Crappy weather

Satty

Mmm...heat. Something very absent from the Mid-Atlantic today.

Not heat... FIRE, literally.

Especially LA? Uhhhhh more like The Valley, OC, and Montecito. Or do you just mean the air quality? Hell, it was raining ash at Disneyland yesterday, and that's Anaheim.

...or were you referring to all the demonstrations? Those are fun, so many people have been protesting at them.

The fires, and air quality. It was just easier for me to say LA, rather then list the fires... By the way, you forgot Brea and Carbon Canyon/Yorba Linda. Those two spewed a lot of crap around where I live.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not heat... FIRE, literally.

The fires, and air quality. It was just easier for me to say LA, rather then list the fires... By the way, you forgot Brea and Carbon Canyon/Yorba Linda. Those two spewed a lot of crap around where I live.

I mentioned Orange County (OC).

The wildfires suck out here, and they happen every year. It really confuses me that so many people live in what to me seem like extremely obvious places for a wildfire. It also surprises me that year after year there is so much damage from the fires. After all the stories I've read where spared residents cite their turning on a Big Bird sprinkler as the reason they were spared, I'd have thought those would be required by law for developments.

I know if I decided to live on a hillside or in a canyon (never happening--fires AND mudslides? no thanks), I'd make sure an extensive irrigation system were installed on my property. Not to water my lawn (don't need/want a lawn) but to turn on to douse the hell out of my property in an emergency. It would be kinda tough for a house to burn if it's sopping wet.

Born in Chicago, lived down here for a decade, so I'm a Midwesterner through and through. Detroit is just one of those places that seems dreary even on the nicest days. I've been there a couple times, cant say its very inviting in the summer or the fall.

I remember Michigan summers being warm and relatively sunny......but lord were they humid!

We've been sunny and in the mid-to-upper 70's for the last few weeks here in Las Vegas......and looks to continue at least through the weekend.

All I know is my little piece of LA is just fine. Woke up this morning and went to Philippe's for breakfast--first person on the 10 since Caltrans had just opened it after a late-night closure. Got there in literally 3 minutes. Yummy cinnamon french toast, two sunnyside-up eggs, two slices of bacon, corned beef hash, rye toast, and a large grapefruit juice, all for just slightly over $12. Yum!

Yeah, but you are quite the slim and trim guy.....you can afford to sock away a breakfast like that....

:D

I remember Michigan summers being warm and relatively sunny......but lord were they humid!

We've been sunny and in the mid-to-upper 70's for the last few weeks here in Las Vegas......and looks to continue at least through the weekend.

Nice..highs still in the low '80s the last few weeks here in Phoenix, with a couple days in the '70s. Highs in the '70s should be the norm soon though.. No cloudy days.

R

O.K., I am jealous...

Chris

O.K., I am jealous...

Chris

LOL.....

Well, although the winters here aren't like a midwestern winter, they are far from paradise......it can get really breezy/windy here in the winter....and combined with highs in the 50's to mid 60's, far from ideal.....and lows at night can get down to 40....or even below....

Damn these deserts......hot in the summer.....cold in the winter.....lol

LOL.....

Well, although the winters here aren't like a midwestern winter, they are far from paradise......it can get really breezy/windy here in the winter....and combined with highs in the 50's to mid 60's, far from ideal.....and lows at night can get down to 40....or even below....

Damn these deserts......hot in the summer.....cold in the winter.....lol

Ya... this summer in Phoenix was considered 'mild' by the locals--only hit 115 once--no 118 or 122 as has happened in the past...still, almost 5 months of 100+ daily highs. It's nice now, perfect convertible/sunroof open weather. Looking forward to fireplace weather in December. The desert is a very strange place.

Yeah, but you are quite the slim and trim guy.....you can afford to sock away a breakfast like that....

:D

:lol:

But I didn't mention how I pulled a Paula Deen with the 6 pats of butter they gave me.

It's becoming a growing problem lately...all I can dream about is the incredible food coma I'll be in the evening of November 27th. Need to start dieting in preparation for that haha

Maybe we can form a Cheers and Gears Convoy to Florida to find Flybrian?

*raises eyebrow*

ROAD TRIP!

So, yes, I agree ... especially heading to Florida! Brrrr....I'm not ready for the cold or snow.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 cruise=Sept '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"The more things change the more they stay the same" ... Kenny Chesney ... 'Summertime'

:lol:

But I didn't mention how I pulled a Paula Deen with the 6 pats of butter they gave me.

