Beach person or mountain person?

Are you a beach person or mountain person?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a beach person or mountain person?

• Beach person
    • Mountain person
    • Have to have both
    • Indifferent
    • Other - explain

Going up to Lake Tahoe last weekend, I was able to marvel (for the umpteenth time) at its dramatic beauty. The fact that it could snow at a moment's notice and one would have to chain up put me in an "eh" mood. I was thinking: "there's no way I could live up here."

Today, I was cleaning up and looking at post cards I collect. The common denominator: at least 95% of them are beach or port scenes. Besides, granolas and ex-hippies take refuge in mountain towns. They don't gravitate to the beach as readily.

That being said, if I had to pick "beach" or "mountains" to hang my hat year round, it would be "beach."

What about you?

I grew up in the mountains, so it's in my soul. But I do like the occasional beach too.

I lived just down the road from here. It has it's challenges, like snow slides in winter across the road, but the way of life is so worth it. Cold, clean water just off the glacier, rainbow trout, wild strawberries & raspberries, rare orchids, Indian Paintbrushes, bears, cougars, lynx, moose, elk, fresh air, stunning views everyday, well you get it....paradise.

homemountainsww4.jpg

Can I choose "beach person," but modify it to "ocean person?" I like the beach/coastal environment, but hate beach crowds (read: throngs of obnoxious kids that caravan up in daddy's car and act like retards because they just drank their FIRST BEER EVER OMG!!!!). I've been around this environment my entire life; my grandfather was a commercial lobster fisherman and I've been fishing with my father since I was old enough to remember. Driving to the coast with him and poking around in marinas and boatyards are some of my fondest memories I have from my childhood. This winter he and I are completely gutting and redoing a 34-foot Webber's Cove lobster boat he bought a few months ago to ready it for next season.

I'd much rather be ON the water than merely at its edge.

In the past, I would have gone with mountains without a second thought, but I've been gravitating more towards the beach lately. Especially right now; every day for the past few weeks has been overcast and/or rainy.

No freakin' kidding man... I was standing outside yesterday thinking are we EVER going to see the sun again?!?!

Of course, today it's beautiful :D

I'm a "both" person as well...

I grew up in the mountains and that's where my heart will always be. But I don't get to the beach much and when I do I tend to love/savor every minute of it. I think it would be so cool to live next to the ocean, get off of work at 4 or 5 and be able to just head to the beach and relax or the rest of the evening.

The GF and I have thought about moving to a beach town an then maintaining a vacation house in the mountains (Since it would be much harder to get decent jobs in the mountains)

I'm not worried, sharks don't like fur balls.

Actually, many have a "bump and bite" tactic...by then, it's too late for you, while they've already "decided" on whether they like you or not.

The intent of the thread is if you had to PICK one....to live in, or by, all year round. If you have to have both, it only means you can live in parts of CA, OR, WA, and Maine.

I love the beach, I wish some were not so spoiled by the drunk or immature people on them.

I also love the mountains, nature and quiet (well, maybe not quiet but only animal sounds).

If I had to pick one, I would go with mountains. I would just need more/better cold weather gear.

2594271242_d85fee04dd_o.jpg

Vancouver

PICT1872_lg.jpg

I meant in the US. I'd forgotten you :canada: guys.

One to two months of usability...that's it. Drizzle...drizzle...drizzle.

Which one's that? Kitsilano, Spanish Banks, or Wreck Beach (the legal nude one sitting right under the UBC campus...crazy)?

I guess he wants to put in varying degrees of efforts to have them seen - from easily visible to make them visible.

Exactly! Beach and Mountains cover both ends of the spectrum. :smilewide:

@ frogger - I didn't know there were beaches in Vancouver. Neat pic!

Edited by ZL-1

Beaches/water for me. One of the nice things about Maryland is that from my house, either the Atlantic or the Appalachians are at most two hours away.

Or, if I'm really impatient, the Chesapeake Bay is about 35 minutes to the east and is generally less crowded than the Delaware/Maryland beaches.

Home sweet home:

280239086_f304d207b6_b.jpg

This is the mountain range on the other side of the valley from where I grew up. (I didn't take the picture, swiped it from Flickr)

Stunning. The Appalachians, the Piedmont and the Adirondacks/Catskills in fall colors are out of this world. Out West, we will see some stands of aspen turning yellow in the midst of the Ponderosa pines, which is very nice, but not to the extent it occurs in the East. That's why I've been to Quebec / upstate NY 7 times in the last 12 years....always in October.