony Sport Cloth

MSRP $17,500

GM Employee price $16,125

I hit up GM's vehicle locator service on the net yesterday during my lunch break at work, and lo and behold, there was a car just about exactly like what I've been pricing out on Edmunds ever since the '09 prices have been posted, located at Red Lion Chevrolet in Red Lion, PA, about 45 minutes away from me. It's so rare to find a manual transmission car with options, and without the spoiler. It intrigued me enough to make the trek out there to check it out.

It's been raining here mostly since last night, and it was pouring almost the whole way up there. Traffic was slow, and I had never been to this dealership before. After what seemed like a long ride, it finally appeared, a fairly small dealership owned by the large Apple Group (famous for their GM Performance Parts participation out of their York, PA store). Pulling onto the lot, I saw several '09 Cobalts and Aveos out on the front line. The one I went to see, however, was tucked up next to the showroom. They also had some nicely-optioned '09 Colorado pickups I noticed as I made a loop around the lot before parking. As soon as I hit the lot, I noticed the salesguys pressing their noses to the showroom glass, checking me out.

I approached the car and it was just as I imagined. A handsome, trim green baby with a dash of bling in the chrome grille, door handles and exhaust tip. The foglamps and extra trim pieces in the front bumper set off the front end of the Cobalt, imo. The salesguy came out in the heavy drizzle with an umbrella and handed me one to use. After our introductions, he went inside and grabbed the keys. We went for a drive.

The Ebony Sport Cloth interior looks good, especially with the bright silver dash and door trim to contrast. The shifter has a cool chrome knob. I fired up the Ecotec with VVT and 155 horses for this year. It runs smooth and quiet. The transmission has a nice heft to it, a notchiness that is mechanically pleasing for a FWD car, and much nicer feeling than the Focus I drove, which felt like a dishrag in comparison, I have to admit now. The radio has that crisp GM sound, very nice. The car feels smooth and rides quietly. The Ecotec has plenty of pep, making C&D's latest acceleration test figures very believable. The only aspect of the car that doesn't suit me are the wheelcovers, so I will try to find some aftermarket wheels for the 15" tires that are high quality, look good, and don't break the remaining bank.

We turned back onto the lot, parked, and the guy asked me how I liked the ride. I asked him to put some figures together for me. Long story short... I bought the car. They gave me a mere $12,000 for my beautiful Sierra (hence the "bath" in this thread title), but that was $2000 better than anyone else. With my downpayment, my payments on the Cobalt will be $80 less than the Sierra per month. That and lower insurance rates, plus the substantial savings in fuel (25/37 EPA ratings) should help me save a good bit of moolah. I am relieved and happy to have this worry mitigated.

While the Fit is a truly fun, nice little car, and the Focus would have been even more affordable than the Cobalt... I just could not betray our Old Girl, GM, in the end. Photos down in the Member's Rides section as soon as it quits raining and my camera batteries are charged up.

One last thing: this would have been a Pontiac G5 purchase IF the car was available without the spoiler.

Edited by ocnblu

Blu Boy,

Congrats for your new ride. Sorry to hear about your GMT900 not getting what you were expecting. Good luck with your new Sheeovorolet. Write more about how was your dealership experience, how much did you end up paying and what was the list. I am glad you did not get the tacky spoiler.

And as usual - good write up - a cliche.

What you didn't buy a Pontiac G5 with the unique Pontiac Styling cues? OMG, if only you had bought the Pontiac instead of the Chevy, your sale would have saved all of PONTIAC, now it's on it's way to the dustbin of History, all because of you blu!!!!!!!! :rotflmao:

So they gave you 12k for the truck, the question is how much did you owe on it?

Congrats on the car! Chevrolet, GM's world brand thanks you ever so much! :smilewide:

Actually, buying the G5 would have proved to GM that passing off Chevies with twin-kidney grilles as Pontiacs is a good idea. 'Blu did the right thing.

Congrats, Bill, and welcome to the family. I can't wait to see it. You'll have lots of fun miles with it. Wait until that Ecotec breaks in. You should crack 40mpg regularly.

