Crappy weather

Its finally winter weather time. Its about 40 and windy after a rainy day. Tomorrows high is supposed to be 39. Going out anywhere is absolutely out of the question, cold weather puts a damper on just about everything. So we're coping the best way we know how, a fire going in the fireplace, some pizza and, soon enough, a viewing of Anchorman, because it remains the best movie ever made. Is there any better way to kick off 6 months of cabin fever?

That's how I like it.

My favorite is when it's snowing very heavy, the world stands still at night, you're inside, under a big blanket, some hot cocoa, a good movie, some loved ones, etc.

We tend to watch horror movies though--a night we're all stuck in brings on The Stand, or some other Steven King marathon.

Haven't seen Anchorman yet.

Winter is my favorite season hands down. I hate the heat, and snow just makes everything purdy (until it becomes that slushy crap). Unfortunately on Long Island we see mostly noreasters which are much more irritating than a heavy snowstorm. Nothing pretty comes out of a noreaster.

Actually starting to get crappy this evening, but today it was actualoly nice here in Columbus, Ohio.

Drove around with the top down, and took my son to school yesterday AM with the top down.

right now though, I am inside listening to the stereo and avoiding rain. Methinks November has come at last.

Chris

We've already had a couple light snows (although it melted away as soon as it hit the ground). I like winter until about mid-January when the temps start diving down into below zero digits and the winds pick up. December is usually pretty mild for us. January and February are the months we get the arctic blasts from the north.

I don't really mind the snow until later in the season when you're anticipating spring and it just won't stop. I'm not a fan of the slush-mush you get when the temps go above freezing and my black car gets nice and dirty.

Yeah, we're getting a wave of wet warmth ahead of what you guys are getting out west. It's supposed to be as warm as 64 today, with lots of rain... then plunge into windy 40's tomorrow, and remain in the 40's for highs all week.

I guess it's time to think about comfort food... homemade soups, rosbif, cheddar biscuits, etc. I guess the instinct is to fatten oneself up for protection from the cold.

Edited by ocnblu

Talk about perfect paper writing weather. It's holding 70 outside, but it's cloudy and windy and humid...oh, and it just started raining again. There's a tornado watch good until 7 PM, too.

Do I dare watch Brokeback Mountain? I bought it the day it went on sale on DVD, but never watched it after seeing it 4 times in the theater. If I do, I'll need plenty of kleenexes.
Talk about perfect paper writing weather. It's holding 70 outside, but it's cloudy and windy and humid...oh, and it just started raining again. There's a tornado watch good until 7 PM, too.

Yup!

Very strange weather here today.

Nice and sunny and only 80 today in Phoenix...the days are too short, though...daylight by 6:30 or so and dark by 6:00 PM... Speaking of Ohio weather, my sister said it was yucky in Dayton this week, her flight back last night was delayed in Charlotte for 2 hours, didn't get until almost 1 this morning, flying back to Columbus via Chicago tomorrow afternoon. I don't know how she does it. 75k FF miles so far this year. Will be back here for Thanksgiving, though we are thinking of going to Ohio for Xmas to visit our Mom and brother..can't get them to come out here.

I could move to Savannah, but not anywhere inland.

I had a job lined up in Savannah, but couldn't unload my house here in Ohio. Savannah is beautiful. Biggest problem is that there is almost no middle class there...everyone is either loaded or poor. Plus the hurricane thing doesn't do much for me.

But Savannah is a great place to be. I lived for over a year in Atlanta and moved back to Ohio, Atlanta was a bigger city than I wanted to live in.

But I liked the climate.

Chris

Nice and sunny and only 80 today in Phoenix...the days are too short, though...daylight by 6:30 or so and dark by 6:00 PM... Speaking of Ohio weather, my sister said it was yucky in Dayton this week, her flight back last night was delayed in Charlotte for 2 hours, didn't get until almost 1 this morning, flying back to Columbus via Chicago tomorrow afternoon. I don't know how she does it. 75k FF miles so far this year. Will be back here for Thanksgiving, though we are thinking of going to Ohio for Xmas to visit our Mom and brother..can't get them to come out here.

One of these days when your in the Buckeye state, I need to come up, buy you dinner, and lust over your Mustangs.

Chris

37 and blustery wind here <I'm back in the U.S. BTW>

Have the fireplace going and all the heavy curtains closed. My house sits on top of one of the tallest hills around and the back of the house faces due west with no tree cover. That side of the house is getting absolutely pummeled by the wind. Every once in a while I can feel the house shake from the wind... which is disturbing because it's a stone house.

