Crappy weather

Satty

Its finally winter weather time. Its about 40 and windy after a rainy day. Tomorrows high is supposed to be 39. Going out anywhere is absolutely out of the question, cold weather puts a damper on just about everything. So we're coping the best way we know how, a fire going in the fireplace, some pizza and, soon enough, a viewing of Anchorman, because it remains the best movie ever made. Is there any better way to kick off 6 months of cabin fever?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's how I like it.

My favorite is when it's snowing very heavy, the world stands still at night, you're inside, under a big blanket, some hot cocoa, a good movie, some loved ones, etc.

We tend to watch horror movies though--a night we're all stuck in brings on The Stand, or some other Steven King marathon.

Haven't seen Anchorman yet.

Winter is my favorite season hands down. I hate the heat, and snow just makes everything purdy (until it becomes that slushy crap). Unfortunately on Long Island we see mostly noreasters which are much more irritating than a heavy snowstorm. Nothing pretty comes out of a noreaster.

Actually starting to get crappy this evening, but today it was actualoly nice here in Columbus, Ohio.

Drove around with the top down, and took my son to school yesterday AM with the top down.

right now though, I am inside listening to the stereo and avoiding rain. Methinks November has come at last.

Chris

We've already had a couple light snows (although it melted away as soon as it hit the ground). I like winter until about mid-January when the temps start diving down into below zero digits and the winds pick up. December is usually pretty mild for us. January and February are the months we get the arctic blasts from the north.

I don't really mind the snow until later in the season when you're anticipating spring and it just won't stop. I'm not a fan of the slush-mush you get when the temps go above freezing and my black car gets nice and dirty.

Yeah, we're getting a wave of wet warmth ahead of what you guys are getting out west. It's supposed to be as warm as 64 today, with lots of rain... then plunge into windy 40's tomorrow, and remain in the 40's for highs all week.

I guess it's time to think about comfort food... homemade soups, rosbif, cheddar biscuits, etc. I guess the instinct is to fatten oneself up for protection from the cold.

Edited by ocnblu

Talk about perfect paper writing weather. It's holding 70 outside, but it's cloudy and windy and humid...oh, and it just started raining again. There's a tornado watch good until 7 PM, too.

Nice and sunny and only 80 today in Phoenix...the days are too short, though...daylight by 6:30 or so and dark by 6:00 PM... Speaking of Ohio weather, my sister said it was yucky in Dayton this week, her flight back last night was delayed in Charlotte for 2 hours, didn't get until almost 1 this morning, flying back to Columbus via Chicago tomorrow afternoon. I don't know how she does it. 75k FF miles so far this year. Will be back here for Thanksgiving, though we are thinking of going to Ohio for Xmas to visit our Mom and brother..can't get them to come out here.

I could move to Savannah, but not anywhere inland.

I had a job lined up in Savannah, but couldn't unload my house here in Ohio. Savannah is beautiful. Biggest problem is that there is almost no middle class there...everyone is either loaded or poor. Plus the hurricane thing doesn't do much for me.

But Savannah is a great place to be. I lived for over a year in Atlanta and moved back to Ohio, Atlanta was a bigger city than I wanted to live in.

But I liked the climate.

Chris

Nice and sunny and only 80 today in Phoenix...the days are too short, though...daylight by 6:30 or so and dark by 6:00 PM... Speaking of Ohio weather, my sister said it was yucky in Dayton this week, her flight back last night was delayed in Charlotte for 2 hours, didn't get until almost 1 this morning, flying back to Columbus via Chicago tomorrow afternoon. I don't know how she does it. 75k FF miles so far this year. Will be back here for Thanksgiving, though we are thinking of going to Ohio for Xmas to visit our Mom and brother..can't get them to come out here.

One of these days when your in the Buckeye state, I need to come up, buy you dinner, and lust over your Mustangs.

Chris

37 and blustery wind here <I'm back in the U.S. BTW>

Have the fireplace going and all the heavy curtains closed. My house sits on top of one of the tallest hills around and the back of the house faces due west with no tree cover. That side of the house is getting absolutely pummeled by the wind. Every once in a while I can feel the house shake from the wind... which is disturbing because it's a stone house.

Macon is a nice place to live, but it is HOT. It is in the center of the state, and it is lower in elevation than Atlanta..so it gets ungodly hot in the summer.

But yeah, it's scary to think of doing anything with the economy in such a funk.

Chris

37 and blustery wind here <I'm back in the U.S. BTW>

Have the fireplace going and all the heavy curtains closed. My house sits on top of one of the tallest hills around and the back of the house faces due west with no tree cover. That side of the house is getting absolutely pummeled by the wind. Every once in a while I can feel the house shake from the wind... which is disturbing because it's a stone house.

