Truly awful day for me

While I was out working today, Arkus pulled his Houdini act and got out of his crate.

There was a terrible dogfight, and now I have two injured dogs.

Zora really got the worst of it.

Now I have to decide which one will be leaving, and figure out how the hell I'm going to make that happen.

F'ing hell!

Damn. Sorry to hear that Camino. :(

Truly a cringe worthy post.

Wow... I can relate...my Mom has a similar problem with her two Australian Cattle Dogs, they don't play nice.

In my reality, with 4 terriers at home (total weight-65lbs), everything was copacetic...could go off to work, leave the dog door open, they would hang out in the house or the back yard all day.

After we got the Yorkie puppy last fall, though, Nauti (the 10 yr old, 13lb Australian Terrier) who was used to being the diva (she's a retired show dog) and center of attention, started stalking the puppy, even bit her on the leg once. Now I have to keep them separated when I'm not home, so the 3lb puppy (Ginger, aka Baby Beast) is locked in my bedroom w/ water and food in the bathroom during the day, and Nauti (aka Bitey Beast) is in the rest of the house w/ the Silky and 2 Westies that she gets along ok with. And in the evening, it's always a matter of watching to make sure Bitey isn't stalking Baby.. :)

maybe you can plead with ceasar to help hehe... or better yet

2008690423.jpg

ms victoria stilwell. those riding pants she wears all the time are rediculous. plus when she is in britain doing the show she drives an e type although its a less favorable year, in america she sports a vette.

dog fights suck though. i have 2 but they get along well. they have spats but dont draw blood. i have friends though that watch thier dogs like a hawk... as soon as they start staring they split em up. are they fixed?

That happened to me a few months ago. I had roommates staying with me, and they had a boxer. Usually he got along with my dogs fine, but he kept getting more aggressive, and him and my pit bull went at it. My pit bull wouldn't fight back though, and it seems like he thinks he's the protector of the other dogs. He even pinned the boxer down multiple times, but always backed off. I ended up having to take him to get his face stitched up at 3 am. I'm glad the roommates and their dog is gone now though.

Camino, the fight aftermath had to be traumatic, but is there any way you can reconsider sending one of your dogs away? I know you've done what you can to keep them from hurting each other, but is there maybe some other way to ensure they cannot get to each other when you're not there?

I think you share my belief that a commitment to a pet should be for the lifetime of that pet. It would wrench my heart out if I thought it had to come to this. Please let us know what you decide, and I hope their injuries heal quickly.

Dogs will be dogs. Try walking them together. Let them know who is boss. Pick one to be "higher" in the pack and remain consistent.

If that does not work shock collars or a less invasive conditioning method could work if it's not too late.

maybe you can plead with ceasar to help hehe... or better yet

2008690423.jpg

ms victoria stilwell. those riding pants she wears all the time are rediculous. plus when she is in britain doing the show she drives an e type although its a less favorable year, in america she sports a vette.

dog fights suck though. i have 2 but they get along well. they have spats but dont draw blood. i have friends though that watch thier dogs like a hawk... as soon as they start staring they split em up. are they fixed?

I'm pretty sure a dog isn't the only animal thats been on a leash in Victoria's house.

Camino, the fight aftermath had to be traumatic, but is there any way you can reconsider sending one of your dogs away? I know you've done what you can to keep them from hurting each other, but is there maybe some other way to ensure they cannot get to each other when you're not there?

I think you share my belief that a commitment to a pet should be for the lifetime of that pet. It would wrench my heart out if I thought it had to come to this. Please let us know what you decide, and I hope their injuries heal quickly.

You are exactly right, Ocn, I do believe just that. I have taken temporary measures to keep them apart, but Arkus always seems to eventually up the ante, and I just can't allow that to happen.

I can't in good conscience let this continue.

To Longtooth: I felt the same way about cages until the first time I cage-trained a dog. Admittedly, this case is a bit different since we are well past the training period. However, Arkus really does consider the crate to be his home. He just went a bit ballistic on Sunday for some reason, and that sort of hyper behavior led to Monday's disaster. What really sucks is that all of this happened after a prolonged period of improvement in Arkus' behavior and an increased level of me being able to trust him outside by himself. All of that seems to be for naught now.

You are exactly right, Ocn, I do believe just that. I have taken temporary measures to keep them apart, but Arkus always seems to eventually up the ante, and I just can't allow that to happen.

