Chrysler thanks America with a new website

Chrysler has launched a marketing campaign that has put thousands of adds in newspapers across the country and a new website that thanks America for helping them through this tough time. America has responded to Chryslers adds.

The site is here.

The majority of the 70+ comments deride Chrysler and their management. The accuse the company of stealing from the American public.

Hey Crysler! You're not welcome. You took my hard earned tax dollars without congressional approval. This is not the time for a "thank you." This would be a good time for a refund...and an apology. http://rightklik.net

That was the very first post. Nice.

Bob Nardelli - thanking Americans for stealing their money is NOT something to boast about on your website. The American public DID speak when we choose to NOT buy your cars. Why not spend the money by showing us something compelling that people would "want" to buy. I have NEVER hear anyone excited about "buying a chrysler." You have no brand strength and this current "Thank You" ad will further your branding problems.

There were a few positive posts, but they didn't exactly applaud Chrysler or say they were happy with the bailout.

I think the bigger concern is with the backlash this bailout is having. I have heard many people echo the sentiments in these blog comments. Such that they will never buy a car from Chrysler or GM again. I know that I am seriously considering a Ford for my next car, because of the bailout.

Thoughts?

Honestly, most I've heard from are completely angered by the bailout. People more so with Chrysler than GM. I personally wouldn't have been upset if Chrysler went under. I haven't liked their products in decades (with the exception to the 300M and the Cloud cars).

GM on the other hand, needs to get some of their good product out NOW instead of a year or two from now. It seems things are moving SO slowly in the automotive world. I understand it has to right now, but it's also hurting them too.

I wish I could say something earth-shattering in Chrysler's defense. I've been a fan of theirs for many decades--and a long time customer (starting with my old '66 Plymouth Belvedere). Same holds for Jeep--I learned to drive in a '48 CJ-2A. But there ain't a thing in their current lineup that does much for me. The Challenger looks nice until you get up close and realize what a huge tub it is (though it sounds like the new Camaro will be a similar tank as well). The 300 is a good concept--fast, roomy, comfy RWD sedan--but the styling plain leaves me cold. The Sebring & Avenger are just bizarre (though an extra four inches in wheelbase and trunk might make the Sebring look decent). Etc.

I really don't want to see any of the domestic manufacturers disappear, but this may be based a lot on nostalgia on my part. I grew up with "American iron" and have yet to buy any vehicle with a foreign nameplate, not because of any racist tendencies (a quick glance at my immediate family should dispel any notion that I'm some kinda racist), but because I'd like to champion the local, homegrown industries while they still exist.

I should also add that I'd rather see industries that employee people with decent wages and benefits, like the auto companies, be the recipient of "bail outs" way before the financial & banking institutions, which seem like nothing more than legalized gambling with other people's money to me.

Edited by NeonLX

>>"...have yet to buy any vehicle with a foreign nameplate, not because of any racist tendencies..."<<

Sweet crap; you do NOT have to explain why you DON'T buy foreign brands, and if for some reason there was some call to, the reason could not realistically have anything to do with racism... anymore than a person who refuses to buy domestic is doing so because of racism.

-- -- -- -- --

The bridge loans don't hamper my attitude one bit. Far more non-stipulated taxpayer money went to banks which provide/build little more than a fees schedule designed specifically to fleece every person 'on the grid' in a concerted, unreasonable, monopolistic conspiracy.... yet nary a call to boycott any of the bailed out / taxpayer-bankrolled banks.

Sentiment run amok.

>>"You took my hard earned tax dollars without congressional approval. "<<

Wake up, a-hole! GM & Chrysler's profit is NOTHING compared to the cash-soaked party in the banking industry :

>>>"A study by the Associated Press says that executives at bailed out banks got $1.6 billion in salaries, bonuses, and other benefits — including cars, personal use of company jets, and country club memberships. The total amount given to nearly 600 banking executives would have covered bailout costs for many of the banks that accepted funds from the government, says the AP.

Goldman Sachs’ tab for leased cars and drivers ran as high as $233,000 per executive. The firm told its shareholders this year that financial counseling and chauffeurs are important in giving executives more time to focus on their jobs.

JPMorgan Chase chairman James Dimon ran up a $211,182 private jet travel tab last year when his family lived in Chicago and he was commuting to New York. The company got $25 billion in bailout funds.

John A. Thain, chief executive officer of Merrill Lynch, topped all corporate bank bosses with $83 million in earnings last year. Thain, a former chief operating officer for Goldman Sachs, took the reins of the company in December 2007, avoiding the blame for a year in which Merrill lost $7.8 billion. Since he began work late in the year, he earned $57,692 in salary, a $15 million signing bonus and an additional $68 million in stock options.

Like Goldman, Merrill got $10 billion from taxpayers on Oct. 28."<<<

Anyone here ever heard even a whisper of outcry against JPMorgan Chase for private jet travel ??? The CEO was COMMUTING by private jet. $25 BILLION forked over to JPMorgan.

Crickets chirping.

