RANK VEHICLE 2008 2007 '07 RANK % Chng

3 Toyota Camry 436,617 473,108 3 -7.7

4 Honda Accord 372,789 392,231 6 -5.0

7 Nissan Altima 269,668 284,762 9 -5.3

13 Chevrolet Malibu 178,253 128,312 26 +38.9

17 Ford Fusion 147,569 149,552 20 -1.3

18 Pontiac G6 140,240 150,001 28 -6.5

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews...20090105?rpc=44

Granted, it is still far behind in overall sales, but you can see a +50k unit improvement for the Malibu, 37k drop for the Camry, 20k drop for the Accord, and 15k drop for the Altima.

From a list of the top 20 selling vehicles for 2008:

RANK VEHICLE 2008 2007 '07 RANK % Chng

3 Toyota Camry 436,617 473,108 3 -7.7

4 Honda Accord 372,789 392,231 6 -5.0

7 Nissan Altima 269,668 284,762 9 -5.3

13 Chevrolet Malibu 178,253 128,312 26 +38.9

17 Ford Fusion 147,569 149,552 20 -1.3

18 Pontiac G6 140,240 150,001 28 -6.5

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews...20090105?rpc=44

Granted, it is still far behind in overall sales, but you can see a +50k unit improvement for the Malibu, 37k drop for the Camry, 20k drop for the Accord, and 15k drop for the Altima.

The Malibu is a huge improvement and one of the few bright spots for GM so I don't want to speak poorly of it. However what you posted wasn't "proof".

Grand Prix: -79,000

Ion: -48,000

Impala: -45,000

Lucerne: -28,000

DTS: -21,000

Monte Carlo: -15,000

Lacrosse: -11,000

G6: -10,000

That is -257,000. It would take only 1 in 5 of those people to buy a Malibu to make up the 50K.

Or perhaps some of the 650,000 less people that bought a GM truck last year bought a Malibu instead to save gas?

The Malibu is a huge improvement and one of the few bright spots for GM so I don't want to speak poorly of it. However what you posted wasn't "proof".

Grand Prix: -79,000

Ion: -48,000

Impala: -45,000

Lucerne: -28,000

DTS: -21,000

Monte Carlo: -15,000

Lacrosse: -11,000

G6: -10,000

That is -257,000. It would take only 1 in 5 of those people to buy a Malibu to make up the 50K.

Or perhaps some of the 650,000 less people that bought a GM truck last year bought a Malibu instead to save gas?

The only car on there that directly competes with the Malibu is the G6. Impala was down because of fewer models going to fleet.

was reading an excerpt from my friends automobile magazine. they had their all star list, 3 out of the 10 were domestics. ford flex the zr1 and for the second year in a row, the chevy malibu.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/awar...let_malibu.html

Not long before this issue of Automobile Magazine went to press, the CEOs of General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler testified at congressional bailout hearings, where they were excoriated for their respective firms' alleged unwillingness and inability to build safe, attractive, fuel-efficient cars that can compete with Japanese products. Clearly, Senator Richard Shelby (R-Alabama) and his esteemed but ill-informed colleagues on the Hill were not aware of the latest Chevy Malibu, a family sedan that is more enjoyable to drive than the Toyota Camry, better looking than the Honda Accord, and available with two different powertrains that deliver more than 30 mpg on the highway - a 2.4-liter four-cylinder mated to a six-speed automatic, and a gasoline/electric hybrid. Did we mention that the most important safety advance of the past twenty years, stability control, is newly standard on the Malibu but still optional on the Camry?

But there's no need to assemble a laundry list of the Malibu's strengths versus its many competitors. Just drive one, and you'll see why we've named it an Automobile Magazine All-Star for two years in a row, and why it's a family car that neither its maker nor its owners need apologize for. How did that happen? Because when GM set out to build a new generation of mass-market American sedans on its global Epsilon platform (the company prefers to call it an "architecture"), the development process started with the Pontiac G6, which is OK, advanced to the Saturn Aura, which is very good, and culminated with the Malibu, which debuted to acclaim for the 2008 model year. The additional time, quite frankly, gave GM additional opportunities to fuss over the details. The result is a sedan with crisp handling, communicative steering, a properly tuned ride, and an overall feeling of quality - especially in the handsome interior - that so often has escaped American sedans in the past. American car buyers have noticed. Perhaps America's leaders will do so, too.

-Joe DeMatio

Wen I was seeking a car for my mom I thought the Bu would make her a good car.

