Cobalt Cometh to Cory

Oh, and if I so desired while I was sitting their listening to my Infinity sound system, I could, if I so desire, press a switch and watch the glass magically rise up from the doors, or go down depending on the temperature outside. And when I was finally done I could get out and press a button and lock the doors. Of course If I happened to forget something, I could press another button and unlock them again. :smilewide:

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just made love to my Smartkey after using my navigation system to find the nearest Wal-Mart to buy some lubricant. On the way over I powered my windows up and down and listened to The Strokes on my JBL soundsystem. And I used less than half a gallon of gas on the 20 mile drive.

Oh, and if I so desired while I was sitting their listening to my Infinity sound system, I could, if I so desire, press a switch and watch the glass magically rise up from the doors, or go down depending on the temperature outside. And when I was finally done I could get out and press a button and lock the doors. Of course If I happened to forget something, I could press another button and unlock them again. :smilewide:

Maybe so, but BV doesn't need a new engine! :neenerneener:

I knew that was coming. :lol:

But at the same token...he's gone through 3 cars while I'm still on the same one..and I can still drive it. :wink:

Seriously, though, it looks good. Has 3k more miles than my Millenia too. We should race, then bet on which will last longer. Haha.. :D

Just what YOU need: "ARREST ME RED" :lol:

Congrats. Is it a manual...?

As far as the manual locks being a pain, it's a TWO door. Geeeze. :rolleyes:

As far as the manual locks being a pain, it's a TWO door. Geeeze. :rolleyes:

And reaching over to the other side of car to unlock and lock the door? Yes, it's a pain, with 2 or 4 doors. I don't mind cranking the windows up or down or most of the other non-luxuries, but those manual locks are a big inconvenience when you carry expensive electronics in the car on a daily basis. My doors are always locked when I'm not in the car.

So don't UNLOCK the pass door at ALL if it's just YOU.

& if you have a passenger then you have someone

who can lock it for you. :wink:

So I'm assuming it's an automatic....?

So don't UNLOCK the pass door at ALL if it's just YOU.

& if you have a passenger then you have someone

who can lock it for you. :wink:

So I'm assuming it's an automatic....?

I don't. However, with passengers, you still have to unlock the door to let the passenger in to even be able to lock it for you on the way out. :P

Yes, it's a dirty, $h!ty, fun-shattered slushbox.

Edited by blackviper8891

The expression "you get what you pay for" resonates here.

Certain things are NOT universal.

My mom constantly moans about the lack of power windows & locks in her Cobalt, a 4 door. She'd like to be able to manipulate the passenger front window for her dog when they go tooling around. I get it. It would be so much more convenient.

Vipes, to be real, this Cobalt is really good for you. You should have no worries as far as reliability goes for several years. Just take care of it and it should take care of you, at least for a few years until you accumulate some more wealth.

Just take care of it and it should take care of you, at least for a few years until you accumulate some more wealth.

Hope springs eternal.

(that was not a jab at Cory so much as my lack of faith in the "economic recovery")

Vipes, to be real, this Cobalt is really good for you. You should have no worries as far as reliability goes for several years. Just take care of it and it should take care of you, at least for a few years until you accumulate some more wealth.

I would think so. Though, it needing something already, though relatively minor, doesn't bode too well for it. Let's hope it's the first and last.

Video: Youtube - Cory's New Cobalt.

I just realized how gay I sound, as well. I am such a fag, it's not even funny. Why god, why?! :P

Interesting... I always thought about starting a C&G "What do you sound like?" thread.

I don't sound that far off from you--just a little less thang in my voice, a hair deeper, and of course, my occasional Long Guyland/New Yawk City accents that pop out.

I just realized how gay I sound, as well. I am such a fag, it's not even funny. Why god, why?! :P

Lucky you. You sound better than I do. I hate the way I sound when I talk.

What happened to the Jetta III anyway?

That's so sad!

Edited by MyerShift

Well for once its nice to hear you saying something other than "LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!"

Pfft.

Wow, could you sound any more ecstatic about owning it?

I could barely contain all the enthusiasm I felt... Any more and, oh boy, my voice might have changed pitch by a hair. :P

I hate the way I sound too, although I may actually talk when I do another video walk around of my car.

His Jetta played chicken with a snow plow and lost, essentially.

Ohh! Well I am so glad that Cory's okay!

1,145 mile update.