I do have a question - how does the 2.2 feel with the extra 10hp, compared to your mom's '05?

Congrats, god job giving GM another new car sale. :)

Personally I think the GMC was waaay cooler but I'm

th last person in the world to lecture about keeping

a car long term... I change them up like laundry.

What you didn't buy a Pontiac G5 with the unique Pontiac Styling cues? OMG, if only you had bought the Pontiac instead of the Chevy, your sale would have saved all of PONTIAC, now it's on it's way to the dustbin of History, all because of you blu!!!!!!!! :rotflmao:

He gave a great reason... the rear spoiler is tacky and robbs MPGs.

Also the "grille" could only work worse if GM duct tapped it on, and

I prefer the Chevy's trademark tail lights to Pontiac's generic ones.

P.S. you really are a d!ckhead you know.

So they gave you 12k for the truck, the question is how much did you owe on it?

Who cares, his payments went DOWN with a reasonable down payment.

Congrats on the new car purchase there blu! I hope unlike me, you don't go into truck withdrawl after a month or so (I've been driving the AURA every day now for the last three months - the longest period I've driven a car since June of 2005 :wacko: ). I'm in such withdrawl that I've been cruising the used online websites almost weekly looking for a truck to buy :drool:

Anyway, the Cobalt sounds great and as you've already stated, you'll be benefiting from this car pretty much right away. Are you planning to attend Hershey this year? I'd like to check out the ride if we all meet up again.

And as a final farewell, here's the picture I've been admiring for over a year now of your beloved Sierra :wub: :

DriverSide.jpg

(I still remember the sweet sound of the V8 & the custom exhaust you added to it :lovey: )

May it serve its new owner well and I'm wishing you many happy and enjoyable motoring miles in the new Chevy!

DriverSide.jpg

(I still remember the sweet sound of the V8 & the custom exhaust you added to it :lovey: )

May it serve its new owner well and I'm wishing you many happy and enjoyable motoring miles in the new Chevy!

That was one good looking truck, if only it was a 4x4 I would have thought of actually flying one way to Pa and snatching it from Blu. :P

Thanks for the well wishes, everybody. small, my car had a list price of $17,500 and with the pricing promotion it was $16,125, that's what I paid. There was no pressure from the sales guy. The finance lady tried to sell me some fluff but I told her I didn't want any of it, and she immediately backed down. I have to go back tomorrow evening after work with the actual MONEY for my downpayment, all I gave them was my truck yesterday. My downpayment more than made up for the "negative equity" they figured I had in my truck. After a month and ZERO calls on my AutoTrader.com ad, finding the right car and the end of the employee pricing deal, I decided to go for it.

GMTG, aw man, that truck is a beauty. I'd be lying if I said I won't miss it at some point. But when you're on your own with no other income to fall back on, and things at work getting bad enough to warrant a company-wide pay cut, plus volatile fuel prices and the current state of everything, this was the thing to do, imo. Plus, that truck got me in too much trouble.

z, to be honest, I don't have an answer on your question about the new VVT 2.2L. I haven't really gotten on it much yet since it's just off the lot, and mom's car is an automatic. I'll have to drive her car back-to-back and let you know.

vonVee, don't worry, you're fine. Pontiac in Canada was always a different animal than down here. Now if you'll excuse me, I just got up and I need to go downstairs and turn on the lights in the garage for a minute or two. Just to see if it's real. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by ocnblu

Thanks for the well wishes, everybody.

GMTG, aw man, that truck is a beauty. I'd be lying if I said I won't miss it at some point. But when you're on your own with no other income to fall back on, and things at work getting bad enough to warrant a company-wide pay cut, plus volatile fuel prices and the current state of everything, this was the thing to do, imo. Plus, that truck got me in too much trouble.

