mustang84

Honda Slashes Ridgeline Production

146 posts in this topic

I thought the great thing about Hondas were that they sold without incentives? Guess not. ^_^ :CG_all: Edited by bowtie_dude

I love it. When Honda's don't sell, it's not because nobody wants them.....it's because the Big 3 had incentives. It's great that this Japanese company blames us (Americans) for their problems selling their Japanese branded vehicles in our country.

Honda should have never gotten into this trucking business. They should have stayed with what they were doing best 10 years ago. 4 Cylinder Civics and Accords, and nice sports cars, not this.

Wow, you mean honda & Track, toyota Consumer, & Foreign Trend were wrong in saying the ridgeline is the best thing since slice bread?

Funny, once they reported what CEO Takeo Fukui thinks is the problem, incentives, the word just keeps popping up in every one of the last 8 paragraphs but the final one. "BaaAAAaaa, BaaAAAaaa!" Says AutoWeek.

Honda should have never gotten into this trucking business.  They should have stayed with what they were doing best 10 years ago.  4 Cylinder Civics and Accords, and nice sports cars, not this.

[post="37533"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Ridgline outsold the Avalanche last month. Almost 5,000 units sold versus 2,400.

Yup, I would say that is cause for gloom and doom over at Honda. Honda is just adjusting their product mix to control their variable cost. I say that is smart.

The Ridgline outsold the Avalanche last month.  Almost 5,000 units sold versus 2,400.

Yup, I would say that is cause for gloom and doom over at Honda.  Honda is just adjusting their product mix to control their variable cost.  I say that is smart.

[post="37562"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Maybe because people know that the new Avalanche will be out in a few months? Why don't you compare the Ridgeline to all of GM's trucks, because some of the people that didn't buy an Avalanche, may have bought another GM truck. You can compare Honda's truck line to GM's.....that would be fair.

The problem with the RIDGELINE is that Honda wanted to build a car that rides like a truck without all of the positive attributes like high towing capacity, doing some serious off-roading etc. Did they really expect an ODYSSESY with a truck bed will light up the sales chart ? :lol:

Well, I think that just because you put a bed on a car and rise it up 12 inches you are not going to fool Americans into believeing that it is a truck. Come on.

Maybe because people know that the new Avalanche will be out in a few months?  Why don't you compare the Ridgeline to all of GM's trucks, because some of the people that didn't buy an Avalanche, may have bought another GM truck.  You can compare Honda's truck line to GM's.....that would be fair.

[post="37572"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Avalanche is not due to be release for another 12 months or so.

No, I think that is highly unlikely given Octobers sales results of the Silverado being down almost 37%. And Honda is a niche product like the Avalanche. My comparision is very fair.

The problem with the RIDGELINE is that Honda wanted to build a car that rides like a truck without all of the positive attributes like high towing capacity, doing some serious off-roading etc. Did they really expect an ODYSSESY with a truck bed will light up the sales chart ? :lol:

[post="37574"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I do not think anybody has read the article or understands what it says.

The Ridgline was never intended to cover the full pickup line of GM, F or DCX. Never. It was designed to add about 60,000 units a year to Honda's bottomline. And at current rates it is doing just that. And at a transaction price of close to $30k.

Given the markets current adversion towards trucks and suv's the Ridgline is holding strong in the market. And Honda is preparing to adjust their production accordingly if necessary.

Sorry folks the Ridgline is a success no matter if you like the vehicle or not or even understand the market they are going after.

Looking at October's sales, Honda was up 0.4%. Guess who was down almost 25%.

Honda should have never gotten into this trucking business.  They should have stayed with what they were doing best 10 years ago.  4 Cylinder Civics and Accords, and nice sports cars, not this.

[post="37533"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:withstupid:

I hope this thing dies a semi-quick death like the Edsel and Azteek. Everyone here knows how much I HATE this truck. :puke:

Someone's maths stinks: March to September sales = 7 months = 25,787, for an annualized rate of 44,206 - nowhere near 60,000. What's worse: that is for a model launch! If you dare to compare the Avalanche (and I don't believe for one second that the guys I see in here would be caught dead in a Ridgeline!), the Avalanche is already a few years old, and probably has saturated its "niche." The HHR is another niche vehicle that GM aimed high, adjusted downward and then had to ramp up production again. It doesn't matter to me whether the Ridgeline sells or not. I saw one downtown in the gay ghetto yesterday and it convinced me that they could put an H on a turd and sell it.

Honda Emblem aside, what would attract you to the Honda truck? Honda doesn't have a large history of building trucks in North America. It's gas mileage is very ordinary (only marginally better, if at all, in comparison to other trucks). It's bed is undersized, it's interior certainly isn't luxurious. It's exterior looks aren't drop-dead gotta-have gorgeous either. It's payload is relatively small, as is it's towing capacity. There are numerous competitors that outrank it in hp and torque. The Ridgeline is ordinary -- except for it's price. Now factor in the top-notch owner-loyalty in the pickup truck market. It's no great wonder on why the Ridgeline's sales are lackluster. The pickup truck market, in some ways, is a mirror-image of what the domestics face in the car market. The solution is to offer something innovative--like Honda did with it's magic seats on the 2nd-gen Odyssey -- or to offer a combination feature-set that is too hard to ignore. Take a look at the Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan. It's styling is relatively sharp, while it's powertrain isn't leading-the-segment, it isn't lackluster, and it's price is simply outstanding. I don't have any doubts that the car will be a success for Ford.