Sounds like you and the BF need to cuddle up on the couch with a good movie and a good bottle of wine.

Chris

I'd settle for a beach in Tahiti myself.

Chris

When I was on my job hunt in August, I had a head hunter contact me about a position in Maui...that could be interesting. I've lived in the Florida Keys, which are islands connected by bridges. Lousy beaches, though.. and humidity and hurricanes.

When I was on my job hunt in August, I had a head hunter contact me about a position in Maui...that could be interesting. I've lived in the Florida Keys, which are islands connected by bridges. Lousy beaches, though.. and humidity and hurricanes.

...and bikini's...South Florida has some amazingly beautiful females. I have a middle aged friend who looks no better than I do. He was married to a very unattractive midwestern lady. Once the divorce was final and he moved to Florida, he managed to get a girlfriend that was an "11"

Chris

I'd love to live in San Diego for a little while.

I've thought about San Diego also... I've gone to the beach there in the summer (Pacific Beach usually) for 10+ years now...have a couple friends there. I've thought a year in SD, Honolulu, or the SF Bay Area could be an interesting change of pace, no worse than a year in Phoenix I figure..

Edited by moltar

I have two good friends, John and Tim, and both of them have lived in San Diego. Wonderful place to live. Just learn Spanish and your all set.

Chris

San Diego rocks. But I still love the inherent crazy f@#ked-up-ness of Los Angeles better, though. Seriously...in LA there's ALWAYS something going on. Plus way more variety of ethnic culture/food. Aaaaand it's only a 2hr drive to SD, though I've been in the car with someone who made it in 45 going 125 on the 73 :ohyeah:

Edited by Croc

Ugh.

Four straight weekends of cloudy and coldish weather here. I'm already tired of it, especially since the weeks seem to be mostly sunny...while I'm at work, of course....arg.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...& now an uncle!

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I'm in a state of confusion, I hope things aren't what they seem" ... Travis Tritt ... 'Tell Me I Was Dreaming'

San Diego rocks. But I still love the inherent crazy f@#ked-up-ness of Los Angeles better, though. Seriously...in LA there's ALWAYS something going on. Plus way more variety of ethnic culture/food. Aaaaand it's only a 2hr drive to SD, though I've been in the car with someone who made it in 45 going 125 on the 73 :ohyeah:

So Cal, especially LA, is NOT the place to be right now...

Born in Chicago, lived down here for a decade, so I'm a Midwesterner through and through. Detroit is just one of those places that seems dreary even on the nicest days. I've been there a couple times, cant say its very inviting in the summer or the fall.

There are rural parts of Michigan that are just beuatiful, though. If I had my druthers, I'd be a yuper and move to the Upper Peninsula just to get away from the bulk of population that seems to be over-running everywhere else.

Chris

Actually I've lived in the midwest my whole life, and summer is quite nice here.

Chris

Ya..I esp. liked May and June, Sept and early October in Ohio. July and August can be hot 'n humid, though. Michigan was ok then also. IIRC, winters there (SE Michigan) were grayer than NE Ohio, with less snow, but just as damp...and some nasty ice storms. After jr. high and high school mostly in the Florida Keys, I moved back to Ohio---in college and grad school, I spent 6 winters and summers in the Akron/Cleveland area, 3 in Ann Arbor, Mi, and 2 summers in Chicago... interesting variety of weather those years, IIRC...then I moved West in June '97.

One of my favorite little weekend trips in Michigan was the time I drove all the way around the thumb...very pretty....also drove up to Charlevoix, Ste St Marie, went to Mackinac Island, drove around the upper peninsula. The summers of '94-96 were fun, amidst grad school and driving back and forth between Chicago and A2..

One place at the northern tip of the thum I liked was Port Austin...I recall eating in a restaurant called 'The Bank'.

Edited by moltar

So Cal, especially LA, is NOT the place to be right now...

Especially LA? Uhhhhh more like The Valley, OC, and Montecito. Or do you just mean the air quality? Hell, it was raining ash at Disneyland yesterday, and that's Anaheim.

...or were you referring to all the demonstrations? Those are fun, so many people have been protesting at them.

All I know is my little piece of LA is just fine. Woke up this morning and went to Philippe's for breakfast--first person on the 10 since Caltrans had just opened it after a late-night closure. Got there in literally 3 minutes. Yummy cinnamon french toast, two sunnyside-up eggs, two slices of bacon, corned beef hash, rye toast, and a large grapefruit juice, all for just slightly over $12. Yum!

Edited by Croc