It's becoming a growing problem lately...all I can dream about is the incredible food coma I'll be in the evening of November 27th. Need to start dieting in preparation for that haha

I'll admit to a severe fetish for pancakes and bacon......pancakes with multiple tubes of butter to accommodate them......

The desert is a very strange place.

.....it is....and I love it.....

A strange, yet beautiful place......

As environmentally wrong as it may be, I find a certain beauty in a place like Las Vegas (or Phoenix) where the stark desert is interrupted by such areas of lush greenery and flora (developed suburban areas)....when there shouldn't be any at all......lol......

To be in the stark nakedness of desert rock and gravel and 115-degree temps one day......and on the same day, up at 8.000 feet in forests surrounded by pine needles and evergreens...and temps a good 40 degrees cooler....within a 45-minute drive.....

It's all kinda f*cked up.....but really exotic in a wierd sort of way....

I'll admit to a severe fetish for pancakes and bacon......pancakes with multiple tubes of butter to accommodate them......

The butter was strictly reserved for the rye toast, completed with Knott's Berry Farm boisenberry jelly. Then after I ran out of toast, I just ate butter and jelly, mixed together. And pancakes? Eh, french toast for the win almost every time.

Love bacon, too; I need to try a gutter dog sometime soon--it's ridiculous I haven't yet after nearly 5 SC football seasons.

Ah, a nice, big weekend breakfast... nothing finer. Mix some dried blueberries into the pancake batter, then slather them with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter with Olive Oil and King Syrup. Of course served with crispy bacon. YUM. Sometimes, an egg over medium slipped between the pancakes is called for, as well.

Especially LA? Uhhhhh more like The Valley, OC, and Montecito. Or do you just mean the air quality? Hell, it was raining ash at Disneyland yesterday, and that's Anaheim.

...or were you referring to all the demonstrations? Those are fun, so many people have been protesting at them.

All I know is my little piece of LA is just fine. Woke up this morning and went to Philippe's for breakfast--first person on the 10 since Caltrans had just opened it after a late-night closure. Got there in literally 3 minutes. Yummy cinnamon french toast, two sunnyside-up eggs, two slices of bacon, corned beef hash, rye toast, and a large grapefruit juice, all for just slightly over $12. Yum!

That's a $6 meal at an expensive diner here.

Now I'm craving Cracker Barrel blueberry pancakes and there aren't any Cracker Barrels in Germany. Cracker Barrel needs to go global!

Mmmm....Cracker Barrel country ham w/ biscuits and gravy, with sausages on the side. Love that place. I think the nearest one here is way out in the East Valley burbs (Mesa I think)...will have to go some Saturday morning..early. The ones in Colorado often had a 45 min wait if you showed up after 8 am on a Sat/Sun.

That's a $6 meal at an expensive diner here.

I have a hard time believing that, considering Indianapolis is portion control hell, and there's no way that much food would go for so little in that hick town.

It was a LOT of food, so much so I didn't get hungry until midnight. The corned beef hash alone was a meal's worth of food.

God I love Philippe's. Does pretty damn well for a 100-year old place.

Another night of insomnia...where to go for this morning's breakfast? Philippe's again? Lucy's for a chorizo con huevo burrito? One of the 24/7 Korean places for cheap spicy K-town food? Decisions, decisions...

Edited by Croc

I have a hard time believing that, considering Indianapolis is portion control hell, and there's no way that much food would go for so little in that hick town.

It was a LOT of food, so much so I didn't get hungry until midnight. The corned beef hash alone was a meal's worth of food.

God I love Philippe's. Does pretty damn well for a 100-year old place.

Another night of insomnia...where to go for this morning's breakfast? Philippe's again? Lucy's for a chorizo con huevo burrito? One of the 24/7 Korean places for cheap spicy K-town food? Decisions, decisions...

I'll scan a menu.

The juice will probably send me over the $6 mark, but still

But Savannah is a great place to be. I lived for over a year in Atlanta and moved back to Ohio, Atlanta was a bigger city than I wanted to live in.

Columbus proper is bigger than Atlanta proper. :AH-HA_wink:

Seasonal air just hit here in Baltimore. I think it's here to stay this time.

w00t!

Chimney guys were out today and cleaned the chimney and fixed our stuck damper. We couldn't get the flue open enough and would sometimes have smoke problems if the outside wind wasn't strong enough.

It's about 31 degrees here. Can't wait to get home and try out the fireplace again!

Me too...maybe I'll fix it for breakfast tomorrow.

Chris

w00t!