I can't in good conscience let this continue.

To Longtooth: I felt the same way about cages until the first time I cage-trained a dog. Admittedly, this case is a bit different since we are well past the training period. However, Arkus really does consider the crate to be his home. He just went a bit ballistic on Sunday for some reason, and that sort of hyper behavior led to Monday's disaster. What really sucks is that all of this happened after a prolonged period of improvement in Arkus' behavior and an increased level of me being able to trust him outside by himself. All of that seems to be for naught now.

Perhaps a sacrificial cat would help them bond? Maybe a large cat forcing them to work together would help the process.

If that fails just make sure you lock the crate next time.

FWIW the dogs do see the crate as their home. Like you have a bedroom that's theirs.

Perhaps a sacrificial cat would help them bond? Maybe a large cat forcing them to work together would help the process.

If that fails just make sure you lock the crate next time.

FWIW the dogs do see the crate as their home. Like you have a bedroom that's theirs.

The crate has been "locked" with heavy C-clamps and chains for at least a year and a half. Arkus somehow managed to stuff his bulk through the too small openings in the bottom!

He is Houdini.

Nothing can contain him forever, it seems.

On the cage thing, dogs tend to have a "nesting" spot, so I can easily see a dog taking to a crate, in fact, my mom's Bijon loves hers. I could never ask a dog of mine to learn a crate, though. I guess growing up on a farm where our dogs could always have free run shaped my position on this. Camino, your many reasons are certainly valid for crating, of course.

On the cage thing, dogs tend to have a "nesting" spot, so I can easily see a dog taking to a crate, in fact, my mom's Bijon loves hers. I could never ask a dog of mine to learn a crate, though. I guess growing up on a farm where our dogs could always have free run shaped my position on this. Camino, your many reasons are certainly valid for crating, of course.

I'm a big fan of crate training, but I never intended to use it past that point.

As you say though, circumstances make it necessary.

Being someone who has bred and shown dogs for 25 years, I can tell you that crating your dog provides the dog a safe place that is all their own, much like your bedroom. If you do not punish the dog to the crate, or make it a place where he is unhappy, then dogs are perfectly happy to go to their crate. You know you have trained them to their crate successfully when they go sleep in their crate when you are home and the door is open.

Camino, if its been so long, you should try to place one dog. Some dogs are very aggressive. They need special training. A dog that attacks another is a hazard, and if you make the choice in placing him I would contact the local rescue group for that breed. They will be able to help you.

Good luck, and PM me if you have any other questions or need help finding a rescue group for whatever breed your dogs are.

K.C.

It's a sin to cage an animal.

Just a belief of mine.

Being someone who has bred and shown dogs for 25 years, I can tell you that crating your dog provides the dog a safe place that is all their own, much like your bedroom. If you do not punish the dog to the crate, or make it a place where he is unhappy, then dogs are perfectly happy to go to their crate. You know you have trained them to their crate successfully when they go sleep in their crate when you are home and the door is open.

Camino, if its been so long, you should try to place one dog. Some dogs are very aggressive. They need special training. A dog that attacks another is a hazard, and if you make the choice in placing him I would contact the local rescue group for that breed. They will be able to help you.

Good luck, and PM me if you have any other questions or need help finding a rescue group for whatever breed your dogs are.

K.C.

Thanks for the offer,KC.

This is a case of rampant sibling rivalry, niether dog is aggressive generally. They have only ever growled at each other (not other dogs or humans).

That said, I think you are right that one of them needs to be placed.

I hate this, but I have to do what's right.

I'll be looking for options as I go forward.

Thanks for the offer,KC.

This is a case of rampant sibling rivalry, niether dog is aggressive generally. They have only ever growled at each other (not other dogs or humans).

That said, I think you are right that one of them needs to be placed.

I hate this, but I have to do what's right.

I'll be looking for options as I go forward.

Dogs are pack animals and sounds like they can't determine their place. It would take discipline on both parts but if you really rather not give one up you can try helping establish their role in your herd. There is always the possibility that can never happen. Good luck.

Dogs are pack animals and sounds like they can't determine their place. It would take discipline on both parts but if you really rather not give one up you can try helping establish their role in your herd. There is always the possibility that can never happen. Good luck.

Thanks.

Yes, I think this case is beyond cure. What I have learned (after the fact) indicates that the problem stems from them being littermates. I wish I had known about that from the start.