FAIL: Multi-level Parking in NYC

carmess_opt.jpg

We saw plenty of these multi-level parking structures during our trip to NYC this past week, and even commented on how their space efficiency would work well in our own cities where giant parking garages dominate the landscape. Perhaps we spoke too soon.

Autoblog reader Mel spotted this scene just around the corner from the Jacob Javits Center where the 2009 New York Auto Show is being held. The multi-level steel parking structure evidently failed, sending a Lexus GS sliding down on top of a Land Rover and the front end of an also-raised Honda Accord. The kicker? A 1998 Chrysler Town and Country and older Camry sit just outside the frame unscathed. The Ford Edge that just happened to be parked on the right (both figuratively and literally) side of the structure was reportedly inaccessible by its owner despite not playing a part in this mess. Whoever was in charge apparently felt the whole thing might go at any minute. You know what, New York? Us smaller cities will keep our concrete parking garages, thank you very much. Thanks for the tip, Mel!

Autoblog

I can't see Jason Statham (The Transporter series) performing his parking garage heroics in one of these structures. For better or for worse I'd like to know where it was fabricated and the circumstances surrounding it's assembly. And what grade of fasteners were used and where they originated.

That's odd. I wonder what failed, and if it was related to operator error. Most of those parking widgets are pretty robust... at least as robust as four post lifts used for auto repair. And those are only three high. There are some six level ones down in Tribeca.

Bendpak sells those for personal garage storage, for as low as $2K, as well. They even have a one post one! But its like $7K. Cheaper than building a bigger garage in some cases, but this kinda scares me now.

That's odd. I wonder what failed, and if it was related to operator error. Most of those parking widgets are pretty robust... at least as robust as four post lifts used for auto repair. And those are only three high. There are some six level ones down in Tribeca.

Bendpak sells those for personal garage storage, for as low as $2K, as well. They even have a one post one! But its like $7K. Cheaper than building a bigger garage in some cases, but this kinda scares me now.

$2k to build something that will support 2 or 3 cars? No thanks.

Looks about as robust as a card pyramid in the wind.

$2k to build something that will support 2 or 3 cars? No thanks.

Looks about as robust as a card pyramid in the wind.

Mindbending is that Bendpak also sells four post lifts for tractor trailers for about $10K. When I look at the picture, it looks photoshopped to me.

I'm sure the Lexus owner will beg to differ about it being photshopped.

No, no... I mean the picture in the BendPak catalog with a giant Peterbuilt sitting on four little posts looked photoshopped.

The picture in NYC with cars scattered about looks quite real.

They use these things all the time in Japan and Europe as I have seen them. This is the first one I have seen fail. Course probably due to the greedy NY scum for not doing the routine maintinance.