Macon is a nice place to live, but it is HOT. It is in the center of the state, and it is lower in elevation than Atlanta..so it gets ungodly hot in the summer.

But yeah, it's scary to think of doing anything with the economy in such a funk.

Chris

37 and blustery wind here <I'm back in the U.S. BTW>

Have the fireplace going and all the heavy curtains closed. My house sits on top of one of the tallest hills around and the back of the house faces due west with no tree cover. That side of the house is getting absolutely pummeled by the wind. Every once in a while I can feel the house shake from the wind... which is disturbing because it's a stone house.

Sounds like you and the BF need to cuddle up on the couch with a good movie and a good bottle of wine.

Chris

I'd settle for a beach in Tahiti myself.

Chris

When I was on my job hunt in August, I had a head hunter contact me about a position in Maui...that could be interesting. I've lived in the Florida Keys, which are islands connected by bridges. Lousy beaches, though.. and humidity and hurricanes.

When I was on my job hunt in August, I had a head hunter contact me about a position in Maui...that could be interesting. I've lived in the Florida Keys, which are islands connected by bridges. Lousy beaches, though.. and humidity and hurricanes.

...and bikini's...South Florida has some amazingly beautiful females. I have a middle aged friend who looks no better than I do. He was married to a very unattractive midwestern lady. Once the divorce was final and he moved to Florida, he managed to get a girlfriend that was an "11"

Chris

I'd love to live in San Diego for a little while.

I've thought about San Diego also... I've gone to the beach there in the summer (Pacific Beach usually) for 10+ years now...have a couple friends there. I've thought a year in SD, Honolulu, or the SF Bay Area could be an interesting change of pace, no worse than a year in Phoenix I figure..

Edited by moltar

I have two good friends, John and Tim, and both of them have lived in San Diego. Wonderful place to live. Just learn Spanish and your all set.

Chris

San Diego rocks. But I still love the inherent crazy f@#ked-up-ness of Los Angeles better, though. Seriously...in LA there's ALWAYS something going on. Plus way more variety of ethnic culture/food. Aaaaand it's only a 2hr drive to SD, though I've been in the car with someone who made it in 45 going 125 on the 73 :ohyeah:

Edited by Croc

Ugh.

Four straight weekends of cloudy and coldish weather here. I'm already tired of it, especially since the weeks seem to be mostly sunny...while I'm at work, of course....arg.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...& now an uncle!

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I'm in a state of confusion, I hope things aren't what they seem" ... Travis Tritt ... 'Tell Me I Was Dreaming'

<- Hates winter, especially the cold temperatures and snow. :P

The only redeeming value is the beauty of freshly fallen snow... and driving on such freshly fallen snow. Otherwise, I'll be huddled up next to my electric heater.

Edited by blackviper8891

Just walked outside, my car windows are all frosted up.

Edit: Just went out to start it, surprisingly, it started up up just as quickly when its 28 outside as it did when it was warm in the mornings.

Edited by Satty

San Diego rocks. But I still love the inherent crazy f@#ked-up-ness of Los Angeles better, though. Seriously...in LA there's ALWAYS something going on. Plus way more variety of ethnic culture/food. Aaaaand it's only a 2hr drive to SD, though I've been in the car with someone who made it in 45 going 125 on the 73 :ohyeah:

So Cal, especially LA, is NOT the place to be right now...

Born in Chicago, lived down here for a decade, so I'm a Midwesterner through and through. Detroit is just one of those places that seems dreary even on the nicest days. I've been there a couple times, cant say its very inviting in the summer or the fall.

There are rural parts of Michigan that are just beuatiful, though. If I had my druthers, I'd be a yuper and move to the Upper Peninsula just to get away from the bulk of population that seems to be over-running everywhere else.

Chris

Actually I've lived in the midwest my whole life, and summer is quite nice here.

Chris

Ya..I esp. liked May and June, Sept and early October in Ohio. July and August can be hot 'n humid, though. Michigan was ok then also. IIRC, winters there (SE Michigan) were grayer than NE Ohio, with less snow, but just as damp...and some nasty ice storms. After jr. high and high school mostly in the Florida Keys, I moved back to Ohio---in college and grad school, I spent 6 winters and summers in the Akron/Cleveland area, 3 in Ann Arbor, Mi, and 2 summers in Chicago... interesting variety of weather those years, IIRC...then I moved West in June '97.

One of my favorite little weekend trips in Michigan was the time I drove all the way around the thumb...very pretty....also drove up to Charlevoix, Ste St Marie, went to Mackinac Island, drove around the upper peninsula. The summers of '94-96 were fun, amidst grad school and driving back and forth between Chicago and A2..