The people riding GM, Ford & Chrysler over petitioning for bridge loans MEANWHILE ignoring the banking situation ($34B vs. $350B to date) are agenda-driven idiots.

JPMorgan Chase chairman James Dimon ran up a $211,182 private jet travel tab last year when his family lived in Chicago and he was commuting to New York. The company got $25 billion in bailout funds.

Dude, Verizon Fios + IP Phone + Webcam..... seriously... just work from home.

Many of Chrysler's problems stem from the years of Mercedes butchering the company until little was left. All of the products besides the new Ram suffered from massive cost cutting. This put them in a bad situation from the start. There just hasn't been enough time for them to fix all of the damage done, because it takes time and money to fix or redesign products.

At any rate, these assholes seem ready to jump all over Chrysler for saying thank you, but have no problem with the banks being handed over $700 billion. It is America that should be thanking Chrysler, and GM and Ford for helping America though disasters, 911, and of course WWII, on top of all the people they employ allowing those employees to earn a decent living. Yet we America crucifies them for splitting $17 billion (or whatever the final number was) in loans.

Edited by Dodgefan

The thing that makes me sad is that we bitch about the economy but very few ever want to learn about why we go through economic cycles or how the economy works.

Complaining without educating ourselves, and blame shifting this whole thing to other will only make our nation poor in the long run.

Chris

Most people do not look beyond the headlines. - that's the bigger issue. The newspapers love to crap all over Detroit and since all the public sees is this one-sided argument, they draw their conclusions accordingly.

Let's hope GM and Chrysler make a big splash in 18 months or so and pay back those loans. Let's see what these ass clowns have to say about that.

Why does the public seem to accept GM as too big to fall, but hate Chrysler? I think the ad is good as long as the cost of doing such an ad is kept very cheep. Just print it in a few national news papers in the Sunday edition. Some of the postings on Chrysler's blog do make sense, a press conference would be free advertising for them.

Biggest problem is people are dumb and believe what they want to believe. Will rip on car industry and ignore all the issues with banking and stocks. Ignorance is bliss.

And, still, the grudge is from a car from 30+ years ago. The issues with car industry isn't about 'cars people want to buy', its people cant get loans to buy anything!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Chicagoland

My post

Many of Chrysler's problems stem from the years of Mercedes butchering the company until little was left. All of the products besides the new Ram suffered from massive cost cutting. This put them in a bad situation from the start. There just hasn't been enough time for them to fix all of the damage done, because it takes time and money to fix or redesign products.

At any rate, you all seem ready to jump all over Chrysler for saying thank you, but have no problem with the banks being handed over $700 billion. It is America that should be thanking Chrysler, and GM and Ford for helping America though disasters, 911, and of course WWII, on top of all the people they employ millions of people, allowing those employees to earn a decent living. Yet we Americans crucify them for splitting $17 billion (or whatever the final number was) in loans.

I for one am much happier seeing my money going to help companies that actually build something, to the last manufacturing industry this country has, than a bunch of paper pushing bankers who blow the money on subprime lending practices, are responsible for the financial meltdown, and don't even know where the money they were given has gone! But hey, keep wishing Detroit goes under while you buy your Japanese Camries. Just because it's built here doesn't make it American. If a company is based in Japan, or whatever other country, the profits go back there and benefit that company and that country. At least Japan protects its industries while we are happy to have it outsourced so we can buy cheap crap from Wal Mart at "low" prices.

If Detroit goes down then we as a country have nothing to show for ourselves except a bunch of bankers, lawyers, and Wal Mart and McDonalds workers. What a bright future that must be!

All I ask is that Chrysler continues to work its way back up, with designs that are once more class leading, with world class interiors, and new and advanced powertrains like the Phoenix V6 series.

Amen, Dodgefan. Amen.

And thanks, balthazar. I've been called "racist" elsewhere for my staunch support of the domestic industry. I can explain until I'm blue in the face...er, fingers about how my immediate family is multi-racial (whatever that means) but it doesn't go anywhere; I'm still some kind of bigot because I don't want to throw my $$$ at a German, or Japanese, or Korean, or ?? company if I can help it.

When I was still on the farm, we bought everything we could locally to keep people we knew employed. It was what you did in a small-town economy. Guess I still think in that rather quaint way. Old dog, new tricks and all that.

More and more, I can't read the comments after news articles because I get so infuriated. The Google Finance message boards for F & GM have been taken over by these clowns that spew their vitriol at any given moment, and yet 99% of it is skewed and misinformed ranting.

>>"I've been called "racist" elsewhere for my staunch support of the domestic industry. I can explain until I'm blue in the face...er, fingers about how my immediate family is multi-racial (whatever that means) but it doesn't go anywhere; I'm still some kind of bigot because I don't want to throw my $$$ at a German, or Japanese, or Korean, or ?? company if I can help it."<<

Sometimes I'm a glutton for punishment.

Care to link me to any of these places where this sort of talk is going on? I haven't rolled up my cyber sleeves in a while.

I mean really; what 'race' is America ???

If buying an American vehicle is racist, so is living in this country.

Edited by balthazar