Awesome rant

mustang84

If I had the floor at the auto rescue talks

BY MITCH ALBOM • FREE PRESS COLUMNIST • November 23, 2008

OK. It's a fantasy. But if I had five minutes in front of Congress last week, here's what I would've said:

http://www.freep.com/article/20081123/COL01/811230371

*Edit: Fixed link

Edited by mustang84

we can DF but it doesn't mean $h!. If We all had time to protest on capital hill I would leave tonight but we are all to busy working trying to keep our selves afloat.

news flash, citigroup just got another 20 billion, no questions asked!

Jesus...they'll give it to the banks without batting an eye, but they practically make the Detroit 3 come crawling on their hands and knees begging.

I'm thinking about doing as DF did and writing Dodd and others...this is getting ridiculous.

Just heard a news blurb that said 300 billion to save Citibank!

Really?

They think that's ok?

Those idiots in Congress are giving money like that to the jackasses that built the house of cards and caused the problem in the first place?

We

Are

Doomed

That is $300 Billion to guarantee the 'assets' on their books.

The cash infusion was $30 Billion. Overnight. We just cut them a check.

No peeking under the hood. No kicking the tires. No boorishly shameful questions about Citigroup's 'Air Force'.

Shock and awe.

I grow very weary of the imaginary economy of banks and Wall street. It isn't real, the money isn't real, their power isn't real, they create nothing, they add nothing to the world - simply put, they are parasites.

The day of these paper pushing theives must come to an end. It is time to marginalize the "financial community" to a back corner of our economy and bring to the forefront those who actually add value.

You know, the people who actually make things, or do real work thereby earning their money while adding tangible value to the world.

"The market" should be pushed into the background permanently so that parasites no longer determine our economic well-being, that should be the province of those that do real things.

I grow very weary of the imaginary economy of banks and Wall street. It isn't real, the money isn't real, their power isn't real, they create nothing, they add nothing to the world - simply put, they are parasites.

The day of these paper pushing theives must come to an end. It is time to marginalize the "financial community" to a back corner of our economy and bring to the forefront those who actually add value.

You know, the people who actually make things, or do real work thereby earning their money while adding tangible value to the world.

"The market" should be pushed into the background permanently so that parasites no longer determine our economic well-being, that should be the province of those that do real things.

Thomas Jefferson understood the danger of putting the power to control the currency of a nation in the hands of a few individuals in the form of a monopolistic central bank. This is why he opposed Alexander Hamilton's scheme to establish the First Bank of the United States. Let me repeat what he said in 1791:"If the American people ever allow the banks to control issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied."

.....it's all the fed's, sorry, central bank's fault

news flash, citigroup just got another 20 billion, no questions asked!

It nauseates me that Washington bails out garbage like Citigroup and AIG with very little effort, yet the automakers are treated like beggars...

we can DF but it doesn't mean $h!. If We all had time to protest on capital hill I would leave tonight but we are all to busy working trying to keep our selves afloat.

And that's exactly what they want (or wanted)

Politicians WANT you to be too busy to be active in politics. After all, one wrong vote by us and it could mean the end of their career, right?

What do banks do anyways? Charge you fees to keep your money and make gambles on junk bonds, hedge funds and other things that are useless except to stockholders and day traders. I'm getting tired of these shenanigans!

They put forward tremendous ideas re: Making money with money. 'Investing'. Clever, and now since that's all coming apart at the seams they need us.

The trouble with WallStreet is that it is run by accountants and lawyers. Has anyone ever tried to do their own tax return? Why is it so deliberately complicated? White collar crime has to be viewed with the same degree of seriousness as other crimes.

What's the difference: someone robs a 7-11 and steals hard-earned money from a family who work round the clock, or some trader on WallStreet steals money from people's pensions? It's the same damned thing, but the money traders, lawyers and accountants cloak themselves in secrecy and mythology.

Shell companies, asset-backed paper - WTF? It's all designed to make the rich richer and to avoid paying taxes. Simplify the tax codes and force a minimum tax. Get rid of all the sales taxes, etc. and slap a minimum tax on corporations and individuals.

But no, you will never see that happen because too many accountants and lawyers make their living based on deliberately confusing issues.

But, yeah, this was an excellent article. I agree with FOG, we need some sort of revolution to re-organized our society.

There is never any grey area, there are only rights and wrongs confused by people's personal agendas.

What's the difference: someone robs a 7-11 and steals hard-earned money from a family who work round the clock, or some trader on WallStreet steals money from people's pensions? It's the same damned thing, but the money traders, lawyers and accountants cloak themselves in secrecy and mythology.

This reminds me of a line from an old Don Henley song that was something like 'man with a suit can steal more than a man with a gun'...

Thomas Jefferson understood the danger of putting the power to control the currency of a nation in the hands of a few individuals in the form of a monopolistic central bank. This is why he opposed Alexander Hamilton's scheme to establish the First Bank of the United States. Let me repeat what he said in 1791:"If the American people ever allow the banks to control issuance of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers occupied."

Quoted for truth. The whole thing seems to just love wealth from the working classes to the wealthy.

Chris

Quoted for truth. The whole thing seems to just love wealth from the working classes to the wealthy.

Chris