One place at the northern tip of the thum I liked was Port Austin...I recall eating in a restaurant called 'The Bank'.

Edited by moltar
So Cal, especially LA, is NOT the place to be right now...

Especially LA? Uhhhhh more like The Valley, OC, and Montecito. Or do you just mean the air quality? Hell, it was raining ash at Disneyland yesterday, and that's Anaheim.

...or were you referring to all the demonstrations? Those are fun, so many people have been protesting at them.

All I know is my little piece of LA is just fine. Woke up this morning and went to Philippe's for breakfast--first person on the 10 since Caltrans had just opened it after a late-night closure. Got there in literally 3 minutes. Yummy cinnamon french toast, two sunnyside-up eggs, two slices of bacon, corned beef hash, rye toast, and a large grapefruit juice, all for just slightly over $12. Yum!

Edited by Croc
Mmm...heat. Something very absent from the Mid-Atlantic today.

Not heat... FIRE, literally.

Especially LA? Uhhhhh more like The Valley, OC, and Montecito. Or do you just mean the air quality? Hell, it was raining ash at Disneyland yesterday, and that's Anaheim.

...or were you referring to all the demonstrations? Those are fun, so many people have been protesting at them.

The fires, and air quality. It was just easier for me to say LA, rather then list the fires... By the way, you forgot Brea and Carbon Canyon/Yorba Linda. Those two spewed a lot of crap around where I live.

Not heat... FIRE, literally.

The fires, and air quality. It was just easier for me to say LA, rather then list the fires... By the way, you forgot Brea and Carbon Canyon/Yorba Linda. Those two spewed a lot of crap around where I live.

I mentioned Orange County (OC).

The wildfires suck out here, and they happen every year. It really confuses me that so many people live in what to me seem like extremely obvious places for a wildfire. It also surprises me that year after year there is so much damage from the fires. After all the stories I've read where spared residents cite their turning on a Big Bird sprinkler as the reason they were spared, I'd have thought those would be required by law for developments.

I know if I decided to live on a hillside or in a canyon (never happening--fires AND mudslides? no thanks), I'd make sure an extensive irrigation system were installed on my property. Not to water my lawn (don't need/want a lawn) but to turn on to douse the hell out of my property in an emergency. It would be kinda tough for a house to burn if it's sopping wet.

Born in Chicago, lived down here for a decade, so I'm a Midwesterner through and through. Detroit is just one of those places that seems dreary even on the nicest days. I've been there a couple times, cant say its very inviting in the summer or the fall.

I remember Michigan summers being warm and relatively sunny......but lord were they humid!

We've been sunny and in the mid-to-upper 70's for the last few weeks here in Las Vegas......and looks to continue at least through the weekend.

All I know is my little piece of LA is just fine. Woke up this morning and went to Philippe's for breakfast--first person on the 10 since Caltrans had just opened it after a late-night closure. Got there in literally 3 minutes. Yummy cinnamon french toast, two sunnyside-up eggs, two slices of bacon, corned beef hash, rye toast, and a large grapefruit juice, all for just slightly over $12. Yum!

Yeah, but you are quite the slim and trim guy.....you can afford to sock away a breakfast like that....

:D

I remember Michigan summers being warm and relatively sunny......but lord were they humid!

We've been sunny and in the mid-to-upper 70's for the last few weeks here in Las Vegas......and looks to continue at least through the weekend.

Nice..highs still in the low '80s the last few weeks here in Phoenix, with a couple days in the '70s. Highs in the '70s should be the norm soon though.. No cloudy days.

R

O.K., I am jealous...

Chris

O.K., I am jealous...

Chris

LOL.....

Well, although the winters here aren't like a midwestern winter, they are far from paradise......it can get really breezy/windy here in the winter....and combined with highs in the 50's to mid 60's, far from ideal.....and lows at night can get down to 40....or even below....

Damn these deserts......hot in the summer.....cold in the winter.....lol

LOL.....

Well, although the winters here aren't like a midwestern winter, they are far from paradise......it can get really breezy/windy here in the winter....and combined with highs in the 50's to mid 60's, far from ideal.....and lows at night can get down to 40....or even below....

Damn these deserts......hot in the summer.....cold in the winter.....lol

Ya... this summer in Phoenix was considered 'mild' by the locals--only hit 115 once--no 118 or 122 as has happened in the past...still, almost 5 months of 100+ daily highs. It's nice now, perfect convertible/sunroof open weather. Looking forward to fireplace weather in December. The desert is a very strange place.

Yeah, but you are quite the slim and trim guy.....you can afford to sock away a breakfast like that....