The transmission is an absolute dog. It's horrible. Gaps in gearing the size of the grand canyon, a completely reluctancy to downshift, morbid response to throttle changes and a completely poor use of the engine's power range. Seriously, it is the worst transmission to use on a daily basis in hilly northwestern PA. It will bog down 10 mph before it will downshift, even after increasing the throttle to 50% or so. Around 70%, it will finally be forced to kick down a gear and once it does, it's a vast difference. Third gear is a much happier place for the engine. In fact, the Cobalt's third ratio is pretty much spot on for the Jetta's fourth ratio. It might be geared just a bit higher, but not by much. As such, once it's in fourth, there is no power. It's the definition of an overdrive ratio. The problem: It's stubborn, it will stay in that ratio until the variables that affect it are vastly different, making it utterly useless. Unless you're living in Kansas with the sharpest slope you travel rising a single foot for every mile, that is.

The seats, I've found to not be that comfortable. They're not horrible, but they lack support, especially for the lower torso. Course, I'm used to seats that aren't designed to somewhat accommodate large, overweight Americans and frankly, VW knows it's seats. I also wish there were more of a natural lumbar support. Adjustable or not, it needs one as the seat back feels flat. After longer drives, my mid-lower back tends to take all the strain of the trip. Also, one odd thing I noticed is that only the passenger has a quick-flip lever for raising the seat back to enter into the back.

Otherwise, there's not much to add that hasn't already been spoken of. The squeaks, random other rattles and whatnot are still there and I've yet to have the bushings taken care of. One of these days when I actually have the time...

In conclusion, it's still a Cobalt. :P

Edited by blackviper8891

I've been holding out hope that it grows on me to a point where I'm not so indifferent about it. I honestly thought that this was a vehicle where GM got its act together with, to most degrees. Such inadequacies, to me, are disappointing. Especially in the case of that transmission. It's nothing more than the typical 4-speed slushbox, however... It befits a '90s Buick. It's so lethargic. It's the biggest detriment to this car. The rest of it is really quite decent. It's not terribly exciting or soul inspiring, but it works and works well.

To note, I haven't actually driven a good automatic since the Millenia.

yeah, those seats were primarily why I stayed away from the Cobalt. They totally suck. Except in the SS Turbo!

Video: Youtube - Cory's New Cobalt.

you're being hard on yourself. i've seen and heard much gayer. your manner of speaking is fine, your intonnation is mostly flat, your tone is on the deeper and more controlled end of things, and delivery/mannerisms is far from homosexual, at least from what i can tell of your personal vid. sorry for going so deep in analysis, just my way. :lol: at myself

anywho, good for you on the cobalt getting something practical and hopefully [probably] reliable

Now see I am comfortable in my Cobalt seats. The longest trip I've taken so far was to DC, and I was comfortable. Heck, one of the reasons I looked closer at a Cobalt was the pleasant, comfortable, quiet ride of my mom's '05 base automatic sedan to Maryland last year. Speaking of, I'm taking mom to Maryland in my car later this morning, so I'm going to report back on my impressions. I know she, at age 64, will moan about ease of ingress/egress. The 2-door Echo she had before her Cobalt was easier for her, it was a 2-door with higher seats, bigger door opening, etc.

Vipes, can't you just leave the gearshift in 3rd gear, to alleviate the overdrive issue on your hilly back roads? I understand what you're saying, but the transmission in your car is geared and programmed for maximum economy, not maximum fun. No need to move to Kansas and hope for a tornado to carry it away.

EDIT: I agree with turbo on the whole voice thing. You sound fine, don't fret, li'l bro!

Edited by ocnblu

Now see I am comfortable in my Cobalt seats. The longest trip I've taken so far was to DC, and I was comfortable. Heck, one of the reasons I looked closer at a Cobalt was the pleasant, comfortable, quiet ride of my mom's '05 base automatic sedan to Maryland last year. Speaking of, I'm taking mom to Maryland in my car later this morning, so I'm going to report back on my impressions. I know she, at age 64, will moan about ease of ingress/egress. The 2-door Echo she had before her Cobalt was easier for her, it was a 2-door with higher seats, bigger door opening, etc.

Vipes, can't you just leave the gearshift in 3rd gear, to alleviate the overdrive issue on your hilly back roads? I understand what you're saying, but the transmission in your car is geared and programmed for maximum economy, not maximum fun. No need to move to Kansas and hope for a tornado to carry it away.

EDIT: I agree with turbo on the whole voice thing. You sound fine, don't fret, li'l bro!

I agree with you on the seats. Granted, I have the leather, but I have spent some time with the cloth seats and didn't find their level of support/comfort substantially different from mine. I took my car from here to Cortland, NY (~5 hours) and had absolutely no problem with the seats. They have just the right amount of support without being too hard.

There is no 3rd gear on the autos. There's only 1, 2, and D (overdrive). And there's no way to turn it off. I have no such complaints about the automatic, though I essentially live on flat land and BV's hometown is much more hilly. I can count the number of times on my fingers where I felt my tranny was caught sleeping.