Now that she has it I have been able to spend a lot of time behind the wheel.

As they said in the Automobile "Drive It". I am impressed with this car and after driving it I would have no reservations of replacing the wifes GTP with this car. It shows me how bad my GTP really is.

This is the best all around sedan GM has ever built other than the CTS.

GXT makes a good point. though malibu's sales increase is a good one and apparently would show that GM is increasing market share in the midsize market, in order for thier to be proof the malibu is eating share from the others we'd have to have a multi-year trend. this year the only thing those decreased sales for the other three seem to prove is that there were less people buying cars. malibu's increased numbers do however show that more people were willing to look at the car. hopefully more will buy it next year.

they should be readying an MCE after next year to include the new 2.4 and 3.0 DI so long as they get increased mileage. also they should look into introing the new radio/hvac units and perhaps updating interior colors and maybe changing the rear taillights to something slightly more dramatic and upscale. what we saw in the drawing not too long ago might work well if they were to use good looking lenses and tech like LEDs...I'm thinking Corvair, that is one sweet looking rear end.

The only car on there that directly competes with the Malibu is the G6. Impala was down because of fewer models going to fleet.

The Grand Prix doesn't compete with the Malibu? GM is going bankrupt and they are reducing their fleet sales? None of the 650,000 lost GM "truck" sales went to a Malibu?

was reading an excerpt from my friends automobile magazine. they had their all star list, 3 out of the 10 were domestics. ford flex the zr1 and for the second year in a row, the chevy malibu.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/awar...let_malibu.html

... a family sedan that is more enjoyable to drive than the Toyota Camry, better looking than the Honda Accord, and available with two different powertrains that deliver more than 30 mpg on the highway - a 2.4-liter four-cylinder mated to a six-speed automatic, and a gasoline/electric hybrid. Did we mention that the most important safety advance of the past twenty years, stability control, is newly standard on the Malibu but still optional on the Camry?

Ack.

Anyone who does these kinds of comparisons deserves to be shot. Alongside the consumer who buys into it. Let me translate it:

"... a family sedan that is less enjoyable to drive than the Altima or the Accord, worse looking than the Camry and the Altima, worse real-world fuel economy than the Accord (4cyl and V6), Altima (4cyl), and Camry (v6), worse acceleration than the Altima, no MT available, and a hybrid model that gets only 1MPG better fuel economy than the non-hybrid Accord. etc"

The Grand Prix doesn't compete with the Malibu? GM is going bankrupt and they are reducing their fleet sales? None of the 650,000 lost GM "truck" sales went to a Malibu?

The Grand Prix went out of production. But I could see a large number of those lost Impala sales going to the Malibu.

You're an ass. I am loathe to insult people, but if you think the Grand Prix competes with the Malibu, then you know less about cars than you do about who your wife is sleeping with.

My one Grand Prix owner I've had lately bought a Camaro.

The Grand Prix wouldn't even compete with the Impala, and they're on the same platform.

For Gawd's sake, if your going to keep making your negative remarks, at least make sense.

In the spirit of your post, why don't you actually think about what is being posted instead of just attacking me?

You first with the thinking.

Monte Carlo, Ion, and Grand Prix are out of production.

Impala, during the past year, did much better than expected with retail sales, much of the decline was in fleet sales.

Lucerne and DTS aren't even close to the same class as the Malibu, no one walked out of a Cadillac dealer after seriously considering a DTS and went to buy a Malibu.

Only the G6 and maybe the Lacrosse fit your argument, but both are at the end of their lives anyway. And if Pontiac or Buick are going to lose a sale, I'd much rather them lose the sale to Chevy than to Nissan, Honda, or Toyota. That's what having multiple brands is all about isn't it?

Ack.

Anyone who does these kinds of comparisons deserves to be shot. Alongside the consumer who buys into it. Let me translate it:

"... a family sedan that is less enjoyable to drive than the Altima or the Accord, worse looking than the Camry and the Altima, worse real-world fuel economy than the Accord (4cyl and V6), Altima (4cyl), and Camry (v6), worse acceleration than the Altima, no MT available, and a hybrid model that gets only 1MPG better fuel economy than the non-hybrid Accord. etc"

It's great that you can see the worst in anything good written about GM. The article didn't say any of that. Most articles rate the Malibu as the best looking of the bunch and consider the Malibu a pleasure to drive. You're just grasping as straws to say anything negative about GM.

Stop trolling or be banned.