Chimney guys were out today and cleaned the chimney and fixed our stuck damper. We couldn't get the flue open enough and would sometimes have smoke problems if the outside wind wasn't strong enough.

It's about 31 degrees here. Can't wait to get home and try out the fireplace again!

Not just yes but Hell yes...I lkove a good fire.

Chris

>>"It's about 31 degrees here. Can't wait to get home and try out the fireplace again!"<<

31 degrees + fireplace = leaving a window fully open all night.

Air-tight wood stove, baby; only way to burn.

Right now it's 36 outside, with a good 7 MPH breeze. I've had the stove running since 3PM, and here at the machine, about as far away from the stove as I can get in my ranch house, it's about 70. It's 76 in the living room right now. On occasion I've had it up to 84 (too hot- open the window!) Stock the box, go to sleep, furnace stays off 'til 6AM.

No; you can't smell the fire and any crackling is pretty muted, but giving the middle finger to the furnace in this temp is priceless. That, and I never pay for wood. I just computed last year's heating cost: $865 running the stove about every weekend and the occasional weeknight. Going to try and better that this winter. National average is around $975. I need a bumper sticker: I (heart) my wood stove.

I just computed last year's heating cost: $865 running the stove about every weekend and the occasional weeknight. Going to try and better that this winter. National average is around $975. I need a bumper sticker: I (heart) my wood stove.

Wow...$865 for the whole year... I was seeing about $400/month this summer for A/C here in Phoenix. I think in Denver IIRC my heating bill for my condo is usually around $100/month more or less in the winter.

>>"It's about 31 degrees here. Can't wait to get home and try out the fireplace again!"<<

31 degrees + fireplace = leaving a window fully open all night.

Air-tight wood stove, baby; only way to burn.

Right now it's 36 outside, with a good 7 MPH breeze. I've had the stove running since 3PM, and here at the machine, about as far away from the stove as I can get in my ranch house, it's about 70. It's 76 in the living room right now. On occasion I've had it up to 84 (too hot- open the window!) Stock the box, go to sleep, furnace stays off 'til 6AM.

No; you can't smell the fire and any crackling is pretty muted, but giving the middle finger to the furnace in this temp is priceless. That, and I never pay for wood. I just computed last year's heating cost: $865 running the stove about every weekend and the occasional weeknight. Going to try and better that this winter. National average is around $975. I need a bumper sticker: I (heart) my wood stove.

We have a firebox heatalator with forced air circulation, so it's not just a regular fireplace.

I got a wagon full of wood today for $0. All told we ended up with about half a rick, which should be enough to keep the fires going occasionally this winter. The guy I got it from built his house with concrete floors (because he's cheap) and a woodburning stove (because he works at and lives right next to a sawmill) and his house was nice and toasty this evening.

>>"We have a firebox heatalator with forced air circulation, so it's not just a regular fireplace."<<

No doubt that's an improvement, but you still have an open flue going straight up. Try laying on the floor in the doorway of the fireplace room when it's going good; see if you feel a cool draft at the floor. That's the net heat loss: the rising heat is sucking air in from the rest of the house, pulling it in around windows & cracks and into that room. Rest of the house is getting colder because it's drawing from the outside.

If there's a window near the fireplace, make sure it's cracked open as an air source, and compare the floor draft. Might let the heatalator push the heat farther thru the house.

>>"We have a firebox heatalator with forced air circulation, so it's not just a regular fireplace."<<

No doubt that's an improvement, but you still have an open flue going straight up. Try laying on the floor in the doorway of the fireplace room when it's going good; see if you feel a cool draft at the floor. That's the net heat loss: the rising heat is sucking air in from the rest of the house, pulling it in around windows & cracks and into that room. Rest of the house is getting colder because it's drawing from the outside.

If there's a window near the fireplace, make sure it's cracked open as an air source, and compare the floor draft. Might let the heatalator push the heat farther thru the house.

Oh, I know it's no wood stove, but it can certainly keep the whole house warm. I leave my furnace set at 50 degrees to "catch" the temperature as it falls after we let the fire go out. When we're running the fire, it keeps the house in the low 70s.

The fireplace is located in the living room and the stairs to the second floor come down about 5 feet away, so the heat travels up the stairwell and does the second floor as well.

The setup of the heatalator is rather ingenious I think. At the bottom back of the fireplace is a 6" x 4" vent that runs into the basement. That helps to feed the fire with air. My house is drafty around the doors already even without the fireplace running. However, I do know that we wouldn't have a comfortable temperature in the house with the furnace at 50 and no fire... so we've gotta be having some heat gain.

