Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FUTURE_OF_GM

I rode in a brand new Corolla XLE yesterday

145 posts in this topic

Is this REALLY what everyone is so excited about? Is this REALLY 'markedly' better than the domestics?!?! LOL... What a scam!!!

I mean, I know the Corolla is no star and it certainly isn't top of the class. But people buy them in DROVES only to think that they're somehow a superior offering to GM/Ford/Chrysler.

I guess perception really is everything.

The entire car screamed *CHEAP!!!* to me... I mean, talk about a sea of hard, mismatched plastics! Even the design and layout looked like something out of Fisher-Price. Gawdy buttons and Rubbermaid controls... A sea of gray on light gray with little or horrible texture. Fake woould that looked like it had been airbrushed.

I'm just floored...

One interesting note... The windshield wiper was flopping/rattling with the wind. I'm thinking, this car hasn't even got 2,000 miles on it and what a blatant and obvious defect.

Oh, and I also enjoyed how Toyota slapped a big black strip pf paint on the B-pillar to hide the fact that the door don't exactly meet. LOL. PERFECT.

This just makes me that much more pissed off about the position the domestics are in. I almost hope they DO comeback with 3-4 strong brands just so they can TIME WARP these asian assholes on the technology/fit front and gain customers back.

Never discount the pandering ethic of a homogeneous experience. Like Disney World. Hannah What's-her-name and the Jonas Brothers.

My gram and pap used to have one a while back then it got repossed. I couldn't even fit in the damn thing, and you are right it was pretty cheap.

Haven't ridden in one of the newer ones. I have a friend w/ a '93 and a couple others w/ 2000 vintage or so. Best memory was going out to lunch, 4 people in an '00, and myself and another guy that were riding in the back having to get out so the car would clear a parking lot speed bump..

One guy I worked w/ for years drove a '99 Corolla, but he recently stepped up to an ES350.

Edited by moltar

Really sad cars....

Chris

Really sad cars....

Chris

Yes, just purely functional A-B transport modules. No character or personality at all. But, that's what it seems the public prefers today...

Edited by moltar

Well there's a surprise, FOG doesn't like a Corolla. :rolleyes::P

I haven't remotely liked them since the `93 -`97 model, and even then I prefer the Prizm (except for a few functional aspects).

The masses buy them because the Corolla has long been the stalwart of cheap, practical, economical, and reliable. And hey, you put it up against what the Domestics had to offer up until recently and it was 100% accurate. It earned the reputation and won't soon loose it.

Well there's a surprise, FOG doesn't like a Corolla. :rolleyes::P

I haven't remotely liked them since the `93 -`97 model, and even then I prefer the Prizm (except for a few functional aspects).

The masses buy them because the Corolla has long been the stalwart of cheap, practical, economical, and reliable. And hey, you put it up against what the Domestics had to offer up until recently and it was 100% accurate. It earned the reputation and won't soon loose it.

I wonder how they can make it so crappy and its still reliable? :scratchchin:

I wonder how they can make it so crappy and its still reliable? :scratchchin:

Define "crappy". If you define them as crappy than the Cavilers were "utter $h!"...which is pretty true.

Corolla is a penalty box for the stupid.

I'm going to politely tell you to screw off, since the Prizm is basically a Corolla.

I'm going to politely tell you to screw off, since the Prizm is basically a Corolla.

And I'll politely ignore that.

So we're stupid because we have one. Boy that's an intelligent assessment. :rolleyes:

I'd hardly call the Corolla owners I know 'stupid', they tend to be very practical but frugal people... I know people w/ 6 figure incomes that drive Corollas. They just aren't car enthusiasts, that's all. Nothing wrong with that. Some of the sharpest techies I've worked with over the years drive Corollas, Civics, Camrys, and Accords.

Edited by moltar

I have to agree. It is a really boring car and isn't any better than the superior Honda Civic or Ford Focus.

Some peopel just think that everyone should have V8's and RWD and if they don't they are lesser people because of it. Friend of mine has a `93 Corolla. Why? Because he just wants cheap transportation so he can put money into his motorcycle.

But he's a lesser person because he is more into motorcycles than cars.

We have the Prizm because it was basically given to Jessica, and is frugal, fairly reliable, cheap t insure, and serves as a commuter car while say, my car is in pieces as I build it up.

But We're stupid.

just slap an arrowhead on it, then its EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey I've got few...

People who live in the past are stupid

People who only buy American made even if it's not made in America and the product is inferior are stupid.

People who are too blinded by their emotional attachments to brands to see the bigger picture are stupid.

See? I can be an asshole too.

:angry:

just slap an arrowhead on it, then its EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They already have remember?

2009_pontiac_vibe_official_image003.jpg

This makes me think..did Pontiac in Canada have a version of the Corolla or Prizm?

What does that make people who support American workers by buying Canadian-built CUVs with Chinese-made engines?

And the current Corolla is an ok vehicle, better than the Cobalt, thats for damn sure.

Hey I've got few...

People who live in the past are stupid

People who only buy American made even if it's not made in America and the product is inferior are stupid.

People who are too blinded by their emotional attachments to brands to see the bigger picture are stupid.

See? I can be an asshole too.

:angry:

Well, you managed to get ONE sentence correct above!

Couldn't resist, sorry. :neenerneener:

What does that make people who support American workers by buying Canadian-built CUVs with Chinese-made engines?

And the current Corolla is an ok vehicle, better than the Cobalt, thats for damn sure.

I don't personally like the current Corolla...it looks like a melted version of the last gen, which looks like a bloated version of the gen before that.

I just really despise how people think that because you own a type of car you're a lesser person.

Not everyone wants 68973421325324.6 horsepower from 98 cylinders and a 2 speed manual, 6 frames under the body and with no pillars.

Or maybe they have one already and just want a daily driver?

Define "crappy". If you define them as crappy than the Cavilers were "utter $h!"...which is pretty true.

I agree with the Cavalier comment 100% GF had one, and that will be the LAST one she EVER has. Crappy as in cheap materials and being put together, kinda like the Cavalier... :)

Psssssht....you're wasting too much time in the "real world" where people spend 45 minutes a day at stop lights and another 20 minutes a day traveling at under 30mph.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room