Someone's maths stinks:  March to September sales = 7 months = 25,787, for an annualized rate of 44,206 - nowhere near 60,000.
  What's worse: that is for a model launch!  If  you dare to compare the Avalanche (and I don't believe for one second that the guys I see in here would be caught dead in a Ridgeline!), the Avalanche is already a few years old, and probably has saturated its "niche."
  The HHR is another niche vehicle that GM aimed high, adjusted downward and then had to ramp up production again. 
  It doesn't matter to me whether the Ridgeline sells or not.  I saw one downtown in the gay ghetto yesterday and it convinced me that they could put an H on a turd and sell it.

[post="37619"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/...37556#post37556

Nice chart of increasing sales volume forgetting about the spike in Sept. resulting from the rise in gas. Production has been steady at 1,500 according to AN. y-t-d production is 56,000. Let me rephrase my statement, based upon an annualized selling rate using October sales, the Ridgline is projected to sell 60,000 vehicles in a 12 month period. Is that better math.

Least we not forget, GM originally planned to make a vehicle very similar to the Ridgline off of Lambda. I am sure they wish they had those sales right now as the market moves to unibody trucks/suvs for the average none commercial application.

Least we not forget, GM originally planned to make a vehicle very similar to the Ridgline off of Lambda.  I am sure they wish they had those sales right now as the market moves to unibody trucks/suvs for the average none commercial application.

[post="37634"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

what? GM thinking about doing something different then deciding not too? we've never heard of that before. :blink:

once again, someone else beats GM to the punch.

and let's not forget, the Ridgeline is not meant to go after all those die-hard truck fanatics, but it is another vehicle configuration off the Odyssey, MDX, Pilot platform. so 3 vehicles, 1 platform. nice move Honda.

one last thought. just imagine if Honda hadn't hired the Aztek styling crew to hit it with the ugly stick.

The Ridgline outsold the Avalanche last month.  Almost 5,000 units sold versus 2,400.

Yup, I would say that is cause for gloom and doom over at Honda.  Honda is just adjusting their product mix to control their variable cost.  I say that is smart.

[post="37562"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

one month of sales is irrelevant. gm's employee incentive prob pulled ahead a lot of sales.

do you have the avalanche full year sales chart for a more realistic comparison between the two? Edited by 97regalGS

one month of sales is irrelevant.  gm's employee incentive prob pulled ahead a lot of sales. 

do you have the avalanche full year sales chart for a more realistic comparison between the two?

[post="37673"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

According to Oct AN data - there is a 93 (15,000 vehicles) day supply of Avalanches at the dealers. With gas as high as it is, it will be impossible for the vehicle to achieve the highs of close to a 100k sales a year. Year to date the vehicle sold 55k.

There are people here bashing Honda for something they do not understand. Particularly when sales of the Honda are increasing and sales of the Chevy have been cut in half from its highs. Honda is adjusting to future demand. Were it not for the DPH uncertainty, the Silao plant should be closed for a few weeks. Edited by evok

I'm not ready to say the Ridgeline is a success or a failure. The fact of the matter is that some Honda loyalists have been waiting a long while for a Honda pickup truck; and you'll see an initial blip that results from that. As for gas mileage skewing numbers for/against either truck, that's a bunch of garbage as well - the gas mileage of each truck is comparable--and are nothing special (something Honda should be held accountable for-- the power of a V6, with the fuel consumption of a V8, LMFAO). A vehicles success or failure can hardly be judged in less-than-a-year's time. Look at Toyota's T100 and Tundra; Toyota's had a full decade of "full-size" pickup production and the have failed to gather any sales momentum at all. A decade plus of luke-warm sales and no increased market penetration and I think you can safely call the Tundra not much more than a niche offering in the pickup truck market. The Nissan Titan, regardless of it's numerous initial quality problems is more capable and has seemingly found an easier in-road into the market than the Tundra has at this point. Edited by cmattson

Wow, you mean honda & Track, toyota Consumer, & Foreign Trend were wrong in saying the ridgeline is the best thing since slice bread?

[post="37552"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

My sentiments exactly!!!!!

And, obviously, some here are still sold on this turd of a "truck"

Oh, and I must give props to BrewSwillis for an excellent post... Next we'll see the FAILURE of Honda to create a capable truck and the FAILURE of the media to fulfill their obligation and push it off on the public successfully justified by " apparently only a few americans are intelligent enough to understand BETTER imports judging by their inability to fill the obligation to buy from companies that fuel our economy so much" a.k.a "The Ridgeline was so advanced and ahead of it's time"

Oh, and funny Honda is barely meeting HALF of it's yearly sales target if the PUKEline is so damn nifty.

What's worse: that is for a model launch! If you dare to compare the Avalanche (and I don't believe for one second that the guys I see in here would be caught dead in a Ridgeline!), the Avalanche is already a few years old, and probably has saturated its "niche."

Another excellent point.

Avalanche is not due to be release for another 12 months or so.

No, I think that is highly unlikely given Octobers sales results of the Silverado being down almost 37%. And Honda is a niche product like the Avalanche. My comparision is very fair.

Ever think it had to do with the record setting sales of the last 3 summer months and the lack of inventory?