I think our heat bill last winter was around maybe $500 maybe $550. Our new house is pretty efficient being built and designed for Wisconsin winter. I thi nk we saved about $100 over the old house which was built in 1901 but was fully insulated. Doesnt homeowners insurance frown on wood stoves?

I caved. Last night it was all about Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles. 1/2 Chicken, 2 waffles, and macaroni and cheese. Ahhhhh the burps taste so good!

Aaaaaanyway...LA has been going through another heat wave. Thank God, I wasn't doing well when the temps dipped down to the mid-60s. I feel like such a pussy...I'm freezing in the 60s, but when I was in Indianapolis I'd wear long sleaves if it were below 50. I've acclimated for sure.

Edited by Croc

I caved. Last night it was all about Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles. 1/2 Chicken, 2 waffles, and macaroni and cheese. Ahhhhh the burps taste so good!

Aaaaaanyway...LA has been going through another heat wave. Thank God, I wasn't doing well when the temps dipped down to the mid-60s. I feel like such a pussy...I'm freezing in the 60s, but when I was in Indianapolis I'd wear long sleaves if it were below 50. I've acclimated for sure.

Mmm....I like Roscoe's...gone there every time I've been in town. I've gotten acclimated to Phoenix, I'm afraid...mornings in the 50s feel freezing to me, and afternoons in the low 80s are perfect sunroof open, windows down weather....

Same. I don't even bother thinking about the beach if downtown isn't above 80 because it's always 10 degrees cooler on the coast. Trying to get a tan in 65 degrees is NOT optimal.

Call me wierd......but the best was this summer in Las Vegas when on Sunday afternoon, it would be 110+.....and I was LOVING laying out in the sun in the pool raking in the sun.....

(Pool being a key point)

Man I got some good sun this summer.....LOL

I could handle some sun right now.

Today in crappy Ohio weather there was an old air cooled 911 running around on four Hoosier auto-x or road race type tires. Must have been a real handful.

Chris

I could handle some sun right now.

Today in crappy Ohio weather there was an old air cooled 911 running around on four Hoosier auto-x or road race type tires. Must have been a real handful.

Chris

Yeah, I was talking to my sister in Beavercreek...sounds like the weather is Ohio November blah back there now.. I was driving around with the sunroof open tonight, 82 degrees in Phoenix. Alas, I'm probably heading to Ohio for Christmas..

Now I'm craving Cracker Barrel

That about says it for me. My goodness, that is such a great place to eat ... always good food. Haven't been to one for a while, though. That needs to change!

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...Chitown #2 = 07/25/09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Gonna do my very best" ... ABBA ... 'Take A Chance On Me'

Call me wierd......but the best was this summer in Las Vegas when on Sunday afternoon, it would be 110+.....and I was LOVING laying out in the sun in the pool raking in the sun.....

(Pool being a key point)

Man I got some good sun this summer.....LOL

No, I like 110. Warmer is better.

I hate wind, its been gusting up to 30mph today and its stupid.

I looked outside today and saw the sun, which was a pleasant surprise, them I went outside and nearly got knocked over by a gust of freezing cold wind.

Edited by Satty

I hate wind, its been gusting up to 30mph today and its stupid.

I looked outside today and saw the sun, which was a pleasant surprise, them I went outside and nearly got knocked over by a gust of freezing cold wind.

That's funny. In LA, the only real winds we get are the Santa Anas, and those are hot desert winds. Only along the coast do you get a cooler seabreeze.

I need to put the Blizzacks on the car. Been running around on summer performance type tires with too many autocross runs on them, and it has been "interesting" commuting to work.

Tonight I am going to go to the TDI Club dinner and then I am going to get very comfortable on the couch under a wool or down blanket, and watch movies with the family.

I love watching Movies with my children. I forget the movie, but there was a beautiful pre-WWI Oldsmobile touring car in one of those girls movies my daughters were watching. Actually, the girls have been watching a lot of historical type stuff, as well as older movies. Seeing all those old cars again is sweet. I can really relate to 68, XP715, balthazar, etc.

There needs to be another vintage car in my garage, so on nights like tonight I can go out, pull up a corner on the car cover, and drool.

Chris/66

I hate winter, not going to go out anywhere and there is nothing on tv. Not even anything worthwhile on the porn channels. Seriously, Azzfest 6? 14 Inch Hole Stuffer? Deep Inside Coeds? Sextasy Island Sluts? Anime Sex Warrior? That last one is my favorite porn title ever.

It needs to be spring like yesterday.