Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

This short video explains why I am no longer a Mustang Owner...

'blu, that's the kind of stupidity we get once in awhile on Brice Road when the Mopar Nationals come to Columbus.

But lately the Reynoldsburg police have been pretty good...

Lots of morons out there...but I will admit to doing the occasional burn out and power slide with my 5.0 back in the day when I was a teenager and it was new... :) Never did anything crazy with the '69, though. Though I'm sure my Dad did when it was new.

I drove my 66 hard from time to time...mostly posted this as a joke.

Thankfully we don't have the Civic Idiots here very often at 3 AM.

Chris

When I was living in Denver, there were some WRX idiots in my 'hood....kiddies that would be blasting loudly up and down and the residential streets in the early am often... they eventually hit a nearby bridge abutment at over 100 mph...

Edited by moltar

This behaviour should be viewed as entirely typical...

Chris

I thought the end was pretty funny. And very.... very stupid.

you mean something along the lines of this nonsense?

Does the camera guy say 'Bro' enough? Dude bro OMG bro sheeeeit bro! I wonder if he shops at A&F. heh heh.

When I was living in Denver, there were some WRX idiots in my 'hood....kiddies that would be blasting loudly down up and the streets in the early am often... they eventually hit a nearby bridge abutment at over 100 mph...

[/quote

Which is why I feel that introducing teenagers to proper motorsports is so important. In our local Miata Club, one of the 18 year guys autocrosses with his father on a regular basis and is smooth and quick.

He hasn't gotten any street driving tickets yet that I know of.

The sad thing is, Drag racing is kinda tough to break into and other sanctioned forms of racing can be VERY expensive. Putting a car on the grid even on the local stock car track can be pricy.

Someone needs to be creative and think of a better way to do things.

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

The video was fine besides the guy hitting himself with a shovel...that lowered my IQ a few points. The Mustang itself was pleasant to listen to, and did look like fun.

Looks like it was a work in progress resto project, missing a lot of parts.

I remember as a teenager w/ my Dad pushing our '69 around, in and out of the barn after removing the engine, transmission, exhaust, the full interior, etc. That was a 4 year resto project. It got NOS/salvage yard front fenders, doors, rear quarters, floor pans, bumpers, trunk floor, and misc. chrome trim. Had to have it hauled to a body shop for all the welding needed in replacing the rusted out front shock towers..

Years of Ohio winters had left it rough shape when we started in the summer of '83. We lived 9 months a year in Florida from '82-88 and 3 months each summer back in Ohio, often working on that car.

That gives car guys like us a bad name with the general public.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mustangs, but for some reason the Mustang owners group seems to attract more than its share of loosers. I could be (and probably am) wrong...

Not that I would mind a '70 Boss 302, mind you.

Thanks for posting that, Mustang84.

Chris

Don't get me wrong, I like Mustangs, but for some reason the Mustang owners group seems to attract more than its share of loosers. I could be (and probably am) wrong...

Not that I would mind a '70 Boss 302, mind you.

Thanks for posting that, Mustang84.

Chris

I've met a few obnoxious Mustang owners... lots of 'em in Florida, for some reason. Though I met a lot of decent people at the Mustang Roundup in Steamboat Springs...were over 400 cars there a couple years ago. Speaking of '70s, a buddy of mine in Denver is restoring a '70 Mach 1 (351C, 4bbl, 4spd) that he found in a field outside Regina...he's been working on it for the last 6 years, should be on the road next summer. Grabber green w/ black interior..

When I was in the BMW world, I did meet a lot of pompous pricks, worked with a few of 'em..

I might be alone here, but that first video looks like a good time.

+1

Empty parking lot.... The guy can OBVIOUSLY drive pretty good as well.

I really don't see the issue with it, as long as he isn't endangering other people.

As for the stupidity at the end of the video... Well, either the guy has an interesting sense of humor or he's just stupid. (That part did annoy me)

I was young and dumb once and I did some stupid sh*t in cars, but usually it was out in the country and very late at night. I would never drive my classics like that though.

+1

Empty parking lot.... The guy can OBVIOUSLY drive pretty good as well.

I really don't see the issue with it, as long as he isn't endangering other people.

As for the stupidity at the end of the video... Well, either the guy has an interesting sense of humor or he's just stupid. (That part did annoy me)

I was young and dumb once and I did some stupid sh*t in cars, but usually it was out in the country and very late at night. I would never drive my classics like that though.

Ya, I did my young and dumb stuff in my teens and 20s, when my '87 GT was new or a few years old... luckily, I didn't do anything too stupid like several kids in my high school did (3 new GTs and one Grand National were totaled my junior and senior years, one Monte Carlo SS and one Trans Am GTA were heavily damaged). Mostly for me it was going fast and power sliding/drifting on Ohio back roads. I've never been hard on the '69, since it's kind of a family heirloom (my late father bought it new, he and I restored it when I was a teenager).

I never did anything really stupid with my M3, except for a few late night 140-150 mph drives on deserted freeways that I pretended were autobahns.. :)

You're not alone. I'll take a guy who actually has fun with his Mustang of the legions of old fuggers who's Mustangs only accumulate miles driving on and off the trailer at shows. Seriously, it's a sports car; have fun with it. Ford didn't put that Boss 429 under hood just so you could idle it around a parking lot.

Yes and no...

I can see where the cars can be a lot of fun. And I still have fun in them.

But once you drop 30-50K into a car restoring it, it's just not worth taking the chance of breaking something or running into something. I'm a 'hot rodder' through and through, but I consider part of that being a 'preservationist' as well.

Yeah... But with the crowd that you're probably referring to (People who don't understand the hobby in the first place) they've probably already stereotyped the guy (based on the age, and brand of the car as well as his personal appearance) before he even does anything 'stupid'.

I mean, I'm college educated and I live in an urban arts district. yet to some of my yuppie friends I'm still "a redneck with old cars" (An identity that I accept and own)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I'm not necessarily advocating pulling a Dukes of Hazard at every opportunity, but there's more to owning an old car than just having it sit in a garage while sipping a glass of wine, admiring it. Cars were built to be used. There are plenty of track days, car cruises, open track days and sunny Sunday afternoons to take a classic car out and enjoy it. Let other people see what it looks like and enjoy it as well. I can see if you own a 1910 Maxwell AA and are worried about finding parts or how you would repair collision damage, but a car as common as the Mustang with decent suspension and brakes has no excuse. Heck, even here in Minnesota, Land of 10,000 salt trucks, I can still see people driving their classic cars from March to November. (I just saw a 1976 Eldorado with collector plates on the road on my way to the Twin Cities the other day).

True, I need to drive my cars in case I drop dead....you can't take em' with you....

I've met a few obnoxious Mustang owners... lots of 'em in Florida, for some reason. Though I met a lot of decent people at the Mustang Roundup in Steamboat Springs...were over 400 cars there a couple years ago. Speaking of '70s, a buddy of mine in Denver is restoring a '70 Mach 1 (351C, 4bbl, 4spd) that he found in a field outside Regina...he's been working on it for the last 6 years, should be on the road next summer. Grabber green w/ black interior..

When I was in the BMW world, I did meet a lot of pompous pricks, worked with a few of 'em..

I love the clean 70 design, and the "Cleveland Cobra Jet" as it is called would be great...as would a 4 speed.

I almost picked up the sister car (in competition orange) when I bought my 55 Chevy.

Thankfully, one can get whole repop bodyshells for 69 Mustangs now from Dynacorn, so I may still own one of these great cars someday.

Chris