:D

:lol:

But I didn't mention how I pulled a Paula Deen with the 6 pats of butter they gave me.

It's becoming a growing problem lately...all I can dream about is the incredible food coma I'll be in the evening of November 27th. Need to start dieting in preparation for that haha

Maybe we can form a Cheers and Gears Convoy to Florida to find Flybrian?

*raises eyebrow*

ROAD TRIP!

So, yes, I agree ... especially heading to Florida! Brrrr....I'm not ready for the cold or snow.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 cruise=Sept '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"The more things change the more they stay the same" ... Kenny Chesney ... 'Summertime'

:lol:

But I didn't mention how I pulled a Paula Deen with the 6 pats of butter they gave me.

It's becoming a growing problem lately...all I can dream about is the incredible food coma I'll be in the evening of November 27th. Need to start dieting in preparation for that haha

I'll admit to a severe fetish for pancakes and bacon......pancakes with multiple tubes of butter to accommodate them......

The desert is a very strange place.

.....it is....and I love it.....

A strange, yet beautiful place......

As environmentally wrong as it may be, I find a certain beauty in a place like Las Vegas (or Phoenix) where the stark desert is interrupted by such areas of lush greenery and flora (developed suburban areas)....when there shouldn't be any at all......lol......

To be in the stark nakedness of desert rock and gravel and 115-degree temps one day......and on the same day, up at 8.000 feet in forests surrounded by pine needles and evergreens...and temps a good 40 degrees cooler....within a 45-minute drive.....

It's all kinda f*cked up.....but really exotic in a wierd sort of way....

I'll admit to a severe fetish for pancakes and bacon......pancakes with multiple tubes of butter to accommodate them......

The butter was strictly reserved for the rye toast, completed with Knott's Berry Farm boisenberry jelly. Then after I ran out of toast, I just ate butter and jelly, mixed together. And pancakes? Eh, french toast for the win almost every time.

Love bacon, too; I need to try a gutter dog sometime soon--it's ridiculous I haven't yet after nearly 5 SC football seasons.

Ah, a nice, big weekend breakfast... nothing finer. Mix some dried blueberries into the pancake batter, then slather them with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter with Olive Oil and King Syrup. Of course served with crispy bacon. YUM. Sometimes, an egg over medium slipped between the pancakes is called for, as well.

That's a $6 meal at an expensive diner here.

Now I'm craving Cracker Barrel blueberry pancakes and there aren't any Cracker Barrels in Germany. Cracker Barrel needs to go global!

Mmmm....Cracker Barrel country ham w/ biscuits and gravy, with sausages on the side. Love that place. I think the nearest one here is way out in the East Valley burbs (Mesa I think)...will have to go some Saturday morning..early. The ones in Colorado often had a 45 min wait if you showed up after 8 am on a Sat/Sun.

That's a $6 meal at an expensive diner here.

I have a hard time believing that, considering Indianapolis is portion control hell, and there's no way that much food would go for so little in that hick town.

It was a LOT of food, so much so I didn't get hungry until midnight. The corned beef hash alone was a meal's worth of food.

God I love Philippe's. Does pretty damn well for a 100-year old place.

Another night of insomnia...where to go for this morning's breakfast? Philippe's again? Lucy's for a chorizo con huevo burrito? One of the 24/7 Korean places for cheap spicy K-town food? Decisions, decisions...

Edited by Croc
I have a hard time believing that, considering Indianapolis is portion control hell, and there's no way that much food would go for so little in that hick town.

It was a LOT of food, so much so I didn't get hungry until midnight. The corned beef hash alone was a meal's worth of food.

God I love Philippe's. Does pretty damn well for a 100-year old place.

Another night of insomnia...where to go for this morning's breakfast? Philippe's again? Lucy's for a chorizo con huevo burrito? One of the 24/7 Korean places for cheap spicy K-town food? Decisions, decisions...

I'll scan a menu.

The juice will probably send me over the $6 mark, but still

But Savannah is a great place to be. I lived for over a year in Atlanta and moved back to Ohio, Atlanta was a bigger city than I wanted to live in.

Columbus proper is bigger than Atlanta proper. :AH-HA_wink:

Seasonal air just hit here in Baltimore. I think it's here to stay this time.

w00t!

Chimney guys were out today and cleaned the chimney and fixed our stuck damper. We couldn't get the flue open enough and would sometimes have smoke problems if the outside wind wasn't strong enough.

It's about 31 degrees here. Can't wait to get home and try out the fireplace again!

Me too...maybe I'll fix it for breakfast tomorrow.

Chris

w00t!

