New or used?

I figured with everything going on, this might be a good question to ask. I know quite a few people who normally buy new cars who haved just bought used cars (and an SUV).

Has thst stuff going on changed your plans on what you planned to buy?

Right now, it looks to be one new/one used.

I really would like to upgrade the wife into something bigger (and to carry more of Zack's stuff), so a used Nox, Torrent or Liberty look like good choices.....

As for me, A Cruze, Vibe (not sure why, as the wife no longer wants one), an Astra, and Mazda 3 (the new one) are on the current short list....

Buying a used car with less than 10K miles really makes a lot more sense than buying new if you want to save some money. Of course buying new means you can get exactly what you want most of the time and you don't have to worry about whether the car has been abused and whatnot, but a very low-mileage example is a great choice.

Case in point: search ebay for "2008 G8 GT" and you will find G8's with less than 15k miles on them for right around $20k. That's a price reduction of $13k on a $33k vehicle just because it has ~10k miles on it.

No not really for family. We will be picking up another GM (used) vehicle looking more and more like an 02-04 Cadillac Seville but it could be a 06-07 Monte Carlo, 07-up G5 or a 2000-2002 Firebird/Trans Am. Just depends I would say the Seville is at the top of the list followed by the Monte and G5.

Unless you order the car from the factory you'd be compromising anyway with what the dealers have on their lots. I may one day order a Cadillac from the factory but frankly with so many low mileage cars for dirt cheap there is no viable argument for buying new all the time.

Used, always. Let somebody else take the hit on devaluation.

Still looking for an '80s longbed stepside? Here's an 1984 GMC Sierra with 4WD and the 6.2l Diesel engine for sale in central NJ (in Allentown <NJ>, not far from the NJ Turnpike exit 7A):

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/974934411.html

I was very interested in looking into this, but I want to find something I can enjoy right away and not have to worry about where money is going to come from to make needed repairs to make it a driver.

Buying a used car with less than 10K miles really makes a lot more sense than buying new if you want to save some money. Of course buying new means you can get exactly what you want most of the time and you don't have to worry about whether the car has been abused and whatnot, but a very low-mileage example is a great choice.

Case in point: search ebay for "2008 G8 GT" and you will find G8's with less than 15k miles on them for right around $20k. That's a price reduction of $13k on a $33k vehicle just because it has ~10k miles on it.

Not a bad price for a G8....

I am considering buying a used full-size pickup or SUV. I would possibly be driving a used '05 GMC Yukon XL SLT right now if the AURA wasn't a factor (the dealership I went to could do nothing to aid in ridding me of the AURA payment-free, so I had to pass).

However, I want NEW and I like NEW. I like being the only person that has owned the vehicle. What is making me seriously consider USED is the fact that I can get something I want (i.e. full-size pickup or SUV) at an affordable price (for example, there is no way I can get a 2009 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4WD Z71 like I want NEW, but I could possibly get a gently used Sierra or Yukon XL instead). My problem is that I have 10 remaining payments on the AURA and the only way out of it for a USED vehicle is to pay those remaining payments (more like rolling those payments into a new loan). So I have to be patient and wait it out a little longer.

My last three cars have been "program" vehicles...Our current Malibu Maxx had 13K miles on the odometer when we bought it, while the Neon had 16K miles. Both cars had been in service for less than a year. I wound up paying just over half of the MSRP on the sticker. Both had full (remaining) factory warranties, and I added an extended warranty for the powertrain and A/C to the Neon that stretches out to 8 years and 80K miles.

I'm starting to like this way of acquiring cars.

Still looking for an '80s longbed stepside? Here's an 1984 GMC Sierra with 4WD and the 6.2l Diesel engine for sale in central NJ (in Allentown <NJ>, not far from the NJ Turnpike exit 7A):

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/974934411.html

I was very interested in looking into this, but I want to find something I can enjoy right away and not have to worry about where money is going to come from to make needed repairs to make it a driver.

Holy crap! It's perfect! The two-tone, the four wheel drive, diesel power, and the eight foot stepside bed! The fact that it's a GMC makes me want it even more! Wow, I need to find a way to get this.......

There was something on the news the other day about people keeping their old cars on the road instead of buying new or used. That makes sense for most people given the economy. Hyundai's new Hyundai Assurance deal might bring a few people in, they're willing to eat up to $7500 in negative equity if the buyer loses their income.

There was something on the news the other day about people keeping their old cars on the road instead of buying new or used. That makes sense for most people given the economy. Hyundai's new Hyundai Assurance deal might bring a few people in, they're willing to eat up to $7500 in negative equity if the buyer loses their income.

I just heard about that. Not sure if it is a good idea?

Most people would just drive the crap out of it in a few months then give it back....

I just heard about that. Not sure if it is a good idea?

Most people would just drive the crap out of it in a few months then give it back....

They require proof that the buyer involuntarily lost their income. Not like what Saturn and Dodge used to do, buy a car and if you dont like it, return it within 30 days and only pay mileage.

>>"Wow, I need to find a way to get this....... "<<

Allentown is only 30 minutes from me. Buy it, and you could store it at my place (outside) for a few months, XP, if that helps make the deal work for you.

Hell that's a deal I could not refuse.... nice offer. :)