320-hp, twin-turbo Opel Insignia spied ahead of Geneva debut

insignia-vxr-spy.jpg

General Motors\' Opel division has been hard at work on a performance version of its hot new Insignia, the reigning European Car of the Year, and the first spy shot – probably snapped on someone\'s camera phone – has surfaced online. To be sold as the Vauxhall Insignia VXR in the UK and as the Opel Insignia OPC in Europe, the car is reported to have lapped the vaunted Nürburgring Nordschleife in a hair over eight minutes, which is a blistering fast time for a relatively large hatch.

The hot Insignia evidently wears big 20-inch wheels with concave dark spokes and chrome accents, wrapped in 255/35 R20 rubber and capped by bulging wheel arches. All four contact patches are in use to put down the anticipate 320 horsepower from the twin-turbo V6, while big air vents borrowed from the sharp-lookin\' Opel GTC Concept help the drivetrain get the wind it needs. Hatchback, sedan and wagon variants are all expected to be part of the mix. We\'re hoping to see this bad boy in pre-production preview form this March at the Geneva Motor Show, with the full production version to follow in the Spring at the Frankfurt Auto Show. But more than that, we\'re quietly hoping to see it Stateside as the successor to the V8-powered Buick LaCrosse Super (known as the Allure in Canada due to a certain unsavory Quebecois slang conflict). We can hope, can\'t we?

Source: Autoblog

Would that be the 3.0 V6 with turbos? Or the old 2.8 with boost turned up? Although Ford has a 355 hp turbo V6 and awd set up, but neither are driving the rear wheels, so people that really want performance are probably going to look for rear drive.

Would that be the 3.0 V6 with turbos? Or the old 2.8 with boost turned up? Although Ford has a 355 hp turbo V6 and awd set up, but neither are driving the rear wheels, so people that really want performance are probably going to look for rear drive.

That's what AWD is for. You seem to forget that Audi's platforms are FWD bias, even the performance versions. However they have AWD to help with that...and yes people want them.

That's what AWD is for. You seem to forget that Audi's platforms are FWD bias, even the performance versions. However they have AWD to help with that...and yes people want them.

Audi has a longitudinally mounted engine (this is transversely mounted), therefore the weight balance is close to 55/45 in the A4 and A6, and the A8 is a rear drive car. Audi's don't perform as well as a BMW. My mom drives an Audi, I've driven it, and some BMWs, and the BMWs are far superior in driving dynamics, it isn't even that close really.

Edited by smk4565

I'd like to read posters' opinions: wouldn't that make a nice 21st Century Buick Regal GNX?

Not enough people want a performance Buick, especially a front wheel drive one. A turbo 3.0 V6 could be useful in the LaCrosse since it is large and even with the 3.6 DI posts a 6.9 second 0-60 time; the turbo model could get that down to 6.3-6.5 seconds to attract those who want a little bit of performance and prevent those shoppers from going to Acura or Lincoln. Also since it seems that AWD isn't offered with the 3.6 engine, they could offer it with the turbo engine.

Audi has a longitudinally mounted engine (this is transversely mounted), therefore the weight balance is close to 55/45 in the A4 and A6, and the A8 is a rear drive car. Audi's don't perform as well as a BMW. My mom drives an Audi, I've driven it, and some BMWs, and the BMWs are far superior in driving dynamics, it isn't even that close really.

O RLY?

From edmunds:

The RS 4 is enormous fun, and a much more engaging drive on our favorite roads than the M5. There's an honesty to the RS 4, a willingness to play that cannot be elucidated by bench-racing its specification sheet.

In comparison, there's a sense of artificiality to the BMW M5, even as fleet and composed as it is. Maybe it's the extreme measures taken by BMW's engineers to keep their 4,000-pound sedan from not feeling like one, but after driving the RS 4, the M5 felt strangely detached from the road. Fast, but aloof.

Now before you start showing your ignorance. Just for record Audi A8 is either a FWD or a FWD-biased Quattro. It is NOT a RWD. Say it loud with me, A8 is not a RWD.

Secondly, while the way the engine is mounted has to do with the weight balance, weight distribution is also the function of wheel base and the relation of the engine with respect to the wheel axles. So a transversely placed engine further away from front axle will have more equal weight distribution compared to a longitudnally mounted engine which is closer to the front axle.

And finally we are not talking about phucking BMW's here.

And just to prove the source: straight from Audi's German website:

Antriebsart- Frontantrieb

You do that translation because I know what it means.

opel is in a lower pricebracket than the highly optioned (and overpriced for what you get) BMW's. and no one buys a bmw, they lease it because they don't want to be stuck with it when the maintenance contract is done.

Now before you start showing your ignorance. Just for record Audi A8 is either a FWD or a FWD-biased Quattro. It is NOT a RWD. Say it loud with me, A8 is not a RWD.

The A8 was never offered in front drive, they are all Quattro standard. It shares a platform with the dead Pheaton and the Bentley Continental, no one is going to tell me the Bentley Continental is a front driver with it's 600 hp, 12 cylinder. That is a rear drive style platform, engine and transmission set up with a permanent awd system.

