Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Details on new Buick LaCrosse emerge

VenSeattle

Details on new Buick LaCrosse emerge
New DI 3.0L V6 added

Posted Oct 30th 2008 10:58AM
Link to AutoBlog

Judging from spy pics we've seen of the upcoming 2010 Buick LaCrosse, General Motors may have a winner on its hands, even if it is getting delayed. If specs from GM Inside News are accurate, Buick's new midsize sedan will have significant new powertrains, too. The big news comes from an all-new 3.0L, direct-inject V6 engine based on the larger 3.6L VVT powerplant that the General uses now. The small-displacement V6 packs some serious punch at 250 hp, and will be mated to the automaker's new 6T70 six-speed transmission for improved efficiency. The new 3.0L engine is likely to achieve a significant fuel economy gain over the 3.6, with highway economy estimated at close to 30 mpg. The new LaCrosse will also feature the same 3.6L powerplant that underpins the Chevy Traverse, with direct injection and an estimated 290 hp.

Other details about the new LaCrosse include HID headlamps, a heads-up display, rear view camera and all-wheel-drive. We haven't received any details on the AWD system, but we're guessing it will be the same unit that currently drives all four wheels of the new Saab 9-3X. We're looking forward to getting more details on the Buick LaCrosse, and when we do, you'll be the first to know.

3.0 or 3.6?

Considering I already have 240hp and a heavier car, I doubt the 3.0 will feel under powered... However, I have no objection to a 290hp AWD LaCrosse either. I do like the dual exhaust on the 3.6l.

I'll need to check out packaging and pricing and weigh the pros & cons of each. I've got time. :)

I can see many makes that before used 3.0L V6's in their mid size offerings going back to that from todays 3.5L's. Using the latter as a performance opt makes since instead of the base V6. A higher geared 3.0L with DI and more power then before would be more frugal. I wonder if GM is working on AFM for the HFV6 line?

Unless it raises cost significantly, it makes sense to put this 3.0L DI into every application that current has the 3.6 non-DI. Malibu, G6, Aura, CTS.

It can't cost much more, and I agree all non DI 3.6's should be replaced with the new 3.0 liter. Lexus and BMW had 3.0 liter sixes making 245 and 250 hp respectively in 2006, it shouldn't be hard for GM to do it on 2010 models.

The details sound cool so far. It appears as though Buick may have one heck of a competitive premium midsize sedan on its hands. This might make up for GM's decision to retain the lame "LaCrosse" moniker for this car.

Edited by cire

This thing is just driving me crazy. Just come out already. It's like seeing something with your peripheral vision. I check this site everyday for the hope someone got a clean shot of it out, it's torture waiting and getting these teasers.

yeah.. at least it's faster than the 2 years we had to wait for the camaro.