You're welcome! :AH-HA_wink:

I completely understand where you're coming from blu. I may have that second income in my life, but the way things are going with my career (my future not known after June 30, 2009), that's what's stopping me in my tracks right now. I played around with some numbers myself on a leftover 2008 Sierra SLE2 Extended Cab 4WD and it would cost me about a $100 bucks more per month than my AURA lease, but requires taking an 84-month loan (7 years!). I'd have the vehicle I want, but after June 30th will I still be able to afford it, especially for 7 years? I completely hate that the vehicle I really want is totally out of my grasp again (the future of gas prices, the unknown certainty of my career, and the financial mess we're in are putting those dreams on hold).

At least you knew that you'd find something that would satisfy you on today's market. If the Canyon had a roomier crew cab (ever sit in the back seat?), some options added to it (like iPod/AUX jack, remote start, and an interior that isn't designed by Fisher Price), I could probably be happy with that. I like the interior of the Hummer H3 and H3T, but they approach Sierra pricing territory and I'd rather have the Sierra. I love the G8, but know I'd not be 100% happy because it's a car and not a truck. The Torrent & VUE are nice, same with the Acadia and OUTLOOK, but again I'd still not be 100% happy with my purchase. Maybe I'll buy a moped until the future gets brighter again!!! :mind-blowing:

Welcome to the Cobalt family, ocn! 8)

I must say, I like the moss green....

Though I found it funny that while the 09 Balts got those ugly wheelcovers, the Balt's old ones were donated to the G5! :lol:

I like my Balt, expect for the seats.....they suck royally....They make my wife's Cav seats quite comfy in comparision....though I have a base model...

She gets an oil change this week to Mobil 1.....should add an extra bit of pep.......

Awesome!

Shame almost every '09 Cobalt I've seen also has those new, ugh, wheelcovers...but that's a quick change. Sounds like the perfect car otherwise, and that chrome package really makes a difference as I saw this weekend while Chevy dealer shopping. Everyone seems to like that new green, too!

Congrats, and welcome back to Chevy.

Well, it's officially mine. I took them my downpayment this evening in cash. They already have my Sierra on the front line of their used vehicles, prolly the last time I'll see it. I asked my salesguy for a cargo net and he stole me one out of another car. Nice to have to hold grocery bags and half-inflated Love Ewes from sliding around.

DIC says average MPG so far (after 250 mixed miles) is 30.2... a far cry from the 16.2 I was eking out of the Sierra.

This morning the saleskid from the Ford dealer called and said they finally had an offer for my truck on trade for the Focus I drove on Friday night... $13,800. I was pissed for a few minutes, but it wore off.

Hey dave, I was looking closely at the '09 G5 wheelcover because I thought the same thing... but I don't think they're EXACTLY the old Cobalt covers.

Edited by ocnblu

Well, it's officially mine. I took them my downpayment this evening in cash. They already have my Sierra on the front line of their used vehicles, prolly the last time I'll see it. I asked my salesguy for a cargo net and he stole me one out of another car. Nice to have to hold grocery bags and half-inflated Love Ewes from sliding around.

DIC says average MPG so far (after 250 mixed miles) is 30.2... a far cry from the 16.2 I was eking out of the Sierra.

This morning the saleskid from the Ford dealer called and said they finally had an offer for my truck on trade for the Focus I drove on Friday night... $13,800. I was pissed for a few minutes, but it wore off.

Hey dave, I was looking closely at the '09 G5 wheelcover because I thought the same thing... but I don't think they're EXACTLY the old Cobalt covers.

Don't be pissed - that's an old trick. At my old dealer we had a guy who would routinely do that: call people up and tell them he'd found a buyer for their trade at thousands higher than he had originally offered AFTER the customer told him they had already bought somewhere else. He used to laugh his ass off when he hung up. <_<

I was glad when they fired him.

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on the 09 Cobalt coupe. I too love the chrome exterior package as it adds some flair in a sea of blah mediocre looking modern small cars. I agree about the 09 wheel covers which remind me of the 00-05 base Impala 15" units. Why they would have chnaged over to that backwards look is beyond me. I always liked the 08 Cobalt 2LT 16" fascia covers that look like alloys best or the older 16" alloys found on some LT trim levels.