My original point was that the 320 hp turbo V6 in a front driver with an awd system is fine for a Buick that is just trying to keep 0-60 under 7 seconds and compete better with Acura or Lincoln (or the Taurus SHO), but it isn't a performance car, or worthy of the GNX name or anything like that.

The A8 was never offered in front drive, they are all Quattro standard. It shares a platform with the dead Pheaton and the Bentley Continental, no one is going to tell me the Bentley Continental is a front driver with it's 600 hp, 12 cylinder. That is a rear drive style platform, engine and transmission set up with a permanent awd system.

My original point was that the 320 hp turbo V6 in a front driver with an awd system is fine for a Buick that is just trying to keep 0-60 under 7 seconds and compete better with Acura or Lincoln (or the Taurus SHO), but it isn't a performance car, or worthy of the GNX name or anything like that.

:bs:

Are you saying that the information which Audi posts on its own website is incorrect?

As a matter of fact 2.8L and 3.0L A8 are offered in FWD, the models with 3.2 and above are offered in Quattro, please check.

May be I am misunderstood, or my German is getting really jaded. :rolleyes:

Bentley Continentals do not have a RWD option. They are only available in 4WD and have their own D1 platform which they share with the Phateton. D1 is different from the D3 platform which underpins the A8. Arnage, Azure and Brooklands are the ones having FR configuration.

You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you? I think this habit of you pulling things out of your ass is becoming rather cliche'.

I don't think it makes sense as a Buick. too aggressive in image and performance. Buick seems more about relaxed pressure...a smooth torquey V8 to get you there, or a large V6 engine. just more about relaxed cruising, which is what the Velite was all about, for me the perfect expression of Buick's heritage and principles [no, I'll never let that one go].

this makes a lot more sense at Pontiac, euro styling and all. however, this performance edition would be nice to have stateside, and i hope the insignia as a buick doesn't get dumbed down at all. rather see a great european model that drives wonderfully but doesn't fit perfectly at the brand, than some numb atrocious total quality product.

That nose is a winner... nice styling.

the grille design and intakes are having an intersting impact on the front end design. this is really good looking. it also looks like the hood has been modified to change the appearance of the headlamps, either that or this is not the same insignia sedan. could this be the coupe?

Not enough people want a performance Buick, especially a front wheel drive one. A turbo 3.0 V6 could be useful in the LaCrosse since it is large and even with the 3.6 DI posts a 6.9 second 0-60 time; the turbo model could get that down to 6.3-6.5 seconds to attract those who want a little bit of performance and prevent those shoppers from going to Acura or Lincoln. Also since it seems that AWD isn't offered with the 3.6 engine, they could offer it with the turbo engine.

Since you've already been fisked by other users about your stupidly inaccurate A8 information but I want you to think about this next one for a second.

Do you really think people cross shopping Acura, Lincoln, and Buick are going to care if the car gets to 60 in 6.9 seconds instead of 6.3?

Since you've already been fisked by other users about your stupidly inaccurate A8 information but I want you to think about this next one for a second.

Do you really think people cross shopping Acura, Lincoln, and Buick are going to care if the car gets to 60 in 6.9 seconds instead of 6.3?

Perhaps not, so there is no need for this engine in a Buick then. But isn't awd offered only with the 3 liter? The 3 liter awd is 0-60 in 8 seconds, so they may care about that when an MKZ is 6.5 or so.

So you all might flag me, whip me etc. But to me GM needs to just Kill the Buick and Pontiac label here in NA and sell or close down the money loosing Saturn.

To survive and grow, GM should only be a 3 tier Auto Company.

Entry level auto's = Chevy

Mid Level auto's = GMC

Luxury Level auto's = Cadillac.

That is all that needs to be. Rebadge existing auto's so you have a mid lux GMC car, Mid Lux performance and mid Lux Trucks.

For those that would point out that Buick is big in China, I say your Right, so in China we have Buick with Buick Trucks, No GMC in China.

You can run a 3 Tier product catalog with differant names so that you play to the strengths that names have in the various markets, but it would be clear to see what level each product came from. This way if someone from Chine did move to NA, then they go from buying Buick to GMC.

Makes the best sense and saves a ton of money as you end up with just 3 marketing groups which will save on the much wider printing of docs, marketing etc due to the 6 current names in the US.

Edited by dfelt

not many acuras have ever topped those numbers anyways. i always figured acura buyers just wanted a tarted up fit or accord.

Your German is in perfect shape. There are a couple of FWD A8s offered.

i specifically recall the a8 being available with fwd, i know this because i seriously considered getting one a few years ago.

depreciation? you want to talk torrential depreciation, go look at the A8. and they call GM cars rentals.

i still think a lot of GM's mid tier decision rests on the saturn vs pontiac dilemma. i think they want to kill saturn, or they want to kill pontiac. but can't. i think personally doing either would not hurt me as long as my only GM mid tier offering is a buick. i would prefer a saturn or pontiac to a buick. to be relegated to a chevy and shut out of cadillac is not the choice i want.