Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Oh What a Feeling...

gm4life

LoL @ the CK-toyopet.

Ohhh man god people are really this stupid.

That sci-fi looking van craze is in Japan..don't know if it's here yet. Of course, the US had it's own share of often hideously customized vans 30-35 years ago.

One interesting van trend in Japan in recent years I've read about is some company there making custom front ends that look like scaled down '70s Chevy and Dodge vans, to fit on tiny Toyota, Nissan, etc vans..

Check out this van from Dream Factory Blow--looks like a scaled down '80s Chevy van grille.

er1.jpg

Or this '60s Dodge look..

pr1.jpg

or this '70s one..

sr3.jpg

How about a '69 Blazer front look for your Toyota bB?

fr1.jpg

Japan fascinates me...

And of course, real American vans are big in Japan...

van12.jpg

More on Japanese van culture..

Vanning in Japan

Kinda neat to see them take care of these things, nearly all of them stateside are beat to hell and/or in the junkyard.

Compared to what ricers do to their Civics this is pretty tasteful.

That sci-fi looking van craze is in Japan..don't know if it's here yet. Of course, the US had it's own share of often hideously customized vans 30-35 years ago.

Yea.... thanks, but this has been covered here more than once (not to mention readily google-able); I think we all know the poop on these.

And you're missing the point of this thread as you get all :scratchchin: & rush in to get the thousandth retalitory dig at the domestics.

FWIW, the '70s U.S. van craze produced nothing remotely close to these monstrosities, but as a 'child of the '80s' you already know that.

I know, I know; I just don't.... 'understand' the 'culture'. :rolleyes:

crazy_japanese_van.jpg

Yup, this & double shag carpet & a teardrop side window = virtual tie.

Edited by balthazar

Yea.... thanks, but this has been covered here more than once (not to mention readily google-able); I think we all know the poop on these.

And you're missing the point of this thread as you get all :scratchchin: & rush in to get the thousandth retalitory dig at the domestics.

FWIW, the '70s U.S. van craze produced nothing remotely close to these monstrosities, but as a 'child of the '80s' you already know that.

Yup, this & double shag carpet & a teardrop side window = virtual tie.

Ok, maybe it was covered here previously...I forgot to consult with you, oh great expert on everything automotive. Why don't you lighten up and realize people other than yourself can contribute to threads??? And the US van craze in the '70s definitely had some monstrosities of this scale...I've seen pics of metalflake candy orange vans w/ gullwing doors, etc...

Or something like this...

Edited by moltar

Sooo... a gullwing door = 7 foot tall roof 'blades'.

OooooooooK.

>>"the US van craze in the '70s definitely had some monstrosities of this scale..."<<

Would LOVE to see some pics....

Whatever...I'm sure you have pictures in your files, since you seem to know everything there is know about automotive history...

If you think about it, that purple thing is pretty spectacular. A lot of design and engineering went into it, not like the redneck monstrosities you find here, with people making 4x4 Firebirds and whatnot. Could that time and those resources have been put to better use? Yep, but I for one am glad they weren't, it gives crotchety old men something else to complain about while they're mixing their Metamucil and Geritol cocktails.

If you think about it, that purple thing is pretty spectacular. A lot of design and engineering went into it, not like the redneck monstrosities you find here, with people making 4x4 Firebirds and whatnot. Could that time and those resources have been put to better use? Yep, but I for one am glad they weren't, it gives crotchety old men something else to complain about while they're mixing their Metamucil and Geritol cocktails.

Yes, they are pretty wild. Speaking of customized Toyotas, I'm really surprised I haven't yet seen any tuner-style or other modded Priuses....must be because they mostly sell to people that aren't car people. Though I remember the 6dr one and the convertible, those are mild though.

A quick search turned up this custom Prius, which was done by George Barris--pretty mild compared to the outrageous stuff he did 40+ years ago:

priusproboscis.jpg

Edited by moltar