Chimney guys were out today and cleaned the chimney and fixed our stuck damper. We couldn't get the flue open enough and would sometimes have smoke problems if the outside wind wasn't strong enough.

It's about 31 degrees here. Can't wait to get home and try out the fireplace again!

Not just yes but Hell yes...I lkove a good fire.

Chris

>>"It's about 31 degrees here. Can't wait to get home and try out the fireplace again!"<<

31 degrees + fireplace = leaving a window fully open all night.

Air-tight wood stove, baby; only way to burn.

Right now it's 36 outside, with a good 7 MPH breeze. I've had the stove running since 3PM, and here at the machine, about as far away from the stove as I can get in my ranch house, it's about 70. It's 76 in the living room right now. On occasion I've had it up to 84 (too hot- open the window!) Stock the box, go to sleep, furnace stays off 'til 6AM.

No; you can't smell the fire and any crackling is pretty muted, but giving the middle finger to the furnace in this temp is priceless. That, and I never pay for wood. I just computed last year's heating cost: $865 running the stove about every weekend and the occasional weeknight. Going to try and better that this winter. National average is around $975. I need a bumper sticker: I (heart) my wood stove.

I just computed last year's heating cost: $865 running the stove about every weekend and the occasional weeknight. Going to try and better that this winter. National average is around $975. I need a bumper sticker: I (heart) my wood stove.

Wow...$865 for the whole year... I was seeing about $400/month this summer for A/C here in Phoenix. I think in Denver IIRC my heating bill for my condo is usually around $100/month more or less in the winter.

>>"It's about 31 degrees here. Can't wait to get home and try out the fireplace again!"<<

31 degrees + fireplace = leaving a window fully open all night.

Air-tight wood stove, baby; only way to burn.

Right now it's 36 outside, with a good 7 MPH breeze. I've had the stove running since 3PM, and here at the machine, about as far away from the stove as I can get in my ranch house, it's about 70. It's 76 in the living room right now. On occasion I've had it up to 84 (too hot- open the window!) Stock the box, go to sleep, furnace stays off 'til 6AM.

No; you can't smell the fire and any crackling is pretty muted, but giving the middle finger to the furnace in this temp is priceless. That, and I never pay for wood. I just computed last year's heating cost: $865 running the stove about every weekend and the occasional weeknight. Going to try and better that this winter. National average is around $975. I need a bumper sticker: I (heart) my wood stove.

We have a firebox heatalator with forced air circulation, so it's not just a regular fireplace.

I got a wagon full of wood today for $0. All told we ended up with about half a rick, which should be enough to keep the fires going occasionally this winter. The guy I got it from built his house with concrete floors (because he's cheap) and a woodburning stove (because he works at and lives right next to a sawmill) and his house was nice and toasty this evening.

>>"We have a firebox heatalator with forced air circulation, so it's not just a regular fireplace."<<

No doubt that's an improvement, but you still have an open flue going straight up. Try laying on the floor in the doorway of the fireplace room when it's going good; see if you feel a cool draft at the floor. That's the net heat loss: the rising heat is sucking air in from the rest of the house, pulling it in around windows & cracks and into that room. Rest of the house is getting colder because it's drawing from the outside.

If there's a window near the fireplace, make sure it's cracked open as an air source, and compare the floor draft. Might let the heatalator push the heat farther thru the house.

>>"We have a firebox heatalator with forced air circulation, so it's not just a regular fireplace."<<

No doubt that's an improvement, but you still have an open flue going straight up. Try laying on the floor in the doorway of the fireplace room when it's going good; see if you feel a cool draft at the floor. That's the net heat loss: the rising heat is sucking air in from the rest of the house, pulling it in around windows & cracks and into that room. Rest of the house is getting colder because it's drawing from the outside.

If there's a window near the fireplace, make sure it's cracked open as an air source, and compare the floor draft. Might let the heatalator push the heat farther thru the house.

Oh, I know it's no wood stove, but it can certainly keep the whole house warm. I leave my furnace set at 50 degrees to "catch" the temperature as it falls after we let the fire go out. When we're running the fire, it keeps the house in the low 70s.

The fireplace is located in the living room and the stairs to the second floor come down about 5 feet away, so the heat travels up the stairwell and does the second floor as well.

The setup of the heatalator is rather ingenious I think. At the bottom back of the fireplace is a 6" x 4" vent that runs into the basement. That helps to feed the fire with air. My house is drafty around the doors already even without the fireplace running. However, I do know that we wouldn't have a comfortable temperature in the house with the furnace at 50 and no fire... so we've gotta be having some heat gain.